Texas Fishing Forum

How many rod and reel combos do you own?

Posted By: Fishspanker

How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 01:20 PM

How many do you own that you could pick up right now and take fishing?

I have 24. There are 22 Bait caster combos. 2 Spinning. 8 are Saltwater the rest are freshwater Bass. Most are $300 to $350 for the combo. So about $7500 to $8500 total in replacement cost. Some I got on something like Academy Rod Riot or Reel close outs.

I think that’s about a average number for anyone who really fishes. People who don’t fish that see the collection in my office always say....”how many rods can you fish at once”.....lol.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 01:25 PM

More than I need or can fit easily in the rod box. hammer
Posted By: VT 18 RIDER

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fishspanker

I have 24. There are 22 Bait caster combos. 2 Spinning. 8 are Saltwater the rest are freshwater Bass. Most are $300 to $350 for the combo. So about $7500 to $8500 total in replacement cost. Some I got on something like Academy Rod Riot or Reel close outs.

I think that’s about a average number for anyone who really fishes. People who don’t fish that see the collection in my office always say....”how many rods can you fish at once”.....lol.

Question, how long did take to acquire that collection?

I might have an answer in a few days, going to take inventory of my stuff and write down condition. Going to fix up some old rods but using current in use reels on old rods. After I replace a few guide eyes
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 02:09 PM

Way too many..
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 02:13 PM

I plead the 5th, the information might fall into the wrong hands, like my wife.

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by VT 18 RIDER
Originally Posted by Fishspanker

Question, how long did take to acquire that collection?

I might have an answer in a few days, going to take inventory of my stuff and write down condition. Going to fix up some old rods but using current in use reels on old rods. After I replace a few guide eyes

Probably about 20 years. That’s rod age. Reels are probably max 15. Oldest I have on a rod are Curado E Series which they made starting in 2008. I have some older but they are retired.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 02:34 PM

30-35 combos. Probably another 35-40 rods.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 02:35 PM

I’d guess about 30, the same 15 tend to get used, so I should just throw the others away.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 02:37 PM

I keep 16-20 in the boat, depending on the time of year. I have a closet full of sentimental junk. Probably have 40 total. I don’t count them. Sadly, I use 2 regularly, and about 3-4 on an average day.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 02:38 PM

I really don’t know, a rod box completely full and then about 4 or 5 in the house.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 03:20 PM

11 bait casters and 1 spinning.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 03:28 PM

Now that my boat is gone "way to many". And my wife has also quit fishing so there is about 10 quality spinning outfits to many.

I can see a garage sale coming up soon on boating, spinning and left handed shimano combos coming up soon.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenix_Ed
I plead the 5th, the information might fall into the wrong hands, like my wife.

I'm right there with you... Dan
Posted By: BCOU

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 05:42 PM

A buddy told me about 20 years ago that I needed to upgrade my Walmart rods. I asked him how much did the ones he had cost him.....his reply "$39.95"......at least that's the way his wife understands it. Funny thing is, he upgrades every other year and I believe he told me recently that they were still $39.95.....
Posted By: Alan

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 06:12 PM

I am 70 and a hoarder. You might see me on TV soon. I went to the shop and quit counting at 40. I don't want to know the total. I still have my first Lews pistol grip. I think I have a problem.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 06:46 PM

I haven't counted but I have about 17ish. Every one is a combo and ready to fish.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 08:06 PM

I've been in the fishing industry for over 20 years. It's a little ridiculous how many I own.

Here's where most of the ones that get regular use are stored. This photo is from before I installed the last rod holder. There are rigs for bass, crappie, bait rods for catfish, striper or saltwater and strictly saltwater rigs. Now that this ceiling storage system is finished, it will hold 70 rigs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JackMason

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/12/22 08:52 PM

I was up to somewhere around 35 at one time. I fish both fresh and salt so that was my justification.
I since scaled back to about half of that.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Alan
I am 70 and a hoarder. You might see me on TV soon. I went to the shop and quit counting at 40. I don't want to know the total. I still have my first Lews pistol grip. I think I have a problem.

No you don't.

I have 148 rod and reel combos and that doesn't include my rods and reels that I have as spares. I have 3 different rods that I have 6 of each of them because I really like them and want to have spares just in case they quit making them or if they get hard to find.

I still have my Shimano pistol grip rod with a matching Shimano bantam reel. It was my first good quality rod and reel when I was in college way back in 1977. Bought it from Gibsons if you still remember that store. $120 for the combo back then.

I don't hunt or play golf so I save money there for fishing tackle.

Two of those total are for crappie, the rest are for bass.

I have one of the early model Lews BB1 NG reels that is brand new in a box, never used. I keep it on display because it was made by Browning.

Im glad the O/P did not ask about soft plastics and crank baits. LOL
Posted By: bockscar

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 02:51 AM

8 man rods. 2 fairy wands. chuck every single one each trip out(2 are swimbait rods, 1 hard bait, 1 soft bait)....except the fairy wands....unless im getting skunked! damn fairy wands catch!!! just like that sissy senko!!! roflmao
Posted By: meP2too

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 03:57 AM

21 - 19 stay in the boat, 3 spinnerbait / chatterbait, 3 buzzbait / spook / twitch baits, 3 top water / crank bait, 3 frog / swim bait, 2 wacky worms, 2 worm, 2 jig, 1 Carolina rig. Reels are curado b 100’s, MG50’s being replaced with new curado’s.
2 ultra light spinning rods for trout,
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 04:00 AM

15 or so,

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 04:10 AM

Man I like hearing these numbers, I don't feel so bad. 30 year collection most from the 90s, used that gear for years. 10 years ago i bought a new boat and thought i needed new rods for the boat.
Just looked stopped counting at 25, plus atleast 5 or 6 more combos at my girlfriends house.
You never know when the wife will run you out of the house

No wife but I do have extra rods at the GFs house. BTW, who left their 8 inch lizard on my pole?

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I've been in the fishing industry for over 20 years. It's a little ridiculous how many I own.

Here's where most of the ones that get regular use are stored. This photo is from before I installed the last rod holder. There are rigs for bass, crappie, bait rods for catfish, striper or saltwater and strictly saltwater rigs. Now that this ceiling storage system is finished, it will hold 70 rigs.

[Linked Image]

I
Sweet set up, looks clean.
Posted By: aneil

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 03:40 PM

Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 04:05 PM

I always feel like I have one less than I need. So I buy another one. Guess what, that feeling returns. I have about 30 but only keep 20 or so in the boat at any one time.
Posted By: dr14

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 06:04 PM

About 20 combos but some are old.

ezbassin; mind sharing which 3 rods you have 6 of each ?

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 08:57 PM

Dobyns Champion 702

FXtreme WSB 69 MXF (1/4-5/8) lure rating

Major Craft Don Iovino casting 6-10 Med/XFast casting

I use the Major Craft for finesse drop shot, the Dobyns 702 for trick worm on a drop shot, and the FXtreme for shaky head fishing.

Some other rods I have 2 or 3 of each if I like the performance of them also.

Dobyns Champion 784, 745, Sierra 734, 684 and 683.
I also have several FXtreme rods that I have two of because I like the way they perform for 6XD and larger crank baits and for large swim baits, and a couple for chatter/bait-spinner bait- and swim jigs.

I have several Shimano Adrena rods but they are all different in lure rating, but I like all of them.

BTW, I am a total tackle nut for sure.

Posted By: Vogey

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 09:45 PM

21...keep 7 or 8 in the boat...
Posted By: steve_twice

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 10:37 PM

Man I feel inadequate. I used to have a lot more but sold a bunch to buy fewer of better quality. I have medium, medium heavy and heavy casting combos, medium light and medium spinning, a couple of crappie set ups and a couple of catfish combos. Single digits! But for me that covers everything I want to do and I'd rather re-tie to change baits than have a dozen rods on the deck.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/13/22 10:41 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pinetree

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/14/22 06:27 AM

At least 16 half shimano chronarchs the other half curados. To be honest I have been thinking about selling half of em & downsizing to about 6 setups. Need to do the same with tackle.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/14/22 01:33 PM

Did my wife tell you to ask this? roflmao 37 combos and 23 blank rods.
Posted By: Tyler Kalishek

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/14/22 05:00 PM

I think I’m right at 30 now. 20 casting and 10 spinning. If I go a couple years without using some of my rods/reels I give them to my nephews or my friends kids that are getting into fishing in
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/14/22 08:00 PM

I usually take about 5 to the lake, sometimes 4 is enough.

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/14/22 09:55 PM

My kids and grand kids won't have to buy anything, I have plenty for all of them. LOL
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/15/22 04:08 PM

I got back into bass fishing a few years ago. I struggle with wanting to collect rods and reels when I find them at a good price or hear one is better for a certain technique. I have about 8 baitcasting combos and 2 spinning.

The truth is, I mainly use 2 combos per outing, maybe 3. I live a block off a lake and fish frequently, usually for just a few hours at a time. My boat doesn't have good rod storage.

I am trying to be more of a minimalist these days but couldn't pass up the like new Lew's KVD baitcast reel I picked up for $70 at the Bass Pro Outlet in Springfield yesterday on vacation.

It's a struggle.

Posted By: 344BOAT

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/15/22 04:47 PM

I have 6 for catfish 4 for whites and hybrids 7 for crappie 5 for saltwater 23 everyday bass 11seasonal combos and 4 spincasts foe kids and novices and probaly a dozen antiques and a better lure selection than Academy. My addiction is legendary
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/15/22 10:22 PM

Well let’s just say the wife ain’t allowed in the shop .

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/15/22 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46

Mine is fine with it because she is into camera gear. LOL $$
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/15/22 10:34 PM

I have 2 crappie rods, 2 bass rods, one dock shooter, and 2 bream rods each for me and the wife for about 14 on the boat.
Another 20 miscellaneous bass and crappie rods in the storage facility, for about 34 and about 20 extra reels. thumb

That's not so bad,..I've got more bowling balls than that at home...
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/15/22 10:49 PM

I sold off a bunch this past year or so that I didnt use. I'm down to 16 or bait casting and 4 spinning rods. All are G.Loomis except 2 bait casters and 2 spinning. Eventually they'll get swapped out too.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/15/22 11:14 PM

I have five combos. Just ask my wife and she will tell you. Between us, at least 25 at two different houses.

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/17/22 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by basscaster46

Mine is fine with it because she is into camera gear. LOL $$

I know all about that. Mention the camera gear you hear about a drastically inflated price of all the fishing tackle.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/17/22 01:20 AM

10 good ones. If one breaks I replace if it happens usually one rod about every 3 years. Why do you need more? I’ve leaned keeping it simple is sometimes better.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/17/22 03:07 AM

I'm probably up to 20 in the boat... Dan
Posted By: Tanner101

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/18/22 09:16 AM

9-10.
Posted By: Slacklinedime

Re: How many rod and reel combos do you own? - 03/18/22 07:09 PM

Bait casters i think 10-12 ranging from 6.6 med lite to 8ft heavy with mono, fluoro and braid. 8-10 spinning ranging from ultra lite to med heavy 4ft to 7.6 running most of my spinning stuff on fluoro or braid.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum