Texas Fishing Forum

Where do people get their money?

Posted By: yamaha runner

Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 10:47 PM

I’ve never seen such a high demand for high end electronics and new boats. This stuff is expensive. I see $100k rigs daily with all the fixins. Are people just going into long term debt for an opportunity to catch more fish?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 10:51 PM

Stimulus checks.
Posted By: Jezreel

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 10:56 PM

Good Question. . .

I certainly ain’t me, I’m in a kayak😬.
Posted By: Bassnhog

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Stimulus checks.

If they received a stimulus check, and have a 100K rig, they are in long-term debt.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:01 PM

All I can afford is the graphs, I don’t know how people afford the new boats.

And I’m not hating, I’m a bit envious that I’m too stupid too figure out how to make that much.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:02 PM

I went to Ivie 2 winters ago (last winter) and my mind was blown how many people had it then, and im sure that numbers probably doubled since then. I have heard on the podcasts that because of stimulus and being forced to stay home for months (and some continuing to work while doing that) americans have lots in savings. I believe it. With inflation though, you should start seeing a lot of stuff for sale from those getting out over there skis after getting an extra 0 at the end of the bank account balance from lockdowns and all that that included.

And....someone mentioned it in the "is he right?" thread. Is livescope really that expensive relative to what hardcore bass guys like most of us spend? I seen those walleye guys rigs too and theyd make some of you guys with fancy bass boats a little jealous! I think that a big reason livescope and electronics in general are so expensive is because the market will bear it. Is it a coincidence all the makers set ups are similarly priced? Did they all do the exact same R&D and have the same expense? Doubtful....especially considering some of the lawsuits between the electronics brands. But theyre all around the same price. Electronics are priced where they are because they know we will pay it. People spend $200 on a bait, $2500+ for a trolling motor, $500 for a combo.....is livescope really that expensive in the grand scheme of things?
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:12 PM

They are cheap if you get a payment for 240 months. scared
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:14 PM

Youtube helps
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:19 PM

Pimpin ain't easy....
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:27 PM

I have a good paying job. I owe about $4000 on my house. Everything else is paid for, including my two kids’ college tuition.

It’s called planning and working. It ain’t easy.

Btw, I have a $40k boat. But my friends have more expensive 21 footers. Some of them paid as much as $43,000.

I haven’t seen too many $100k boats. And I fish 3-4 days a week.
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:39 PM

....and they're driving a 80k truck.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I have a good paying job. I owe about $4000 on my house. Everything else is paid for, including my two kids’ college tuition.

Btw, I have a $40k boat. But my friends have more expensive 21 footers. Some of them paid as much as $43,000

You need to come to west texas.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:43 PM

Well I know no one who bass boat costsa 100000 but several who bought 55 or 60 and some have long term loans.
I think they must consider it renting lol. The repo man can have it when their done fishing.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/22/22 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46
Well I know no one who bass boat costsa 100000 but several who bought 55 or 60 and some have long term loans.
I think they must consider it renting lol. The repo man can have it when their done fishing.

roflmao

I told myself I was gonna buy a really nice, newer repo….but they ain’t showing up on the bank lots nearly as fast as I thought they would.
….but it’s only $600 a month for forever. Hahahaha

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:04 AM

Well when everyone gets their graphs, 360s, and live scopes that are on back order, we’ll all be fishing in the middle of the lake for leery fish since everyone seems to have limitless funding for all that stuff
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:12 AM

Neighbor sells trucks, he says everyone is broke and gets loans. Debt free here, bought a new boat 2 years ago. Dave Ramsey works.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:13 AM

Btw, I have a $40k boat. But my friends have more expensive 21 footers. Some of them paid as much as $43,000.

So take a new $75k boat. Add taxes, extended warranties, dealer prep, bla bla. Now it’s really $85k. Add your lithium batteries, 2 more big graphs, 360, live scope, mounts, power pole charger, bla bla. You get to $100k quicker than you think

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Neighbor sells trucks, he says everyone is broke and gets loans. Debt free here, bought a new boat 2 years ago. Dave Ramsey works.

Yes!!!! His program sure does!!

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by yamaha runner

So take a new $75k boat. Add taxes, extended warranties, dealer prep, bla bla. Now it’s really $85k. Add your lithium batteries, 2 more big graphs, 360, live scope, mounts, power pole charger, bla bla. You get to $100k quicker than you think

I still don’t see them.

I MAYBE have seen one, but it was only close. It was a new Caymas. Beautiful boat. Guy floated it for the first time in front of me one day. He said it was just under $80k…with 4 12” graphs and all the options. That was last year.

Of course these guys buying boats from BassPro, and financing for 240 months, are probably paying $100,000 plus after interest. Hahahaha……ON A Z18!!!
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:59 AM

Head down, azzz up!! It's called work! eeks
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:04 AM

I can say that we're blessed with what we have...I have worked my rear off years to get what we have.

Do I have a boat loan? Yes, but I pay it on time and always more than what is due.
Do I flinch at the price of some fishing equipment? Sure do! The costs of some things are ridiculous to me.
Would I buy a boat that is $80K....not right now. More important things to me in my life than Keeping up with the Kardashians.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:26 AM

Most earn it.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:30 AM

Bunch of coins made off of payroll protection plan, people getting 200 grand and their companies never missed a lick of work in west Texas
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:43 AM

You know folks there is a thing out there called capitalism. People start companies grow them and sell them. Some get jobs where they work hard move up and get stock options and bust their [censored] to exercise them. Some are part of the lucky sperm club. Not me.

Don’t over think it. Be smart with your money take care of your family’s and kids. Go fishing and let it go. I honestly can’t believe this post showed up on fishing forum.

You’ll be happier in the long run.
Posted By: MB Champ

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:48 AM

Used a hand me down Ranger for awhile and "made payments" to a savings account monthly for 6 years, then paid cash for a 40,000 boat. Took me over a year of looking to find it but there's deals out there.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:53 AM

Stimulus checks.

What’s a stimulus check?
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:53 AM

I frequently wonder the same thing. When I go to Vegas, I'm also amazed at how busy the $25 ante black jack tables are. When I go to Cedar Creek or Cypress Springs or PK, I look at the number of million dollar + homes there are and wonder who's making all of this money.

Americans are really good at spending money on what they want, then griping about not having enough money for what they need.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:17 AM

Just bought a 10-year-old boat with low hours and paid about a 20% down payment on it and financed the rest at a credit union I've done business with for the past 30 years on a loan at less than 3%. I also got the seller to come off the asking price some as well so I'm in my rig in an affordable situation to me and if at any point I need out or want to step up to a new or newer rig I can do it anytime I want.
Sometimes you just have to think things through. I had the time to put things to paper and know where I wanted to be financially with a boat, and I followed that plan to the letter. Yes, there are $100k boats out there and I may own one but not at that price.
Not to long into the future I figure there is going to be a flood of bass boats on the market where people have bought them then suddenly realize they aren't using them nowhere near as much as they thought they would or even at all, then they'll get cheaper, maybe a lot cheaper. As many that have been sold in the past couple of years if a big enough portion wind up back on the market it may slow the new boat market way down as well and bring prices down on that end too. My two cents.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Stimulus checks.

What’s a stimulus check?

Something I never got.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:31 AM

Stimulus checks.

What’s a stimulus check?

Something I never got.

I feel your pain
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:35 AM

I got mine from my wife

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:37 AM

Stimulus checks.

What’s a stimulus check?

Something I never got.

When I was talking to dealers before I finally purchased a couple of them told me that almost all their sales were cash on the higher end bass rigs and that entrepreneurs were getting the business stimulus money (PPP?) and spending that for a bass boat and other luxury items as well. I would assume as some sort of business expense which would probably come with a tax break.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:41 AM

Honestly money is too cheap to spend over $80K liquid on anything at the present moment.

In the past I paid cash for boats, now my money can make a lot more than the sub 4% interest on a boat loan. If the ratio makes sense the other way in the future I will pay cash.
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 04:15 AM

Any new Caymas, Phoenix, Ranger, Skeeter, etc. in Fiberglass that's 21' w/ 250 engine, 2-3 graphs, Powerpoles, Spot lock trolling motor, is going to be close to 90k-100k. I recently traded in a 21' 2007 Ranger, 2009 Merc.250(370 hours) original 36v. trolling motor, original graphs, and the dealer gave me 31k for a trade in. I added some savings to it, but then financed the rest with a goal of paying off in 5-6 years.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 09:28 AM

Why would a bunch of adult men want to come on a fishing forum and discuss all their personal finances?
Posted By: Les Ems

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Stimulus checks.

What’s a stimulus check?

Something I never got.

When I was talking to dealers before I finally purchased a couple of them told me that almost all their sales were cash on the higher end bass rigs and that entrepreneurs were getting the business stimulus money (PPP?) and spending that for a bass boat and other luxury items as well. I would assume as some sort of business expense which would probably come with a tax break.

And when they find out that this was fraud, they will get a free trip to the Big House.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 09:30 AM

Stimulus checks.

What’s a stimulus check?

isn't that like "pocket pool?"
Posted By: Power Pole

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 09:58 AM

Crypto. Something I don’t understand
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 11:42 AM

Boats are one thing , homes are the one that is mind blowing

The “damn I am in the wrong business” thought crosses my mind often
Posted By: Brandon Dickenson

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 11:50 AM

I still don’t see them.

I MAYBE have seen one, but it was only close. It was a new Caymas. Beautiful boat. Guy floated it for the first time in front of me one day. He said it was just under $80k…with 4 12” graphs and all the options. That was last year.

Of course these guys buying boats from BassPro, and financing for 240 months, are probably paying $100,000 plus after interest. Hahahaha……ON A Z18!!!

You do, you just may not realize it. Ton of $100k boats out there these days sadly.
Posted By: Brandon Dickenson

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 11:53 AM

Just to add to this post... Some people in this world are heavily leveraged, which is ok, but you have to keep the wheels on the track or else you will be forced to sell off a bunch of assets with job loss etc. There are also a lot of people in this world that make/have a lot more money than you think they just don't talk about it.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 361V
Why would a bunch of adult men want to come on a fishing forum and discuss all their personal finances?

hmmm
Posted By: rickys

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:20 PM

hammer
Posted By: Top Waters

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:36 PM

I still don’t see them.

On an $85K boat financed at 5% for 240 months (20 years) you would pay $49,631 in interest over the life of the loan. Yes, that boat would cost you $134,631 if you chose to pay that long on her. $561/month doesn't sound like that much fun to me.
Posted By: popcork

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:41 PM

This has been an interesting read, I too wonder where people get the money they have. I believe that many people are leveraged to the hilt but I also believe that there are people who manage their money very responsibly and can afford luxuries such as boats. I for one have worked and saved and went without so that I could own such things. My kids college has been paid for by their hard work and some of my cash, every boat that I have owned I bought new and had it for over 10 years. When I paid off the boat, I put money aside each month for the new next boat. I have no credit card debt as I pay it off each month. Basically saying I live within my means. My job of 30+ years has never been at the top of the pay scale.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:45 PM

Yep...anything you buy like this I'd say you need 50% cash down and be able to pay it off in 5-6yrs or you don't need it.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:46 PM

I have the same response to this as Clint Eastwood in Grand Torino when the kid asked how he got so many tools
Posted By: MV

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:50 PM

Congress is talking about now. Sending 100.00 a month for gas. Unbelievable

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by MV

Another loan.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by MV

Another loan.

They are just trying to buy a spike in approval ratings before midterms.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by MV

disgusting

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:04 PM

All the child tax payments, I'm sure, snuck up and got some folks on their tax returns in 2021. lol
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:23 PM

I just picked up a new 521 loaded to the tilt. Color scheme just did not pop with my tow rig so swung by tomes after I left cabelas and snatched up a new KR.

Got home and realized I had a side entrance garage and it was only 20’ deep. Anyone selling a house with a garage big enough for a 521 a 3/4 Ton with a little lift and my wife’s 2008 Taurus? Preferably in frisco prosper?
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Used2fish
I just picked up a new 521 loaded to the tilt. Color scheme just did not pop with my tow rig so swung by tomes after I left cabelas and snatched up a new KR.

Got home and realized I had a side entrance garage and it was only 20’ deep. Anyone selling a house with a garage big enough for a 521 a 3/4 Ton with a little lift and my wife’s 2008 Taurus? Preferably in frisco prosper?

roflmao
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:35 PM

Stimulus checks.

What’s a stimulus check?

my wife gives me one often
cheers
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Used2fish

clap

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:45 PM

Awesome!!! lol

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by rickys
All the child tax payments, I'm sure, snuck up and got some folks on their tax returns in 2021. lol

Yep, guess how much we owed (extra) this year, about what the tax credits were. Plain stupid what the govt comes up with.
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Yep, guess how much we owed (extra) this year, about what the tax credits were. Plain stupid what the govt comes up with.

Yep. Bit us too. I kinda figured that would happened so put most of it in savings. Sure enough, I had to cut Uncle Sam a pretty good check at tax time as opposed to a return.
Posted By: mikey_ batts

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:04 PM

20 years ago I thought that 100K was some one that was rich. Now I see people making 2-300K+ and if their Signiant other works their total family income could be 4-500K+ plus a year. I know this seems crazy, but there is quite a few jobs out there where people can make that kind of money especially in Texas. Also keep in mind that people making this kind of money usually have multiple streams of income.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:29 PM

I have to agree with Steez.....I dont see any boats out running around that are $100k. Lots that are at the $85k mark. But MSRP and actually price you pay on these boats are not the same.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:33 PM

Good lord I'm the poorest dang person on here.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:38 PM

Same job for 24 years and now part owner...wife is a nurse practitioner. When we got married 31 years ago I was an E2 in the Army and take home was about $750 a month. We have worked our ever loving tails off, paid our debts, paid our tithing, raised our family, bought and fixed up used cars, trucks, and boats, and are finally to a spot where we have little to no debt and I am considering buying a new boat. After looking at new boat prices and considering all that work over all those years, I am realizing that the old boat I have runs like a top, looks pretty good, and is a fish catching machine...I think I will wait for the eminent financial crash and buy something nice for cash
How do people get their money??? Work and work hard, cash on the barrel head, avoid debt, and give(Malachi 3:8-12)!

"Better than I deserve"...
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by mikey_ batts
20 years ago I thought that 100K was some one that was rich. Now I see people making 2-300K+ and if their Signiant other works their total family income could be 4-500K+ plus a year. I know this seems crazy, but there is quite a few jobs out there where people can make that kind of money especially in Texas. Also keep in mind that people making this kind of money usually have multiple streams of income.

Spill the details bruh. I chose the wrong career.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
How do people get their money??? Work and work hard, cash on the barrel head, avoid debt, and give(Malachi 3:8-12)!

"Better than I deserve"...

This!

Couldn't have been said any better!
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 03:17 PM

I think with two professional working a couple can wind up making some decent money here in the Metroplex. The problem with that is that it costs a lot of money to live in the Plex, each person have nice vehicles, home, healthcare, daycare, kids, sports, saving in 401k, etc. I don't know how people do it with the cost of houses now.
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 03:30 PM

I will keep running my 2007 Charger 496 and 2008 Navigator. I can't see spending that much on a boat and a truck. It has gotten crazy expensive. Just keep upgrading electronics and putting money into upkeep for the boat and truck
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 03:31 PM

Updated electronics and Tm on an older boat. I would love to have a new rig, but going just can't bite off that kind of commitment in this environment right now.

18 year old boat with a new Ultrex, 2-12" Lowrance's and a 1022 Garmin. Haven't had a boat payment in over a decade.

It's not the prettiest, but cleans up very well. still runs down the lake and is debt free.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 03:50 PM

We are in a spot where people just make terrible financial decisions. You wouldn't believe the amount of 35-50 year olds I am seeing liquidate their 401Ks just to be able to win a bid 150K over appraised value on a house. You can always ridiculously finance your truck and boat... 15 year notes etc etc. What you can't do is finance your expenses, at least not for very long. We are in big trouble as a nation and all this is about to really catch up to folks.
Posted By: NateRich5797

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 04:17 PM

You're probably seeing all the people who invested in Bitcoin and Dogecoin before it all exploded. Dogecoin is up 62,320% today from exactly five years ago. So, if you put $5K in Dogecoin 5 years years then, well I'll let you do the math.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Stimulus checks.

What’s a stimulus check?

isn't that like "pocket pool?"

or "reach arounds" . smile
Posted By: romeroxl1200

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 05:19 PM

Like the guy who buys a TV now. 50 inch for $300 or the 80 inch for $3,000 ..many like having a payment for everything.....you can finance anything for any length of time...I guarantee they are at the lake with the new truck, boat, house payment, day care, fuel bill, 1 pay check away from losing it all. guarantee, 75% at the lake in the those new trucks, new boats are 1 pay check away from catastrophe every month....might be wrong.
Posted By: redhornet

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 06:40 PM

Lets see.. I joined the army at 18 they paid for my college after I fought in a war. My wife worked her way through college and has two degrees. We pay cash for everything except house, land and trucks. I pay cash for boats, actually I write a check. I usually buy a 1 year old skeeter that was used under 30 hours. We save 30 percent of our income. That how we do it.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 07:32 PM

I have spent wisely..I think I have.....
I have a 2020 Nitro Z20, with a 250 on it. I have 2 Helix 12's at the console and three Helix 9 at the bow. I have a 360 also. I have less than $60,000 tied up in all that.
I have a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado RST 4wd, 4 door and i have less than $45,000 tied up in that.
I type this not to impress anyone but to say, I hope I have spent wisely and found great deals. To help offset all the cost on them, I sold my other truck which was paid for, I sold my 2015 boat which was paid for and finance the rest for 48 months, which will all be paid of next year in 36 months. I could not turn down a great finance offer of 1.9% for it all. That is almost like paying cash and not having to dig into my savings account.
If I had to pay retail price and have the minimum down payments of around 10%, now that I could not justify every month. Some can and they will pay each month without fail and one day pay it off. I was there around 30 years ago myself.
What someone thinks is wrong may not be wrong to another in terms of buying things. It really boils down to what makes you happy at the end of day.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 08:25 PM

In all seriousness I just focus on my money and what I can afford. I am happy for the next guy that is doing well enough to buy a new boat no matter the cost.
Posted By: kcb

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
In all seriousness I just focus on my money and what I can afford. I am happy for the next guy that is doing well enough to buy a new boat no matter the cost.

I try to do the same. I am no Bible scholar but there are versus that mention coveting your neighbors things and I think it even mentions your neighbors spouse. I do what I do and let others do as they do. I have not read the thread because I am in my last days at work and am just about retired. Have been very busy recently with that. My wife and I have prepared for this time for many years. Enjoy your blessings where you can.
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 09:54 PM

On a serious note. I don’t know anyone personally that has a 100 tied into a rig. If they do they can afford it. I don’t personally know anyone in a bad way with the hobby.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 09:56 PM

some earn it, while others take out a loan.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by kcb
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

I try to do the same. I am no Bible scholar but there are versus that mention coveting your neighbors things and I think it even mentions your neighbors spouse. I do what I do and let others do as they do. I have not read the thread because I am in my last days at work and am just about retired. Have been very busy recently with that. My wife and I have prepared for this time for many years. Enjoy your blessings where you can.

Also verses about a borrower being slave to the lender, and wisdom in taking advice, etc.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 10:49 PM

Don’t worry about what others have, be blessed with what you got.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bayou Burner

Best advice I’ve heard all day.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/23/22 11:07 PM

That’s a downer! So screw everyone .. every man for themselves??!!

Just joking. But, yeh.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 12:06 AM

Best advice I’ve heard all day.

roflmao
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 12:19 AM

There is soooo much money in this country you can't imagine. $100,000 bass boats? How about $1M travel trailers. $800,00 + house boats. I live in a pretty dang swanky neighborhood but there's places down here in Austin that I drive by and wonder...what the heck did I forget to do??? LOL. I've got a little money, but I ain't any happier than when I was dead broke, playin in a band, and living in an old farm house with no ac during the summer of 1980. Money buys stuff...it don't buy peace of mind or happiness.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by fivebites
There is soooo much money in this country you can't imagine. $100,000 bass boats? How about $1M travel trailers. $800,00 + house boats. I live in a pretty dang swanky neighborhood but there's places down here in Austin that I drive by and wonder...what the heck did I forget to do??? LOL. I've got a little money, but I ain't any happier than when I was dead broke, playin in a band, and living in an old farm house with no ac during the summer of 1980. Money buys stuff...it don't buy peace of mind or happiness.

thumb read last sentence!!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by HARD WORKN HAROLD

I had a wealthy friend of mine tell me " anyone who says that never had money ".
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 01:25 AM

Are people just going into long term debt for an opportunity to catch more fish?

some are some are not and that is the answer to a stupid question that has exactly one obvious correct answer

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Happykamper

I had a wealthy friend of mine tell me " anyone who says that never had money ".

100% CORRECT.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure makes being miserable a lot more tolerable
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 01:51 AM

I never really gave any thought to how much money I had in my fishing boat, but ya’ll caused me to think about it. Probably about $40K. You know, I’d never agree to spend that much on a fishing boat, but it sort of snuck up on me, and grew like a snowball downhill.

It’s my brother’s fault. He gave me a small boat and motor, which was too small. So we got a bigger one, but it wasn’t quite what we needed, so we got a bigger one. I was happy with that one, but the wife wanted more cup holders (not kidding). So, I got a bigger one with lots of cup holders. That’s it. No more boats for me.

I do understand how a fellow could spend $100K. It sneaks up on ya.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 02:05 AM

It's definitely and expensive hobby that I more or less backed into a little over 3 decades ago, had no Idea that I'd be this addicted to it. Sometimes it feels like a curse. As long as I can afford to do it. I'll be here.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 10:57 AM

Here's a novel idea. Work your butt off for 31 years at the same job. Treat others with respect and do what the boss says even if you feel he is wrong. Tithe regularly to the church of your choice and the doors of opportunity will open. Don;t be small-minded.

If you pray that something goes on sale so you can afford it you're thinking too small. I tithe pray & believe for BIG things. I want to own the company so I can turn around & bless others.

Sorry about the mini-sermon but God's favor opens door no man can shut. He has done it for me all my life even before I knew it was Him. When I was in my 20's & 30's If something good happened to me I just thought I was lucky.
Posted By: popcork

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 12:43 PM

We have moved away from the essential question "Where do people get their money?" the answer is simple, the Federal government; they print it.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Originally Posted by Happykamper

100% CORRECT.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure makes being miserable a lot more tolerable

Sorry boys...I humbly disagree. As Ken so correctly said God has been incredibly good to me. I have awakened every day with a smile of my face and thankful to be alive and healthy for as long as I can remember. Having money is "convenient" and does make things a bit more tolerable Douglas, but it does NOT give you inner peace OR happiness. I grew up in South Oak Cliff. We were poor in terms of money, but rich in terms of a loving family and God fearing parents. Things that money can't buy. I had really no money until I was 45 but have been blessed beyond my wildest imagination since then. But...it has NOT changed WHO I am. It's only changed WHAT I can afford.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
Here's a novel idea. Work your butt off for 31 years at the same job. Treat others with respect and do what the boss says even if you feel he is wrong. Tithe regularly to the church of your choice and the doors of opportunity will open. Don;t be small-minded.

If you pray that something goes on sale so you can afford it you're thinking too small. I tithe pray & believe for BIG things. I want to own the company so I can turn around & bless others.

Sorry about the mini-sermon but God's favor opens door no man can shut. He has done it for me all my life even before I knew it was Him. When I was in my 20's & 30's If something good happened to me I just thought I was lucky.

Amen Brother Ken!
Posted By: Jezreel

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 02:13 PM

Where do people get their money? That is the question. . . One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is “inheritance.” Children of the Boomers who have done reasonably well, will inherit over a million dollars, and then some. My best friend and his wife both retired from Federal Law Enforcement, like myself, each with 30 years service. Between their retirement fund, house (already paid for), vehicles (paid for), belongings (paid for), and any other investments, it is close to 2.5 million dollars. The wife passed, so there is just my friend and his daughter in college. When he dies, she is going to be an Instant Millionaire.

Another friend married a gal who’s family had a mere 200 acres of scrub. Over night, the area around Fairfield became the Oil / Gas Mecca in texas. Just look at the satellite image of all the pock marks from the rigs in that area. Anyway, this gal’s parents became overnight Bazillionaires like the Clampetts.

I know there are a lot of folks like this, so don’t forget about that money.
Posted By: H&H

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 02:22 PM

I like this, Good job Ken A
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 03:05 PM

People justify a $500-600 payment a month and never think more about it. When you add in the interest you are paying well over $100,000 on an $80k boat that you financed over 20yrs. Now i think financing a vehicle for more than 5 years is stupid, but to each their own
Posted By: prosise

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 03:08 PM

It's not the arrow, it's the indian...
Posted By: LakeTylerMan

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 03:56 PM

I went to the Houston auto and boat show this year. I saw two Rangers, a Skeeter and a Vexus. All were over 95 thousand and the top of the line Ranger was over 100K. All were advertised as having favorable financing for at least 120 month loans. Some terms may have been longer and maybe up to 240??. The way to make it palatable is to get a long term loan and purchase. And when it's time then flip to another boat down the road. A person would always have a boat note. That is unless they want to pay with cash (or a five year loan?). I also feel dropping a 100 K on a boat is a lot. But I've dropped over 65 K on a boat and upgraded electronic over the years also.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 04:16 PM

I don’t know about everyone else but I robbed a bank.
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 04:23 PM

I've made my millions U-toobing.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 04:25 PM

They have $150K tied up in truck/boat to win $25 for 43rd place and a bag of free baits as a raffle prize on Saturdays. roflmao
Posted By: junk baits

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 04:52 PM

This thread could say how much your wives or x-wives cost. I know some guys that are addicted to trophy wives or high dollar women. They just sneak up on you too over the years. LOL.. I guess its all relative to a man's cash flow..
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 06:10 PM

This topic comes up once a year or so on here.
It is always the same answers, by the same people.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by prosise
It's not the arrow, it's the indian...

Huh?

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 06:24 PM

All of the people who can afford 100,000.00 boats and trucks are either getting their money from the government, are trust fund babies or did something corrupt or illegal to acquire their riches.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
This topic comes up once a year or so on here.
It is always the same answers, by the same people.

Seems the same people try and throw shade on people who are either more fortunate than themselves or that happened to work their butts off and can afford an "over priced" boat. A boat is just a boat, not sure why this topic is a TFF regular.

I have no shame that I was blessed to be able to afford some of the things I want and could retire early to enjoy them. Through the grace of God and a little hard work anyone can attain the level of happiness and financial freedom they wish.

Like Ken said, have faith, tithe, pray and I will add do things for others in life.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 06:48 PM

I could buy a $100k boat cash but it's not worth it to me compared to my dad's old 1997 Triton 17 footer that catches fish just the same.

I assume plenty of folks earn their money, but even the ones who earn it probably finance it, which is nuts to me. We have a $30k travel trailer we bought with cash. My daily driver and my wife's car are paid off, but we do have payments on my pickup and our house and that's it. Nothing on trailer, boat, fancy zero turn, or either of our daily cars.

As prices go nuts, I do think that will drive demand down for these super expensive toys.
Posted By: Rey Basser

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 08:05 PM

Worry less, fish more! Focus on getting better with the boat and equipment you can afford. I have Tracker Pro Team 190TX and never felt like I missed out on any fish because of it.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Huckleberry
All of the people who can afford 100,000.00 boats and trucks are either getting their money from the government, are trust fund babies or did something corrupt or illegal to acquire their riches.

This has to be a joke.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 08:32 PM

With the interest rates being very low the past few years I decided to purchase both a new boat and truck in 2020. I won't say I need either of them but the want was there and the timing was there so I did it.
3 factors played into my decision here.
1- The price was right, I waited on the seller to agree on my price which both did after a few weeks. I set a limit held to them and saved well over $20,000 on both items combined.
2- Being I was 61 at the time, I knew this would probably be my last truck and boat so I got what I wanted with both of them. I usually keep both until both are worn out and there is no trade in value. Like the truck I had was a 2006. My boat was a 2015 model, but I wanted a boat over 20' with 250 hp on it. I plan on keeping both until I cannot fish or drive anymore.....
3- My interest rate from my credit union was 1.9% when i combine both items and that was low enough to justify me not pulling out any savings because that was making me more money than the 1.9% I was going to pay for the next 5 years. Plus I knew i would have both paid off in 3 possibly 4 years anyways. Plan is still in effect I should have both paid off in the next year.
If I would have waited until now to purchase these two items...no way I would have got the deals on the boat and truck. Interest rates are going up and then that would have affected me getting into my savings, which I did not have to do before.
So if those that are jealous or envious and have that "I hate that guy" attitude when I pull into the boat ramp with both my truck and boat they do not know that I did a lot of research, bid my time and sought out the deals I wanted to make to get what I have. Plus I do not have the very top of the line stuff, I got what I wanted not what people would ooh and ahh at. I did not purchase them to impress them but to make me happy.
Plus I do not think i have a jealous bone in me. I sometimes get more excited when my friends get new things than they do. I love seeing people get things they want in life. I have no better than thou attitude toward anyone either, I now I had to work for everything I have, nothing was giving to me. I have never looked at that guy with the 15' tin rig with a 25 hp on the back as a person beneath me, heck he is probably a better angler than me and he needs to teach me a lot of things. Fish care not what you are in, just how you deliver the lure for their appetite is what matters.
Some people just dislike others getting newer things in life, those people must really live a terrible life.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 08:34 PM

This has to be a joke.

Or maybe they have two college degrees and make 6 figures doing something they have fun doing? I dunno.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 08:42 PM

Work
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 09:49 PM

Iza got a sugamamma
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 10:31 PM

If you have great credit and get the best interest rate it’s not a bad way to go. You get the money at today’s value and pay it back at the value in the future. It’s pretty cheap money when the interest rate is lower than inflation.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 10:51 PM

I got lucky and worked 3000 hours a year for 37 years like a real man does.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 11:00 PM

I’ll be hitting the lake in the morning, in my $40K boat. Ya’ll keep the discussion going and I’ll catch up later.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/24/22 11:10 PM

This has to be a joke.

Or maybe they have two college degrees and make 6 figures doing something they have fun doing? I dunno.

Guilty

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 12:02 AM

Taught that early and it works! I have learned that I can’t out give God. He just keeps out giving me! Tithe the 1st 10th of gross, give more and you’ll be shocked. You’ll never need a Dave Ramsey “plan”(though he starts his plans with that prescription)!

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 10:33 AM

This has to be a joke.

Guilty

It was a joke! And you don't need 2 college degrees to make 6 figures. You don't even need 1.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 11:14 AM

This has to be a joke.

Guilty

It was a joke! And you don't need 2 college degrees to make 6 figures. You don't even need 1.

Correct but as I got older I decided to work smarter and not harder.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 11:56 AM

I quite high school as a junior and got my GED. Worked for my dad in his small construction company, decided to move to DFW and found out it wasn’t the life for me. I did learn a lot about commercial construction and moved back to West Texas and rebuilt the family business and with hard work, common sense and the grace of god we made it bigger and more successful. No trust fund etc. I was given a start, payed it back after the first job and the rest is history. All my stuff is payed for, I do keep a note on my boat for credit purposes only, learned that lesson a few years back.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 12:40 PM

I do feel like my carrier in manufacturing was devalued by 50% on the low end by my government’s ability to outsource my job to CHINA or I would have a 100k dollar boat.

banana
Posted By: tricky

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 12:43 PM

A new Skeeter Apex with standard Apex package is $103,000. Four month waiting list.
Posted By: TheHaydonSmith

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 01:26 PM

Go get a good paying job, build up credit, be smart with your money and how you finance, and boom you can them afford a $100k rig

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 02:25 PM

I stand corrected.

A buddy of mine showed up at our local get together last night. All I can say is wow!!
He has a brand new BassCat Jaguar with a Mercury 400 on it. Every conceivable option.

….and a new truck too!

AND HE IS RETIRED!
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 05:01 PM

my dick won't fit in a 100K boat....my eurologist told me to stick to bass trackers from the 80's
Posted By: plk1122

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 05:28 PM

I often wonder this as well. I think there are a few things. I think there are more decently higher paying jobs now. In my area, entry level type jobs pay more and some places if you stay there long enough you can move up and start making some solid money. The market has been very good the past few years. (SPY i think is up 200% since 2011).

It's interesting how my view has changed. 3-4 years ago I spent just into the 5 figures on my used boat. This was alot of money to me. Now it doesn't seem quite as much, My dividends for this year make more than the boat was worth.
Posted By: ricochetrabbit

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 05:36 PM

Back fresh out of high school I had a chance to go work at a local computer shop in Austin but was given an opportunity to go work for a Fortune 500 company. It was Ross Perot's company right around the time of the sale. This was the tail end of an era when folks worked for one company for life, in fact the company still had a pension program at the time. I opted to go corporate thinking I would go to school part time and climb the proverbial ladder, it being the safer less risky choice. I gave them seven years of my life and finally ended up leaving only earning $29K a year. Although I was advancing as far as responsibilities and job titles go, I was hamstrung by a cap on annual increases no matter where I sat in the pay band. Anything over 10% had to go to the SVP for approval which meant going through the gauntlet of middle management approvals and recommendations so I never really caught up salary wise. Meanwhile that little computer shop later went on to become Dell. Needless to say I would've retired in my early 30's as a Dellionaire.

It's funny and interesting to reflect back on the decisions and circumstances that landed us on whatever trajectory we're on. I'm blessed and appreciative to be born an American at the end of it. I got a real sense of this after having worked overseas for a number of years.

I know one thing for certain, in all my years I've never had the urge or desire to eat a Tide pod. That has to make me better than *those* people, right? :-)
Posted By: ricochetrabbit

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 05:49 PM

BTW, if anyone wants to go halves on Sweet Tuna we could fish Big Rock in June. hammer

[Linked Image]

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ricochetrabbit
BTW, if anyone wants to go halves on Sweet Tuna we could fish Big Rock in June. hammer

[Linked Image]

With a 4,015 gallon tank x $7.00 a gallon marina gas = $28,000 to filler up!

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 05:56 PM

[Linked Image]

a decently big, but pretty basic deep sea fishing rig is like a million dollars! I had no idea, started looking into the freemans when Scott Martin got his for curiosity sake....and holy [censored]! watching those "boats vs haulover inlet" videos and seeing how deep sea rig after deep sea rig heads out blew my mind about how much money is in that miami area!
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 07:32 PM

Work hard.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Caymas Cx 21
I quite high school as a junior and got my GED. Worked for my dad in his small construction company, decided to move to DFW and found out it wasn’t the life for me. I did learn a lot about commercial construction and moved back to West Texas and rebuilt the family business and with hard work, common sense and the grace of god we made it bigger and more successful. No trust fund etc. I was given a start, payed it back after the first job and the rest is history. All my stuff is payed for, I do keep a note on my boat for credit purposes only, learned that lesson a few years back.

And even after all of that your wife still has a Sancho......... you are such a trooper bro!

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 08:07 PM

133 posts and going on 10,000 views? All about talking about other peoples chit? Sad. Well, I guess I added another post to the count. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by bockscar

[Linked Image]

a decently big, but pretty basic deep sea fishing rig is like a million dollars! I had no idea, started looking into the freemans when Scott Martin got his for curiosity sake....and holy [censored]! watching those "boats vs haulover inlet" videos and seeing how deep sea rig after deep sea rig heads out blew my mind about how much money is in that miami area!

Don’t forget all the eye candy you have to pay as evidenced in the haul over videos…lol. Reminds me of the Jack Reacher scene when she says she’s not a hooker, the. Jack says “oh then I really can’t afford you”.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 09:17 PM

What's the price of a nice used boat these days; I'm in the market? $10k-$15k? What does that buy me?

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/25/22 09:59 PM

What's the price of a nice used boat these days; I'm in the market? $10k-$15k? What does that buy me?

older tin rig. You might be able to go older and get a 115hp motor for that price. I see not new trackers reselling for over $20k. Even saw an 04 like mine for $20k, list price though of course!
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/26/22 02:59 PM

I get my money from my job.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/26/22 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Der Vorsteher
I get my money from my job.

unless you are married, then your wife lets you have some money
Posted By: Bowtech32

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/29/22 12:09 AM

We have our house paid for and very few bills and that makes it easy for me. But I thought I was an exception since most people I know live pay check to pay
Posted By: BigVes

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/29/22 02:17 AM

2 things: Working harder than most and making good decisions in both life and business

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/29/22 03:06 AM

So y'all don't have a money tree?
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/29/22 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Les Ems
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

What’s a stimulus check?

Something I never got.

And when they find out that this was fraud, they will get a free trip to the Big House.

No they won't it was so widespread they won't be able to prosecute everyone. I know some farmers in our area that did PPP that shouldn't have and went out an put down payments on new pickup trucks.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/29/22 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
So y'all don't have a money tree?

I had a money tree, then Biden went and took a squirt on it, and now it's dead.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/29/22 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
No they won't it was so widespread they won't be able to prosecute everyone. I know some farmers in our area that did PPP that shouldn't have and went out an put down payments on new pickup trucks.

Perfectly legal and let me tell you why. The law was written in a way to give people great leeway. You could take the money even if you didn’t need it and had no slow down or disruption in your business- so long as you had “uncertainty” moving forward due to Covid. Well that encompasses everyone. You take 100k in ppp you can buy a new truck. All you do is spend the 100k cushion you currently have and the 100k ppp just replenished that money you use for payroll, etc.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/29/22 02:44 PM

When you get a ppp loan they give you a 1 page document that basically outlines if you can or should take it. Talk your accountant and attorney and they’ll both make sure it’s legit.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/29/22 03:07 PM

Based on the radio commercials, I'd say they don't pay the $40,000 in taxes they owe, then go to Nick Nemeth or Optima Tax Relief and get it forgiven, and use the non-tax paid funds to buy some fancy electronics!
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/29/22 03:26 PM

Perfectly legal and let me tell you why. The law was written in a way to give people great leeway. You could take the money even if you didn’t need it and had no slow down or disruption in your business- so long as you had “uncertainty” moving forward due to Covid. Well that encompasses everyone. You take 100k in ppp you can buy a new truck. All you do is spend the 100k cushion you currently have and the 100k ppp just replenished that money you use for payroll, etc.

Actually the ones I referring to it wasn't, won't go into detail but the PPP info is public data and from the amount some received there was lying on the applications for sure.

Re: Where do people get their money? - 03/29/22 03:36 PM

Actually the ones I referring to it wasn't, won't go into detail but the PPP info is public data and from the amount some received there was lying on the applications for sure.

My bank had a worksheet you filled out and it basically spit out a number of how much you got, then a sheet that set the parameters. It was definitely worded in such a way to leave the benefit of the doubt so to speak. Yeah you had fake businesses with doctored payroll out buying lambos, but to get the loan forgiven you had to turn in quite a bit of info.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum