Texas Fishing Forum

The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net.

Posted By: goodman_fishing

The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 03:45 AM

This happened yesterday afternoon and I am still playing it back in my head.

My split-second bad decision has me pretty flustered, how long does it take to get over a lost giant? crying

Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 02:12 PM

I feel your pain. I have that exact same net. I had one on in Mexico that wouldn't fit in the net. On the third try in a 30 MPH. wind she got off. Just dragging her on the surface beside the boat, drifting with the wind; we should have lipped her on the second try.
Posted By: hobgood12

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 03:25 PM

Man that sucks! From my personal experience fishing big swimbaits and the big gear that goes along with that...... I will lose half of my hook ups when setting the hook to the left like you did. Its not always possible but I try to always be in a position that I can set the hook to right and fight the fish in that direction. I feel like I don't get a good hook penetration (larger diameter hooks) to the left and fighting those bigger fish in that direction just feels awkward for me. Best of luck and keep chunking that big ol piece of plastic!!
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 03:30 PM

We've all been there. It's one of the reasons we keep fishing. You lose a big one, but you gain confidence in the bait you are throwing and your ability to hook them.
Posted By: Yankee_Bass

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 03:32 PM

As a seasoned Muskie angler, here is my take: When you are dealing with large hooks, anything over 5/0, including treble hooks, you need a very stout rod to get penetration. The traditional bass thinking of a parabolic bend to keep treble hooks pinned is not applicable for giant hooks. Muskie rods are pool cues for a reason, and that's to bury big hooks in a bony jaw, and keep them pinned in a strong and violent fish. I wager that big Bass are the same. A long rod (7'6"-8') and an Extra Heavy Power and Fast or Extra Fast action, at a minimum. The hook set should be thunderous, and winch those fish in, don't give them an inch.
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 03:51 PM

Been there...mine was first cast of the morning. Put my stuff up, went back to the deck and it was cold beer and bbq the rest of the day!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 04:30 PM

Know the feeling well about loosing a big fish. Keep fishing and GOOD things will happen! thumb
Posted By: hopalong

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 04:53 PM

learn to double hookset, don't have to try to rip the lips off but a second set helps a lot.

never jab the net at the fish, it should already be in the water and just lead the fish to it, teach you partner there how to do it.
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 05:27 PM

Should have had your son net that fish. A little boy netted a 17 a few weeks ago
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 05:44 PM

Well I can tell you one thing. When the fish that comes unbuckled right next to the boat is a $100K fish, it hurts a lot worse.
Posted By: R83steve

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 07:10 PM

I can still give a second-by-second account of a few of the larger fish that I have lost over 50 years of bass fishing
Maybe that answers the question you asked about “how long”?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 07:13 PM

When I hooked my biggest ever, and got her up enough to see how big she was........I said a little prayer.
Know what?
Jesus is good.
Posted By: ob wan

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 09:45 PM

In 2003 while fishing at Lake Fork, I missed my personal best at the boat. I hooked her on a red bandit crankbait and she took drag from the start. I knew I had a big fish but was not sure what I had as she never would come up. I thought maybe a catfish? I continued to fight her and after several runs she finally surfaced out 20 yards from the boat and I knew she was a huge bass and a personal best. I made sure I had my net ready and let her play herself out.

As I played her out, she made one last run before I brought her in close to the boat and then she suddenly jumped right in front of me and shook that bandit it in my face, winked at me, and prepared herself to take a big dive........but in a split second......I was somehow able to make one quick swoop with the net and just hope I did not miss.......Luckily I did not. I did not have a scale on me but there was a guide and his two clients watching close by and he came over and put her on the scales. She weighed 11 pounds and 11 ounces......so yes I too missed my personal best at the boat............and then caught her again with the net.

From one extreme emotion to the other in less than a nanosecond.

Fishing smile
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/11/22 10:28 PM

No that feeling only too well, I broke one off at Fork deep cranking that I actually got to see, halfway to the boat and it ran up in a tree. It would have been my PB by a long shot. That was over 20 years ago, and I don't think there is a day that goes by I don't think about that fish.
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/12/22 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Yankee_Bass
As a seasoned Muskie angler, here is my take: When you are dealing with large hooks, anything over 5/0, including treble hooks, you need a very stout rod to get penetration. The traditional bass thinking of a parabolic bend to keep treble hooks pinned is not applicable for giant hooks. Muskie rods are pool cues for a reason, and that's to bury big hooks in a bony jaw, and keep them pinned in a strong and violent fish. I wager that big Bass are the same. A long rod (7'6"-8') and an Extra Heavy Power and Fast or Extra Fast action, at a minimum. The hook set should be thunderous, and winch those fish in, don't give them an inch.

This right here is what I strive to achieve on a big fish.
Posted By: BrianID

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/12/22 10:12 AM

Tough to loose a big fish like that but it happens to anyone who fishes often. It makes it more difficult when you know it would have been your personal best. I lost my personal best a number of years ago right at the boat while trying to lip her. I didn't have a net readily accessible. About a year later I hooked into what would become my personal best and I had a net easily accessible and was able to get some nice pictures and a weight on her.
Hopefully you hook into another giant bass that is just is big or bigger and are able to land her. That is the only way I know to make the pain of loosing a personal best not sting as much. Good luck in the future.
Posted By: PoppaChuck

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/12/22 05:00 PM

30 years ago....... I had a bait custom made.... the second throw with it....I threw it where I shouldn't have, like always. Bait just stopped on the second turn of reel handle.....hung ... dang....I bow popped it 3 times...I'm looking at where it is.... no way to get there....wait, what... it is moving slowly to the left....I reel up, set the hook. it just keeps moving to the left about ten feet by now, around a shallow 8" diameter stump about 14" tall. Yes, that shallow. Just has to be a giant catfish. I can no way get to the stump I'm in 12' of water, can't get out. I set back hard on the rod....the dadgum stump actually broke free from the bottom..... wow. I'm pumping and winding this stump in with all my might, I just want my custom-made bait back.
I'm pretty sure whatever fish was there, is gone. I get it 8' from the boat and manage to get the stump to the surface and pinned to it paralyzed, is the bass of a lifetime. My son saw it when I did and grabbed the net, that the fish in no way would fit in. One more good pump and we had a chance at her. when she surfaced again with the stump she made her move and pulled off......she just pulled off..... We both just stood there stunned and shaking...silent.
How big was she?
Her mouth was big enough to fit my foot in, size 11.
I caught a 6 something a bit later. My son and I both simultaneously said that the lost fish could have eaten the 6 pounder,
I did not sleep for a week, not one wink.
I made myself physically ill over this fish, for months.
This fish was one of the reasons I quit tournament fishing as well as stopped fishing for over 28 years.
I have caught bass over 10 lbs. My son has as well, this was a record-breaking fish.
I have just recently started seriously fishing again.
I never even let myself dream of hooking a fish like that again, and it's okay.
But you are not going to just forget.

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/12/22 06:45 PM

I appreciate the comments from everyone, it's good to know I'm not alone!

A few days have passed and it bothers me just as much, but it helps to know there's a giant in that neighborhood lake. I had been convinced that nothing big was living in there, last year I pull 600+ bass out of it with only one fish at 5lbs.
Posted By: Alan

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/12/22 07:41 PM

I've fished a long time and the one that got away never goes away. One monster that didn't get away was at Toledo Bend. I threw a red rattletrap at a stump and hooked up as soon as it hit the water. I chased it with the trolling motor, got it out of 2 stumps. When I finally wore it down I netted a 22 lb flathead catfish. I'm glad I seen it because if it had got off I would have aways thought I lost a state record.
Posted By: LStewartPlano

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/14/22 07:14 PM

Good reasons given in this thread for why they get off. Sometimes you do everything right and it still doesn't come together. I lost one 15 years ago that I still can recount every second from the bait hitting the water, to her getting unpinned a the boat. I sat down for about 15 minutes, hands trembling and me lamenting the "fish of a lifetime", finally packed up and went home. So I guess you may never get over the one that got away!
Posted By: manhunter

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/14/22 07:28 PM

You get over it, but you NEVER forget it.....
Posted By: joebass2

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/15/22 08:44 PM

Been there. Three years ago, my daughter and I were fishing the Texas Bass Couples Classic on Texoma. After the first day, we had culled twice and were in fourth out of about 100 teams with about 13 pounds. The next morning, one of those Texoma cold fronts blew in with about 20 mph winds right after takeoff. My daughter was able to get a 4# in the boat early, and the bite shut off. We managed to scrape together 3 small keepers for about a 9 # string.
With about an hour left, we pulled up to a point, spray coming over the front of the boat from the waves. I chunked a crank over the point and just as it was coming over the point, it got heavy. She came up and sloshed...one of those that can't get her whole body out of the water. Fought her to the boat. Could see her next to the boat. 6-7 pounds was my guess. My daughter goes to net her and she make one more run, under the boat and broke off.

No more bites. Got to the weighin and placed 8th.................... about 6 pounds out of first.. Still bothers me.

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/16/22 11:38 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Well. I didn't let this one get away, 12.93 yesterday.
See my long story above, and yes the one that got away was much larger.

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/18/22 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by PoppaChuck

Well. I didn't let this one get away, 12.93 yesterday.
See my long story above, and yes the one that got away was much larger.

Nice!!!

Well I told my self, "i'd pay $1,000 to get another shot at that fish!"...ended up costing $1,200. We'll see if we can accelerate another attempt to come sooner than later...

[Linked Image]

Re: The one that got away. Lost my PB yesterday at the net. - 03/18/22 01:34 PM

Forward-facing sonar is for sure a "real deal."
I haven't taken the plunge yet.
I am kind of afraid I will be frustrated by actually being able to see them without being able to make them bite.
Kind of like spending 3 hours trying to catch a fish off a bed, only to come away empty-handed.
Good fortune in your pursuit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum