Texas Fishing Forum

Which Rod Would You Buy?

Posted By: Topwater2

Which Rod Would You Buy? - 03/26/22 04:17 PM

Looking for a casting rod for mainly skip jigs. It will have a Revo SX 6.6:1 sitting in the seat. Priced somewhere from $100 to $150, might stretch it to $200. What do you have in mind? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Which Rod Would You Buy? - 03/26/22 04:41 PM

Dobyns
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Which Rod Would You Buy? - 03/26/22 05:30 PM

For skipping jigs, I’d prefer to not use a broomstick. I’d want something with a more moderate flex for sidearm and roll skipping.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Which Rod Would You Buy? - 03/26/22 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
For skipping jigs, I’d prefer to not use a broomstick. I’d want something with a more moderate flex for sidearm and roll skipping.

[Linked Image]

Too long. I’d suggest the same brand and series in a Lizard Dragger.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Which Rod Would You Buy? - 03/26/22 09:54 PM

Everyone skips, slides, pitches, side arm sweeps and however else you’d like to describe it differently. For me my favorite rod is a St.Croix Avid SCVIII 7’ MH F 10-20# line class. I build rods and I have tried many times to build myself the ultimate dock flipping rod using different high end blanks and I haven’t yet been able to find a blank that performs better as far as flipping docks goes. I’m 6’0” tall and I’ve tried all different lengths, 7’ is the best for me.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Which Rod Would You Buy? - 03/26/22 10:29 PM

A lot depends on how tall you are and how you skip.

I love my Dobyns 6'10" champion series made to skip docks
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Which Rod Would You Buy? - 03/27/22 12:57 AM

Dobyns Champion 684 with a Daiwa Tatula SV TW 7.3-1. Fantastic set up for skipping docks.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Which Rod Would You Buy? - 03/27/22 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Everyone skips, slides, pitches, side arm sweeps and however else you’d like to describe it differently. For me my favorite rod is a St.Croix Avid SCVIII 7’ MH F 10-20# line class. I build rods and I have tried many times to build myself the ultimate dock flipping rod using different high end blanks and I haven’t yet been able to find a blank that performs better as far as flipping docks goes. I’m 6’0” tall and I’ve tried all different lengths, 7’ is the best for me.

I have that exact rod and my favorite for many years. Once fought a 100+ tarpon on it for 3 1/2 hours from kayak, dragged me over 6 miles at night in Biscayne Bay Florida.
cheers Intentionally busted it off when tide changed and it was headed down current and out to sea under the bridge at Bear Cut where monster hammerheads were usually waiting in the bridge shadow line.

[Linked Image]

picture from that night fighting it... had sportfishing boat stop to see what I was doing in middle of channel around 4:30 in the morning ... he climbed into tuna tower and put spotlight on fish... laughed and said I wouldn't land it before daylight... broke it off afterwards. good memories of that rod.. had welts all around my stomach where had butt dug in.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Which Rod Would You Buy? - 03/27/22 10:11 PM

Falcon Lowrider Finesse Jig.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum