Texas Fishing Forum

9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target?

Posted By: bockscar

9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 07:53 PM

I know bigger is always better...but its a jump in price for sure. Anyone that have a 9 inch regret it? Or maybe not totally regretted it but maybe wishing they had gone with the 12 after using the 9 for a while?

If garmin rolls out a new gen it might be easier to talk myself into it since i figure itll be top tier for at least a few years. Wondering if I gotta save up and be a little more patient to get a 12 inch.
Posted By: SAdoc

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 08:47 PM

I’ve got a 93sv+. If I stretch the forward range the fish can look awful small . If I were doing it again I would have gone bigger.
Posted By: The Netstretcher

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 08:47 PM

I have one 12" up front. If I had a 9" for active target I'd want another 9" for gps/sonar.

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SAdoc
I’ve got a 93sv+. If I stretch the forward range the fish can look awful small . If I were doing it again I would have gone bigger.

Good to know! Appreciate it! Should have time to save up for the 12 since i figure Garmin would wait until iCast....unless something happens at the classic. Gotta figure thats when theyll roll something new out.

Originally Posted by The Netstretcher
I have one 12" up front. If I had a 9" for active target I'd want another 9" for gps/sonar.

Sounds like the 12 is gonna be a must! Thanks for the insight
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 09:32 PM

If you are only going to run 1 unit up front you defin should save your money up for a 12" so you can run split windows.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 09:36 PM

No comparison from a 9" to a 12" specially for livescope. Had 9" graphs in the past and switched to 12"s on my last rig and wondered how I did without. New to me rig has 3 12's and a 10". Soon as I find the 12 i want to replace the 10 its going bye bye.
Posted By: Hulapoppin

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 10:49 PM

I’ve got a 9 inch for livescope, it’s ok but I don’t stare at it all day, the bank beater in me is stubborn.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 10:50 PM

If it’s going to be dedicated for scoping. Then go with the 1022 gpsmap. Saves you money and get a better processor.

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fish Killer
If it’s going to be dedicated for scoping. Then go with the 1022 gpsmap. Saves you money and get a better processor.

The 1222 is only a few $$$ more
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Everything is just a little more $$$. I got the 10” 1022 and have no issues with it at all. I’m sure 6’8” and have no problem seeing it on a double mount up front.

Where your going to spend a lot of money that may not be thought about is the pole mount….. I wanted mine independent of the TM, but still mounted to a pole so i can adjust it as i see fit.

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/21/22 11:32 PM

Everything is just a little more $$$. I got the 10” 1022 and have no issues with it at all. I’m sure 6’8” and have no problem seeing it on a double mount up front.

Where your going to spend a lot of money that may not be thought about is the pole mount….. I wanted mine independent of the TM, but still mounted to a pole so i can adjust it as i see fit.

The 12" screens have a higher resolution then the 9's & 10's. Detail is much clearer and well worth the $400 more than the 1022.
Posted By: n_fish

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/22/22 01:33 AM

I have a 1222, the resolution is excellent with the right settings and the manual settings are no problem. Not a touchscreen.

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/22/22 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jersey Dan
If you are only going to run 1 unit up front you defin should save your money up for a 12" so you can run split windows.

I figured 12 was gonna be the deal! do you stare at your mapping a lot while scoping? or just to kinda stay around the waypoint?

Originally Posted by Hulapoppin
I’ve got a 9 inch for livescope, it’s ok but I don’t stare at it all day, the bank beater in me is stubborn.

So how often are you scoping? How has it changed your fishing? Thats what I worry about with me and why its hard to talk myself into it...im a bank beater 100% through and through! Even my PB was "deep" in like 15-20 feet....but i was basically off a steep rock area and whatd id still call the bank. I dont wanna spend $3k+ and not use it much....i dont get to fish much so scoping for 4+ hours, half or more of my day just doesnt sound like something ill do much of. I wonder if having that scope would make me want to use it more...especially if I find big ones like i know my lake has

Sounds good...i dont think i ever seen a 10 inch screen! will see if I can get around one of those units in person. Im also gonna be putting it on its own pole, the fishing specialties downrod set up more than likely. thats what i have my current 3in1 ducer on. I like them being independent of TM if you are gonna use them for anything beside 2d

Originally Posted by n_fish
I have a 1222, the resolution is excellent with the right settings and the manual settings are no problem. Not a touchscreen.

Touchscreen is why im considering lowrance too. If garmin rolls out something new thats where Ill go 100% though, even without the touchscreen. Thanks for the insights on the unit!

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/22/22 02:56 AM

Livescope isn’t just for finding fish. It’s great at showing under water cover and structure without having to idle over where you want to fish. I use it more for this then actually looking for fish.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/22/22 03:19 AM

I'm leaning really hard toward the 9's from a price standpoint. I've watched a lot of pro tournaments lately and it looks like most of them are using 9 inch sonar units even if they have multiple units at the bow a console. I figure if it works for them...........

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/22/22 06:40 AM

Im glad im not drinking tonight. I mightve ordered one! LOL

Gonna sell my Ti2 for $500 then probably looking for one of the combos with no transducer. If I get no transducer, does this eliminate all other features of the unit (Things like mapping, and water temp mostly...figure SI and DI is gone without a ducer)

Need to be patient now to see what Garmin rolls out! Def got myself fired up for it tonight tho! LOL
Posted By: coosa

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/22/22 01:49 PM

I think it depends entirely on what you wanna do with it. If you are trying to win tournaments and already have $50k or more in your rig, it makes sense to get the best unit you can. If you are fishing for fun, the 9" may be all you need.

I am retired and usually go bass fishing once a week and crappie fishing once a week. I have a stick steering boat with a 50 hp motor and don't fish for anything except the enjoyment of fishing. I have a 73sv on the starboard side and I run maps and traditional on it. A few months ago I added a 93sc that is a dedicated LS on the port side. I sit down all the time, so the units are not far away from my eyes and are both big enough. I got the LS and the 93 on sale for a little over $2k. The 12" unit alone is more than that. There was a limit on how much money I wanted to tie up in a boat like this.

I have no regrets on buying the 93. It has helped a lot with bass fishing, but it's really made a difference in crappie fishing. We have caught some big stringers on days when we wouldn't have gotten a bite without it. I am headed to the lake today; just waiting on it to warm up a little. I can't last more than about 6 hrs anyway, so I'm in no hurry. That's a different perspective from that of most posters here. Good luck deciding!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/22/22 02:30 PM

Depth of your lake is what matters, deeper water is going to need a bigger graph.

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/22/22 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by coosa
I think it depends entirely on what you wanna do with it. If you are trying to win tournaments and already have $50k or more in your rig, it makes sense to get the best unit you can. If you are fishing for fun, the 9" may be all you need.

I am retired and usually go bass fishing once a week and crappie fishing once a week. I have a stick steering boat with a 50 hp motor and don't fish for anything except the enjoyment of fishing. I have a 73sv on the starboard side and I run maps and traditional on it. A few months ago I added a 93sc that is a dedicated LS on the port side. I sit down all the time, so the units are not far away from my eyes and are both big enough. I got the LS and the 93 on sale for a little over $2k. The 12" unit alone is more than that. There was a limit on how much money I wanted to tie up in a boat like this.

I have no regrets on buying the 93. It has helped a lot with bass fishing, but it's really made a difference in crappie fishing. We have caught some big stringers on days when we wouldn't have gotten a bite without it. I am headed to the lake today; just waiting on it to warm up a little. I can't last more than about 6 hrs anyway, so I'm in no hurry. That's a different perspective from that of most posters here. Good luck deciding!

damn...not what i was wanting to read! LOL I was hoping for everyone to say 12!!!

Im real similar to you as far as my fishing goes....and if Im able to fish once a week, I consider that a lot....unfortunately. Thats a big reason why I havent done this before. boat alone is a luxury item....then when you dont get to use it as much as youd like makes the $3k add on a HUGE luxury item considering the useage itll get. Looks like Garmin just announced, and Im gonna have 2 months to decide.

What I can say for sure....is im off the Mega360 idea I was considering. Mega360 is great but I saw a TacticalBassin video that didnt impress me, plus my lakes decently easy to read based on the shore and I think live can potentially make the difference in spotting spotting those bigs we all want and not so much for Mega360. My home lakes a grinder...but I know its got some bigs. Maybe no SALs, but DDs and close to DD range for sure!
Posted By: Whaler-170

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/22/22 06:59 PM

Difference between a 9” & 10”.

[Linked Image]

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/22/22 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Whaler-170
Difference between a 9” & 10”.

[Linked Image]

WOW.....thats a definitely more noticeable difference than I was expecting!! Thanks a ton for this pic.....that 1022 might be that sweetspot for me!!! cheers
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 03:26 AM

You know what they always say...Go big or go home,,,although I don't know just who "they" really are.

I would choose the 12 over the 9 to answer your question because I did just that a few years ago.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 10:51 AM

i had a 9 on the active target and soon realized my eyesight is not what it once was so i got a 12. still catching the same few fish just not having to squint as hard as i once did.
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 11:54 AM

I just bought a new graph for active target and was considering a 9 because of the price. My buddy who has a 9 told me don't do it, pony up and get the 12. Looked at them side by side and to me there was a big difference. Bit the bullet and got the 12.
Posted By: NTX Angler

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 04:05 PM

Is anyone looking to sell a 93sv? I'm interested pls dm me

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 04:09 PM

No comparison from a 9" to a 12" specially for livescope. Had 9" graphs in the past and switched to 12"s on my last rig and wondered how I did without. New to me rig has 3 12's and a 10". Soon as I find the 12 i want to replace the 10 its going bye bye.

I'm interested in a 10 😃

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by bockscar

Gonna sell my Ti2 for $500 then probably looking for one of the combos with no transducer. If I get no transducer, does this eliminate all other features of the unit (Things like mapping, and water temp mostly...figure SI and DI is gone without a ducer)

Need to be patient now to see what Garmin rolls out! Def got myself fired up for it tonight tho! LOL

Man you ain't lyin!! Had a few the other night and bought a Calcutta Conquest🤦🤦
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 07:27 PM

I haven't bought the livescope yet but I waited and bought the 12 inch. Love it so far.
[Linked Image]

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 08:59 PM

9 is all you need. Garmin is ripping people off with those prices. I have a7 and have used it for 3 years now not a prob. Just got livescope looking for a 9 without transducer. Seven would do but 9 is going to look huge to me.

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by letsgofishin
Originally Posted by bockscar

Man you ain't lyin!! Had a few the other night and bought a Calcutta Conquest🤦🤦

I might smash them down quicker those days im wanting to buy something but the financially responsible version of myself wont allow it. Never thought id pay more than $25 for a damn bait....I unfortunately now have a collection of swimbaits WELL beyond $25 each 🤦‍♂️

This livescope trigger will likely get pulled when Im a few deep
roflmao

Originally Posted by letsgofishin

9 is all you need. Garmin is ripping people off with those prices. I have a7 and have used it for 3 years now not a prob. Just got livescope looking for a 9 without transducer. Seven would do but 9 is going to look huge to me.

Im really leaning toward a 10 inch because of that picture Whaler posted! Im barely a weekend angler....more like a damn monthly angler some times 🤦‍♂️😂 so just off the how little ill use it....its still hard for me to go all in with the 12. That 10 inch Whaler posted really has me thinking thats a good compromise.

and damn...just hit RMP (kinda using them for planning but will order elsewhere) and the GPSmaps 1022 is $700 cheaper than the 12 inch...and the 1022 is $2899 with the LV34. They just posted this because before I was planning for that LV32 lower price. Seeing these bundle prices....i think the 1022 is where Ill top out. $700 is almost a trip to Ivie for me 🤔 roflmao

Thanks for all the input everyone....but looking at the new LV34 prices and then Whalers picture....i think im going 1022 with the new LV34. Lets see when i can get to drinking and placeing that order cheers roflmao
Posted By: Chis D

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 09:47 PM

Livescope isn’t just for finding fish. It’s great at showing under water cover and structure without having to idle over where you want to fish. I use it more for this then actually looking for fish.

Agree 100%. If I see a fish, it's a bonus, but not my primary use.

I have a Echomap 93plus (livescope) and a 106sv (map/sonar/down) - see pic. This works great for me. I am sure the 12 is nice, but I like the split units.

[Linked Image]

Re: 9 inch screen vs 12 inch for livescope/active target? - 02/23/22 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chis D

Agree 100%. If I see a fish, it's a bonus, but not my primary use.

I have a Echomap 93plus (livescope) and a 106sv (map/sonar/down) - see pic. This works great for me. I am sure the 12 is nice, but I like the split units.

[Linked Image]

Why do those 10s look so big compared to the 9s?! Im sold on the 10....and Im telling myself im not gonna do it and sell it to fund the scope....but ill probably keep my bow unit (9 inch Ti2) and add the scope ducer on the separate pole i have it on right now. Nice set up!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum