Texas Fishing Forum

ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney

Posted By: Bofish

ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney - 03/06/22 12:26 AM

Looking for someone near Mckinney who could replace eyes and reel seat on a Shimano rod. Want to convert spinning rod into baitcasting rod.
Posted By: NTX Angler

Re: ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney - 03/06/22 12:37 AM

It's going to cost you more than the rod is worth. Good new casting rod these days not that expensive.

Re: ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney - 03/06/22 03:16 PM

I understand I just really like the rod but hate using a spinning reel.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney - 03/06/22 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bofish
I understand I just really like the rod but hate using a spinning reel.

You can buy parts from Mud-Hole or another source and do it yourself. You don't really need the spinner and tools, though when I replace an eye I can see where it would be helpful. Replacing one or two eyes got me thinking I would like to try my hand at a custom build, but I haven't pulled the trigger to start a new hobby!

Re: ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney - 03/06/22 05:41 PM

My biggest issue is getting the old eyes and the spinning reel seat off. Any ideas there?
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney - 03/06/22 09:25 PM

Like the other guys said buy the rod building supplies from mudhole an make you a new one. Changing a reel seat from spinning to casting, can you even do that? sounds like a PITA
Posted By: emorydog

Re: ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney - 03/06/22 09:48 PM

Sounds like you just need to put a baitcaster on it and roll with it. I’d hate to mess with the good action it already has.

Re: ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney - 03/06/22 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bofish
My biggest issue is getting the old eyes and the spinning reel seat off. Any ideas there?

For the eyes, a razor blade or really sharp knife will cut through the epoxy and thread. Do it one at a time then rub it with high grit if you want to smooth it out. Once you have a clean slate you can tape or super glue the replacement eyes before you start wrapping. Once secure, finish with the epoxy, one eye at a time. I wouldn't mess with the tip, though a heat gun *MAY* get that off for you.

Real seat - you have to start from the bottom and work your way up. Butt cap, grips, and real seat will need to slide off the bottom. Then you can replace it in the opposite order. I've only had to fix a bottom grip, but they are on tight, and I would assume it is a PITA to do!

Re: ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney - 03/07/22 01:23 AM

Thanks David

Re: ISO Rod Repair near Mckinney - 03/07/22 04:07 AM

Here's one more thought... Since a Spinning setup is 'upside down', could you double wrap the guide-train and have a dual-purpose rod? confused
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum