Texas Fishing Forum

Jack Hammer Chatterbait

Posted By: Cliff31

Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 12:02 PM

Is this thing worth the $15.99 price tag?

Anybody got feedback compared to a regular chatterbait? I hate to drop that much on a single lure.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 12:06 PM

Shop around online, they can be had for around $10-12 and yes their worth it.
Posted By: bigal12

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 12:13 PM

It may get a few extra bites. For a tournament angler it would be worth it. For someone like myself that fun fishes, I can’t justify the cost. I’ve caught a ton of fish on the original chatter bait. The right trailers seem to make more of a difference to me.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 12:15 PM

In my opinion, the elite version is the closest and compared catch rates have been 1 to 1 in my boat versus the jackhammer. It has a head that the blade contacts just like the jackhammer. To me, the elite is just as good especially in grass or around cover
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 12:27 PM

Its better. I recently ordered some "Jacky Hamars" that look very similar for $4 a piece. We'll see how they do! lol
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
Its better. I recently ordered some "Jacky Hamars" that look very similar for $4 a piece. We'll see how they do! lol

I caught one on the hammar last trip out.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 01:00 PM

Nope. They are not worth double, or triple, the price of a similar bait.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by bigal12
It may get a few extra bites. For a tournament angler it would be worth it. For someone like myself that fun fishes, I can’t justify the cost. I’ve caught a ton of fish on the original chatter bait. The right trailers seem to make more of a difference to me.

This ^^ If you are just starting out using a bladed jig or fish it occasionally, I don't think you will see much difference to justify the cost. I have quite a few Jack Hammers, but still find myself using the original the most. The current "originals" are a lot better than the original "original" versions.

The TW Z-Man Chatterbait Custom is an upgraded version for only a dollar or two more.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z-Man_Chatterbait_Custom/descpage-ZMANCCH.html

I like it better than the Elite version. I have issues with the older Elites taking awhile for the blade to get started after the cast.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 02:03 PM

Yes, to me they are. Seems they work just a tad better than others.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 02:14 PM

Yes, put one of these on it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: TheHaydonSmith

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 03:10 PM

We run both in our boat. I use each depending on situation! Both get bites and are durable though
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 03:18 PM

There is a reason they are 16bucks. They are worth it. Just caught my PB a few weeks ago on one. 5 fish over 6 this year alone. No other chatterbait is as effective. Period. In my opinion its something in the blade. Ultra thin and ultra stiff. It almost has a harmonic vibe. Not buying the plastic "stealth" blade nonsense. The remaining components are top of the line quality as well. It seems the hook set is always perfectly planted in the roof of the mouth or up through the nose. If you disagree with any of this then fine....keep using lower quality and less effective baits.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by mossyback75
There is a reason they are 16bucks. They are worth it. Just caught my PB a few weeks ago on one. 5 fish over 6 this year alone. No other chatterbait is as effective. Period. In my opinion its something in the blade. Ultra thin and ultra stiff. It almost has a harmonic vibe. Not buying the plastic "stealth" blade nonsense. The remaining components are top of the line quality as well. It seems the hook set is always perfectly planted in the roof of the mouth or up through the nose. If you disagree with any of this then fine....keep using lower quality and less effective baits.

Yeah the plastic lip JH's are not as effective.
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
In my opinion, the elite version is the closest and compared catch rates have been 1 to 1 in my boat versus the jackhammer. It has a head that the blade contacts just like the jackhammer. To me, the elite is just as good especially in grass or around cover

I agree with Jarrett Latta, but I actually believe the Elite's are better than the Jackhammer's. The Elite's catch just as many fish, they are more reasonably priced and are more durable. I've owned two Jackhammer's and both only lasted a short time with damage coming from fishing stumps.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by GTrigg

I agree with Jarrett Latta, but I actually believe the Elite's are better than the Jackhammer's. The Elite's catch just as many fish, they are more reasonably priced and are more durable. I've owned two Jackhammer's and both only lasted a short time with damage coming from fishing stumps.

Going to have to agree to disagree. The jackhammers are not only better quality but they get bit more in my opinion. Never had one damaged even after fishing rock, grass, or wood. The jackhammers also come in 3/4oz and 1 1/4oz for offshore fishing which the elites do not. Offshore I have abused jackhammers against ledges and rockpiles without an issue. To me the blade alone on a jackhammer is worth the price. It is thinner and harder and designed in a shape that gives it almost a hum kinda which makes all the difference. I am always one to recognize overpriced hype but when it comes to the jackhammer the proof is in the performance. I struggled to even catch fish on chatterbaits before which included the elites. Now its a go to bait.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 07:40 PM

First bladed jigs i owned were bought from Lake Fork Trophy Lures. Bought 8 of them and absolutely hammered the fish on them. My first bladed jig fish was nearly 6 lbs out of a brush pile we had fished for about 30 mins or so with jigs, spinnerbaits, and softplastics. I was hooked from then on.

When i started running low i bought several different brands and models and nothing seemed to catch them like the 2 remaining lures from LFTL.

Finally bought a couple jackhammers and catches went up, but i still believe the ones i bought were from LFTL. I think the gentleman that was making them passed away.

I cant tell you what was different about them, but i can tell you i threw jackhammers when fishing for fun and saved those for tourney day.

Now, i pretty much only own jackhammers and only throw them on 20 lb fluoro or 65# braid.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 09:11 PM

Where does one buy the Jacky Hammars?
Posted By: goodman_fishing

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Huckleberry

Check out the Zman razor shadz, they'll last forever and I find they work the same.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 09:47 PM

To the original question, I gave away my other chatterbaits, all I use are jackhammers.

I have confidence in it, I feel it performs better and it has better components, justifies the additional cost pretty easily.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 09:54 PM

Jackhammer = Gold

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 10:12 PM

After this post, the price for Jack Hammers just went up!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Where does one but the Jacky Hammars?

Chinese junk sites, I had my wife order me a few, been a month and half and they still aren’t here. Supposed to arrive at the end of April.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff31
Is this thing worth the $15.99 price tag?

Anybody got feedback compared to a regular chatterbait? I hate to drop that much on a single lure.

Are they worth the price? No but what is nowadays?

Will they get more bites day-in & day-out than any other bladed jig? Absolutely!

I sound like a broken record but the stock snap will fail after 25-30 two to 3 pound fish. I change it out before I throw it.
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/07/22 11:30 PM

BS Construction Supply Co. banana

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/08/22 01:24 AM

coach $14 jackhammers here

https://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/z-man-evergreen-jack-hammer-chatterbait.html
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/08/22 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Delvec

BS Construction Supply Co. banana

either there or from jacky chan
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/08/22 01:47 AM

Never used one, too much for me for a chatter bait. I do buy the elites and like them.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/08/22 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by goodman_fishing
Originally Posted by Huckleberry

Check out the Zman razor shadz, they'll last forever and I find they work the same.

BPS has a knock off of these yammamotos
Posted By: Theroofingguy

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/08/22 03:31 PM

Only bait I’m throwing right now in fire craw
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/11/22 01:05 AM

Do any of you ever throw one without a trailer? Just wondering if it would work ok like that. I rarely use a trailer on a spinner bait and it seems to work just fine like that.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/11/22 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Do any of you ever throw one without a trailer? Just wondering if it would work ok like that. I rarely use a trailer on a spinner bait and it seems to work just fine like that.

Match the hatch. If the shad are small I go without a trailer and have done very well with it.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 04/11/22 02:32 AM

I always use a trailer. For a smaller presentation I like a 4in hazedong with the head bit off. For a craw presentation a bandito bug is hard to beat. For a bluegill presentation a kietech or other larger boot tail. I always try to compact the package by getting the appendages or the paddle tail to start just after the skirt.
Posted By: ZX4545

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/06/22 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Chinese junk sites, I had my wife order me a few, been a month and half and they still aren’t here. Supposed to arrive at the end of April.

They ever show up?
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/06/22 07:22 PM

Had our top 10 Championship on Lake Leon last weekend.

I weighed in an 8.5, 6.34, 6.3, 5.2, and 2 over 4.

Broke off an 8+ on day 1 that wrapped me around a dock pole, and still had ~44 lbs after both days.

All fish but 1 were caught on an original chatterbait, $5.99 version.

Plenty of jackhammers were thrown all day that day. 2nd place was ~34 lbs, but those fish weren't caught on chatterbaits.

I think there are other factors more important than jackhammer vs original........................
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/06/22 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by GTrigg

i agree with this also. Recent outing I am using the jackhammer and my son is using an Elite out of the back of the boat. We were on a really good chatterbait bight but he was catching three to my one on that Elite and it's the only one that he had. I finally said what the heck and just for the heck of it tied on an original chatterbait and started wacking them fish for fish with him. Possibly a coincidence but my confidence in the $15.00 jackhammers was severely diminished based on this particular outing. They all catch fish and if anything I believe the Elite might be the best out of the bunch.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/06/22 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ZX4545

They ever show up?

They arrived 2-3 days ago, I’ll post some pics around 6pm.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/06/22 08:43 PM

Depends on the situation for me. Around grass the jackhammer is almost impossible to beat in my opinion. You can give the jackhammer a hard pull when it gets fouled with grass and it usually cleans right off. No idea why but the cheaper chatterbaits don't do that. Around wood I go with the original. Seems to me the jackhammer just stays hung up no matter what I try. Maybe it's a mental thing knowing you are likely to lose a $15 bait the next cast, but it sure seems to me the original is better around wood. At bare minimum I think it's just as good.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/06/22 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Depends on the situation for me. Around grass the jackhammer is almost impossible to beat in my opinion. You can give the jackhammer a hard pull when it gets fouled with grass and it usually cleans right off. No idea why but the cheaper chatterbaits don't do that. Around wood I go with the original. Seems to me the jackhammer just stays hung up no matter what I try. Maybe it's a mental thing knowing you are likely to lose a $15 bait the next cast, but it sure seems to me the original is better around wood. At bare minimum I think it's just as good.

Put a 1/2 oz jackhammer versus a 1/2oz elite in pool and get underwater with goggles on. You'll see and hear why the elite catches them just as good

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/06/22 10:27 PM

These are the ones I bought, paid something like $2-$3 each, been too long to remember. Cheap ones look like clones, 2 minor differences. Single keeper on the cheap one and the hook reminds me of a Trokar style.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/07/22 09:36 AM

Zman Project Z for the win
Posted By: 361V

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/07/22 10:37 AM

Here is a great trailer choice when you don’t want a big bulky trailer. Doesn’t interfere w/the Chatterbaits own action but really has a good “shimmy” in the water. Smaller profile, cheap and I use em all the time: [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tyler Kalishek

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/07/22 07:56 PM

Jackhammers are totally worth it to me. Project Z is my other go to. I haven’t caught a dang thing on a Thunder Cricket. I also got a Jacky Hammar and they do look nice. For some reason it only let me order one though. I got it 30 days sooner than they said too

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/07/22 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ZX4545

They ever show up?

They arrived 2-3 days ago, I’ll post some pics around 6pm.

Those look pretty danged good. Did you change the snap on the bait on the right? Thats a Cross-Lock snap

[Linked Image]

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/07/22 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Those look pretty danged good. Did you change the snap on the bait on the right? Thats a Cross-Lock snap

No sir, that’s how it came from factory.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/07/22 09:06 PM

Strange... So one came with a regular cheap-O snap and the other came with the cross-loc?

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/08/22 02:55 AM

Strange... So one came with a regular cheap-O snap and the other came with the cross-loc?

The bait on the left is the Chinese cheap knock off, the one on the right is a jackhammer.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/08/22 02:52 PM

The bait on the left is the Chinese cheap knock off, the one on the right is a jackhammer.

I see. You must've changed the snap on the one on the right cuz that ain't stock.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/08/22 09:00 PM

I see. You must've changed the snap on the one on the right cuz that ain't stock.

Nope, it’s how mine are. They must have changed them from what you had, 2 are fairly new, the bottom one is 8 months old or so.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Diezel_Rocker

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/09/22 01:45 PM

The biggest advantage to a Jackhammer is that it starts vibrating the second it hits the water. It also is much better at clearing grass and getting back into action. I also love the Elites. The Elite was my main before I started using Jackhammers. I will still throw the Elites and definitely don't feel I am at a disadvantage.

I don't necessarily think one is better than the other but I do think there are times when one will out fish the other dramatically. They sound slightly different and have a slightly different behavior in the water. It is more like a traditional rattletrap vs a one knocker.

All things being equal, if i show up at a new lake with no data I will probably throw a green pumpkin Jackhammer. If the water is really muddy I will go black/blue.
Posted By: prosise

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/09/22 02:16 PM

I don't know if it's just me, but I really put some time on the water the last two years and still haven't put a fish in the boat during the day with a chatterbait. I have done really well at night, and early sunrise with them using darker colors. I know it can be done, as my fishing buddy uses them and he catches fish (daytime). I use the old outdated bait called the spinnerbait an equal amount of time and catch fish. But I am a firm believer in "it's not the arrow, it's the indian..". I love a slow rolling spinnerbait, and love when the fish nearly jerk the rod out of your hands.

I have a couple jack hammer's, and they are in darker colors but haven't used them yet. Have a bunch of the Academy beand in the boat. Full moon summer fishing is right around the corner. I guess i need to watch some YouTube videos on how to work them. Im working it the same as I use a spinnerbait with an added occasionl pump action like a swimming jig. Might be all in my head, only time will tell. As for spinnerbaits I go big, or go home. Biggest willow you can find, and have favored the terminator brand since the 90's when I used to buy them at an old fishing tackle store that I think used to be on Lamar street. I used to buy Terry Oldham's jigs there, as well as the terminator spinnerbaits. Allot of fishing is confidence in the lure, and I think this helps in it's effectiveness.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/10/22 01:18 PM

If the blade is not connected directly to the hook eye, save your money
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/10/22 01:37 PM

Don't know this for an absolute 100% fact, but I'm pretty sure Z-Man has a lock on the design of attaching the blade to the hook eye. One of the bait shops around Lake Fork was selling some knock offs with this design and had to quit selling them.Strike King sells the Thunder Crickett I believe, and I heard they either paid up front, or pay as they go for this design.Like I say, this is educated speculation, since I dont know anybody from Z-Man to confirm

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/10/22 01:44 PM

Z-Man had a design patent...had being the keyword or at least that's what I'm being told. Back in the day you would get a cease / desist letter if they felt you were in violation of patent infringement. Now that time has come and gone, so in theory you can use the hook / blade without it becoming a legal issue.

Foot note: You still need to change the overall design by over 10% or something like that.

Wish I were smart enough to know this. I'd be rich! AHAHHAHAHAH

PS: I have several of the first release Jack Hammers, the snaps appear to be more dull in finish and look like they're smaller and tighter in the fit / finish. The last few I had had a shiny more chrome looking snap that seemed to have more play in it.

Maybe they're running into supply issues like the rest of us and using what is available and it's not the same OG quality. I'll see if I can dig up an example...as I lost one the other day to tree-pounder.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/10/22 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by HARD WORKN HAROLD
Don't know this for an absolute 100% fact, but I'm pretty sure Z-Man has a lock on the design of attaching the blade to the hook eye. One of the bait shops around Lake Fork was selling some knock offs with this design and had to quit selling them.Strike King sells the Thunder Crickett I believe, and I heard they either paid up front, or pay as they go for this design.Like I say, this is educated speculation, since I dont know anybody from Z-Man to confirm

That is correct. Phoenix was making a bladed jig that was a great lure. Zman forced them to cease production. Now they sell components.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/10/22 05:23 PM

The Chinese ones are exact copies, the ones I have atleast. $2.50 each.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/11/22 01:42 AM

The Chinese ones are exact copies, the ones I have atleast. $2.50 each.

when you gonna share the plug? Tried to use your pic to see what to look for in the ones I bought. I got the ones grout got but from a different place. Very similar head, blade, [censored] snap though and sticky hook....but the hook is a bit longer than on my jackhammers. Wondering if I got the ones you got....cuz the pic you posted looked spot on as duplicates!
Posted By: RKT

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/11/22 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
Z-Man had a design patent...had being the keyword or at least that's what I'm being told. Back in the day you would get a cease / desist letter if they felt you were in violation of patent infringement. Now that time has come and gone, so in theory you can use the hook / blade without it becoming a legal issue.

Foot note: You still need to change the overall design by over 10% or something like that.

PS: I have several of the first release Jack Hammers, the snaps appear to be more dull in finish and look like they're smaller and tighter in the fit / finish. The last few I had had a shiny more chrome looking snap that seemed to have more play in it.

Maybe they're running into supply issues like the rest of us and using what is available and it's not the same OG quality. I'll see if I can dig up an example...as I lost one the other day to tree-pounder.

I think Z-man got their patent in June of 2010. If I am correct a design patent completed at that time is good for 14 years. If that is so the patent should still be good for two more years. Where did you see that the time has come and gone for the patent?

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/11/22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by RKT

I think Z-man got their patent in June of 2010. If I am correct a design patent completed at that time is good for 14 years. If that is so the patent should still be good for two more years. Where did you see that the time has come and gone for the patent?

10 years is how long a patent holds, at least that's what it was for several of my Grandpa's patents. If it's 14 then there are bait makers that better remain hidden. roflmao
Posted By: RKT

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/11/22 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by RKT

10 years is how long a patent holds, at least that's what it was for several of my Grandpa's patents. If it's 14 then there are bait makers that better remain hidden. roflmao

So what then would be considered a 10% change on a chatterbait? Would a different hook and a different line tie be enough for 10%? Why have all the other companies not resumed making the baits they had to stop making because of the lawsuits?

After some research I see that the patent has an adjusted expiration date of 02/04/2026
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/11/22 09:55 PM

Omnia has Jackhammers on sale right now for 25% off. That puts them at $11.99 each.

Re: Jack Hammer Chatterbait - 05/12/22 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by RKT
Originally Posted by RKT

So what then would be considered a 10% change on a chatterbait? Would a different hook and a different line tie be enough for 10%? Why have all the other companies not resumed making the baits they had to stop making because of the lawsuits?

After some research I see that the patent has an adjusted expiration date of 02/04/2026

The patent is on the connection point where the blade meets the jig. To skirt this one could use a split ring, or like the Melee use a different connection point. Etc...

PS: I'm not a lawyer nor did I play one on TV. So take what I'm saying as just opinions.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum