Texas Fishing Forum

Athens

Posted By: BassLakeFork

Athens - 03/30/22 11:09 AM

Taking a newbie to Athens tomorrow to hopefully catch his first bass. Any reports or recommendations?
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: Athens - 03/30/22 12:26 PM

Man I’m not being ugly or rude but it’s April in texas, you should be able to catch bass pretty much any way you fish right now. Wacky worm, t-rig, c-rig, jerk bait, spinnerbait, crankbait, drop shot, should all get you bit from 15’ all the way up to the bank.
Posted By: BassLakeFork

Re: Athens - 03/30/22 12:53 PM

He will be happy with just one. Was hoping I could tie him on a top water for the extra show.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Athens - 03/30/22 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BassLakeFork
He will be happy with just one. Was hoping I could tie him on a top water for the extra show.

A frog is always a fun choice when they're up shallow and they don't take a ton of skill to use. After that I'd say have him a senko type lure tied on for the day. Not too many hang ups, easy to use, and catches em. Have fun!
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Athens - 03/30/22 02:28 PM

Target 6 to 10 foot of water. Had a tournament on Athens saturday and a lot of small fish and one over 21 came in.. Some bass were on beds but most were looking for a date still...We caught some slot fish on wacky worms, chatter baits and shaky heads...
Posted By: TheHaydonSmith

Re: Athens - 03/30/22 02:58 PM

Stay off my lake! Joking, Athens should have fish dirt shallow right now and on 5-8ft grass edges!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Athens - 03/30/22 03:32 PM

Tye him on a weightless or split shot fluke. watermelon red and dip the tip of the tail in some chartreuse dye
Posted By: Big C

Re: Athens - 03/30/22 04:38 PM

I was out there last week trying to stay away from the wind on Fork. It started off slow and the action came in spurts, but ended up with a fair amount (15-20) with nothing big (a couple of 4 lbers which were up on beds), but in the end made for a fair day. As has been said, this time of year, you can usually fish pretty much anyway you want.
Posted By: Fishin4BassOnly

Re: Athens - 04/01/22 03:21 AM

Are the fish starting to bed? I’ve only fished Athens a few times. Great lake. For those who fish it often, what part of the lake warms first? Thanks!
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Athens - 04/01/22 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fishin4BassOnly
Are the fish starting to bed? I’ve only fished Athens a few times. Great lake. For those who fish it often, what part of the lake warms first? Thanks!

yes they are on beds and a bunch we looking...Go just about anywhere and you will see some.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum