Texas Fishing Forum

Is there a dominant reel maker?

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 05:34 PM

I'm curious if one of the big four is truly dominant or is it spread fairly evenly?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 05:51 PM

In my lifetime its been Shimano hands down. And I’m only speaking about bass fishing, because certain manufacturers seem to have niche markets.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fish Killer
In my lifetime its been Shimano hands down. And I’m only speaking about bass fishing, because certain manufacturers seem to have niche markets.

You seemed to like that TranX you used to catch the topwater tarpon.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 08:18 PM

Isnt Daiwa the only company thats not owned by another company? Lews started going down hill quite a while ago....still like me some BB1s tho
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 08:23 PM

The Pros I have rode with seem to prefer Shimano or Diawa. However that can change with Sponsor dollars. Just about all companies make a couple of good models. They can tune them up a little too get top performance out of them.

Most of the reel sponsorships are X reels per year. Some have better deals than that. Aaron Martens had all Shimano Mentanuims. Not a cheap thing for for the average angler. Aaron said..”best reel made”.

Personally I have been a Shimano guy. They always have been pretty good.Some have better Series than others. For example the Curado I wasn’t good but I like the Curado K. It also depends what country they are made in.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 08:35 PM

Based on sales? I am guessing lews is the leader in sales.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fishspanker
The Pros I have rode with seem to prefer Shimano or Diawa. However that can change with Sponsor dollars. Just about all companies make a couple of good models. They can tune them up a little too get top performance out of them.

Most of the reel sponsorships are X reels per year. Some have better deals than that. Aaron Martens had all Shimano Mentanuims. Not a cheap thing for for the average angler. Aaron said..”best reel made”.

Personally I have been a Shimano guy. They always have been pretty good.Some have better Series than others. For example the Curado I wasn’t good but I like the Curado K. It also depends what country they are made in.

I have been impressed the couple/few times I had that super high end shimano in my hands, but on the lower tier price points....curado and lower, I think the Daiwa is hard to beat. I recently bought a lews though for a swimbait rod....they are good chuckers I think still.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 08:56 PM

Shimano maybe.
I’m a Daiwa Tatula guy😀
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 09:00 PM

Capt Fred likes to toss the fake flying fish on the tranx on the Scat Cat. It's pretty amazing for its size. Shimano is at the top of the game, imo. Salt and freshwater leaders.
Posted By: Texbird

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by forkduc

I’m a Daiwa Tatula guy😀

+1
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 10:06 PM

I have Daiwa, Shimano, and Lews and like all three of them.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 10:22 PM

The Daiwa Steeze is impressive but I prefer my Metaniums and Bantams. Lews is just another run of the mill Doyo
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
I have Daiwa, Shimano, and Lews and like all three of them.

This here too! But I voted Shimano, since I have more Shimanos than the other two. I have not bought a Lews reel in a while, but I have 5 of their better older models (Team Lews Pro and Team Lites), and I don’t think the proTi models are worth a [censored]. Went with Shimano reels last year to fill the box and I like them mostly, but they are heavy.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Lews is just another run of the mill Doyo

I fully agree with you on this. Even when you look at some of the piscifun and kastkings....they look like rebranded Lews stuff. at least that was the case a few years ago. Piscifun and kastking seem to be selling and might be different now since they got prostaff and stuff like that, but when I tried those cheap options years ago they looked (even internally) like Lews stuff....lower end Lews, but still.

Still a daiwa guy, but I dont think you can go wrong with either shimano or daiwa if you want a reel thats gonna last year after year. Daiwas feel better in my hands...and I think thats why im a daiwa guy. The curado was meh for me...but something I still wanted. Those daiwas are all solid as hell tho
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 11:10 PM

Lews shouldn’t even be considered in the same category as Shimano. Diawa is getting there but still in second place.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 11:18 PM

Shimano hands down is my favorite

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Lews shouldn’t even be considered in the same category as Shimano. Diawa is getting there but still in second place.

That is just according to you. If you like Shimano best that is just up to you, its all about what each individual likes. I like Daiwa best, then Lews, then Shimano. Shimano used to be all I owned until they came out with the G series. That is when I looked at Daiwa and Lews and that was a great decision on my part to switch to better reels.

Its all about personal preference and what you like but I have had no problems at all with my Lews super duty and BB1 pro reels. I have 1 Metanium, 1 SLX 1 Shimano K, and 1 Shimano curado DC and that is all I have newer than the E series because I like the older Shimano's better. Shimano made them much better back then. I just don't care much for the newer ones. My favorites are the Daiwa Steez, the Zillion, the Tatula SV and the Elite and the DC. They just work better for me than the newer Shimano's. The shimano G was a disaster same as the Shimano I series. Terrible reels.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/13/22 11:49 PM

The only problem I’ve had with lews, is inconsistency. I bought 3, 2 were fine and the other was junk. I always end up with Shimano it seems like.
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 12:07 AM

Shimano for me

My personal opinion what its worth.
For reliability, performance and parts availability.

Shimano for sure.
Abu Garcia

Then maybe Diawa if they could figure out how to ship parts.
Lews
13 Fishing
Posted By: 9094

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 12:25 AM

In all honesty the most dominant reel maker would be the one who makes and sales the most reels. And over the past 50 years that is Zebco by a huge margin.
Posted By: Todd B.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 12:26 AM

For the price I find it hard to beat the Diawa Tatula SV’s for the price. What is the Shimano equivalent in the same price range?
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 01:12 AM

It used to be ABU/Garcia but Shimano takes the throne nowadays

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
For the price I find it hard to beat the Diawa Tatula SV’s for the price. What is the Shimano equivalent in the same price range?

SLX

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Todd B.

SLX

I agree. both of those two reels are very good.
Posted By: Verkeith

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 03:12 AM

Daiwa tatula series of reels are hard to beat, but I love my curado dc
Posted By: Alan

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 04:12 AM

Shimano for smoothness and light baits. But I have a rattletrap tied on a 4600c3 at all times.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 05:28 AM

Clearly there is a dominant maker
Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 12:09 PM

Always been a Shimano guy and always will.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 12:54 PM

Have a bunch of the old Curado "B" models and their Japanese counterpart, the Scorpions. Went to Lews in the mid-2000's but found them inconsistent in performance.

Last couple of reels were Curado and even tried a Tatula SV 103 which I consider equal with the Curado. Thinking I will stay with Shimano. Still using a half dozen of my older Shimano B models.

I am old enough to remember when the Abu Garcia 2500 - 5500's were the gold standard.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 572Fitter
Always been a Shimano guy and always will.

This!
Posted By: prosise

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 01:41 PM

Shimano (Made in Japan). All the way
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 02:03 PM

I have Daiwa, Lew's, Shimano and Abu. My favorite Shimano's are the E series Chronarch's I have. My favorite Lew's is the Super Duty. My Favorite Abu is the Winch for cranking. I have the most Daiwa, from the Tatula CT up through the Tatula SV. I have 1 zillion. I began building my Daiwa arsenal after the [censored] curado i came out

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 02:24 PM

What was so Carppy about the curado i?
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 02:46 PM

I prefer Shimano but also have Diawa, Lews and some Abu's.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 03:07 PM

I've thought for the last 20 years that Shimano was by far the leader on salt water side world wide, didn't have any idea there might be some other company that sell more reels of all kinds. Don't know if the link below is fake news. roflmao

https://www.seraphbikes.com/blog-ne...-Fishing-Reel-Manufacturer-11698198.html
Posted By: wug

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 03:41 PM

For me, SHIMANO. Started in early 80's with Daiwa and then upgraded to Abu Garcia....casting reels. I started using spinning tackle more and more and nothing came close to Shimano (even on the low end). Got my first 2 Curados and fell in love with the way they casted. Then the dark green ones....still great, until the (i) and I was disappointed in long term performance....still have 3 and make do. NOTHING even comes close to a STRADIC Ci4 I own 3 2500's and 3 1000's will not own a finer spinning reel. Next on my list to try in the Chronarch...to replace a Curado. Finding good rods has been more of an issue....just when you find one you love- THEY GO AND CHANGE IT!
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

A lot of known problems, mostly noisy breaks and gears when they initially came out. My Tatula's cast far better than it in particular.

They made the Curado K relatively fast after the I and it's better I hear but I am good with Daiwa
Posted By: TheHaydonSmith

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 05:50 PM

I’m straight Shimano, have used Lews, Abu, Daiwa, and Shimano is by the far the best mechanically, externally, quality wise, and long term smoothness….. I now have 12-15 Shimano ranging from the Stradic 2500 to the Metanium DC and everything in between
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 06:40 PM

I fish with Lews and Abu Garcia but used to own mainly Quantum reels and still have them, most based on the old 1310MG design. Quantum to me has fallen off the face of the planet when it comes to popularity. I’m not sure about their quality these days. KVD left them and that took them even further down in my book.
Posted By: Top Waters

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 08:32 PM

From reading these posts Ford is clearly dominant over Chevy and Ram isn't even on the same page. While we are talking about fishing reels, if anyone ever hears me complaining about one being heavier than the other please kindly remove my man card from my wallet.

Oh, and I am 100% Shimano for the record.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 08:58 PM

little surprized at shimano's huge share of the market now.......back in early 70's when tournament fishing first became popular,Ambassaduer probably had over 90% of the baitcaster market until mid to late 80's.....
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/14/22 10:40 PM

I've got a Simano Curado that I can cast a jerk bait with 10lb test blue Stren a mile with. Well maybe not a mile, but it will out cast all my other reels by far. Other reels are Abu Garcia, Diawa Tatula, and Lew's.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by prosise
Shimano (Made in Japan). All the way

Look at the bottom of your reels.

Not all of the newer ones are made in Japan. The good older ones were.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 12:17 AM

Noisy right out of the box. Shimano said that you need to oil the brakes on it. There is no other reel EVER including all the other Shimano's that you had to oil the brakes on. It was better than the G series but still not good. The K series was a little better, at least they didn't make noise like the I series.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by MagFluker

A lot of known problems, mostly noisy breaks and gears when they initially came out. My Tatula's cast far better than it in particular.

They made the Curado K relatively fast after the I and it's better I hear but I am good with Daiwa

+1

Tatula CT
Tatula SV CT best anti back lash reel on the market, better than the DC reels. That is not just a guess, I have several SV TW reels and a Shimano Curado DC and the Daiwas are better.
Tatula Elite

Fantastic reels.

Above those are the Zillion and the Steez

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Top Waters
From reading these posts Ford is clearly dominant over Chevy and Ram isn't even on the same page. While we are talking about fishing reels, if anyone ever hears me complaining about one being heavier than the other please kindly remove my man card from my wallet.

LOL I have had 2 Dodge trucks and still drive one, had 2 Ford trucks and my first truck was a Chevy. I will never own a Chevy truck again. I learned my lesson with the first one. I do like the Chevy cars but not the trucks.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 12:35 AM

Switching gears here,,,,My favorite most sensitive rods are the Shimano Adrena and the Daiwa Steez.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 12:47 AM

Switching gears here,,,,My favorite most sensitive rods are the Shimano Adrena and the Daiwa Steez.

Partial to my NRX's with metaniums

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 12:49 AM

The NRX is my third choice. I have two of them.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 12:57 AM

My Steez rod is average, at best. I’ve had an NRX, but just didn’t like it at all and traded it in. The most sensitive rod I’ve had was a Shimano….made with GLoomis help…loved it till I broke it boat flipping a 3 pounder.

If I had unlimited funds, I’d have a boat full of Poison Adrena rods. The best I’ve ever owned. Period.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 01:00 AM

I only have 6. Thinking of trying a poison adrena or steez ags next though.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Top Waters

The question was which one is dominant- a very vague question unless a metric is given. I ASSumed sales volume was the closest question being asked, instead most seem to think the question was “what’s your favorite reel brand “

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 01:37 AM

I only have 6. Thinking of trying a poison adrena or steez ags next though.

The Adrena is very sensitive and it is in the $350 price range. I have 6 of those. I just got the Steez ags and I really like it. I have 2 NRX rods and they are very sensitive also. The Megabass Destroyer I have is also a very sensitive rod. My next two most sensitive rods are the Kistler Z bone and the Dobyns Xtacy.

Since you have 6 NRX rods, that tells me you like quality equipment, so im pretty sure you will like the Adrena and the Steez

I am a tackle nut and do not hunt or play golf, so what money I save by not doing those, I spend on fishing tackle.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 01:41 AM

Daiwa owns their own factory and make their own reels. They also cut their own gears. Very, very few of the lower end stuff is outsourced. I want to say Shimano manufactures some of their own as well

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Daiwa owns their own factory and make their own reels. They also cut their own gears. Very, very few of the lower end stuff is outsourced. I want to say Shimano manufactures some of their own as well

Daiwa's high end reels are made in Japan. Their mid and low end are outsourced in Malaysia, Thailand, and China. Shimano's high end reels are made in Japan and lower end models are made in Malaysia.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 01:59 AM

Daiwa's high end reels are made in Japan. Their mid and low end are outsourced in Malaysia, Thailand, and China. Shimano's high end reels are made in Japan and lower end models are made in Malaysia.

I have worked with Daiwa for a long time. Been to a few Daiwa "schools" over the years and have done Daiwa training for different retailers. I am speaking from my own personal experience.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 02:15 AM

I have worked with Daiwa for a long time. Been to a few Daiwa "schools" over the years and have done Daiwa training for different retailers. I am speaking from my own personal experience.

I'm speaking from the Made in Malaysia sticks on the bottom of my SV TW's

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 02:38 AM

I'm speaking from the Made in Malaysia sticks on the bottom of my SV TW's

Daiwa owns the factories and cuts their own gears. A few lower end models are the only reels outsourced outside a Daiwa factory. We just had two days on the water and classroom last week training retail managers from across the country and we covered this pretty extensively. We had people from Daiwa corporate overseeing the training.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 02:50 AM

Below reels are made in Japan. Everything else is made in either China, Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, or Vietnam

Spinning Reels
2020 Saltiga G
Saltiga Bay Jigger
Certate SWG
Exist LT
Certate LT
Baitcasters
Steez CT
Steez SV
Steez A TW

[Linked Image]

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 03:13 AM

Below reels are made in Japan. Everything else is made in either China, Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, or Vietnam

Spinning Reels
2020 Saltiga G
Saltiga Bay Jigger
Certate SWG
Exist LT
Certate LT
Baitcasters
Steez CT
Steez SV
Steez A TW

[Linked Image]

They are made in Daiwa factories. I think you are getting hung up on the location of the factory itself. My initial post was just to point out that Daiwa manufactures their own gearing and product with exception of some lower end reels. cheers

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 03:17 AM

Spinning Reels
2020 Saltiga G
Saltiga Bay Jigger
Certate SWG
Exist LT
Certate LT
Baitcasters
Steez CT
Steez SV
Steez A TW

[Linked Image]

They are made in Daiwa factories. I think you are getting hung up on the location of the factory itself. My initial post was just to point out that Daiwa manufactures their own gearing and product with exception of some lower end reels. cheers

Daiwa factories in foreign countries are a partnership at best, not owned and not made in Japan. Twist it how you want.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 04:06 AM

Spinning Reels
2020 Saltiga G
Saltiga Bay Jigger
Certate SWG
Exist LT
Certate LT
Baitcasters
Steez CT
Steez SV
Steez A TW

[Linked Image]

Daiwa factories in foreign countries are a partnership at best, not owned and not made in Japan. Twist it how you want.

Not twisting anything at all. I have confidence in the info I shared and feel comfortable it is accurate. My main concern is just trying to be helpful to anyone that may be interested in Daiwa.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 04:25 AM

[Linked Image]

I bought 2 of these thinking they would be good quality. They are junk, every so often when setting the hook or jerking the rod, it’ll let the handle back reel and get a huge birds nest. Not sure if it’s the anti reverse bearing or what, but I have $30 spinning reels that are more consistent and aren’t defective. These were the last Daiwa’s that I’ll buy, $500 bucks wasted.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 10:44 PM

The Daiwa Zillion, and the Tatulas are great reels even if they are not made in Japan.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 10:45 PM

Spinning Reels
2020 Saltiga G
Saltiga Bay Jigger
Certate SWG
Exist LT
Certate LT
Baitcasters
Steez CT
Steez SV
Steez A TW

[Linked Image]

Not all Shimano's are made in Japan either.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 10:54 PM

I've got five 15-20 year old shimano chronarchs that were all made in japan.....

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 11:05 PM

Korean reels are almost as good as the Japanese reels.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 11:09 PM

Spinning Reels
2020 Saltiga G
Saltiga Bay Jigger
Certate SWG
Exist LT
Certate LT
Baitcasters
Steez CT
Steez SV
Steez A TW

[Linked Image]

Not all Shimano's are made in Japan either.

I covered that earlier. Some are made in Malaysia but we don't have Shimano reps on here misleading people that made in a Shimano factory.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/15/22 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
I've got five 15-20 year old shimano chronarchs that were all made in japan.....

Yep the OLDER models were made in Japan and were bullet proof. The Bantams, the B series, the D series and the E series were made in Japan and were very good reels.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 12:11 AM

Spinning Reels
2020 Saltiga G
Saltiga Bay Jigger
Certate SWG
Exist LT
Certate LT
Baitcasters
Steez CT
Steez SV
Steez A TW

[Linked Image]

So have you been to the Daiwa factories to support your claim? If not, then you are just guessing.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 12:13 AM

Spinning Reels
2020 Saltiga G
Saltiga Bay Jigger
Certate SWG
Exist LT
Certate LT
Baitcasters
Steez CT
Steez SV
Steez A TW

[Linked Image]

So have you been to the Daiwa factories to support your claim? If not, then you are just guessing.

I wouldn't waste your time arguing about it. I have never and will not ever knowingly mislead anyone. That ain't my style.
Posted By: TritonRob

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 12:55 AM

Don't know where they're made now but my few year old Tatula SV TWS says made in Thailand on the bottom of it...
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 01:26 AM

Shimano hands down, being a former triathlete I used their Dura Ace bicycle components. Pricey but top notch.
When I took up bass fishing I figured their reels would be as top notch and they are!!

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Is that like comparing a Hyundai to a Toyota? Yeah I’ll take a Toyota every time. Then again I have mostly lews/bps and a few shimanos, 1 Abu.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 02:42 AM

Spinning Reels
2020 Saltiga G
Saltiga Bay Jigger
Certate SWG
Exist LT
Certate LT
Baitcasters
Steez CT
Steez SV
Steez A TW

[Linked Image]

Not twisting anything at all. I have confidence in the info I shared and feel comfortable it is accurate. My main concern is just trying to be helpful to anyone that may be interested in Daiwa.

Mark you mind me asking what relationship you have with Daiwa.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Is that like comparing a Hyundai to a Toyota? Yeah I’ll take a Toyota every time. Then again I have mostly lews/bps and a few shimanos, 1 Abu.

Kinda.. I guess. I chose a Toyota myself. Even though it wasn’t a JDM truck. roflmao it was made in San Antonio.

The Lews reels I have are Korean Made. The Abus I have(very few) are Made in Sweden. The Diawa reels I have are made in Japan. My Shimanos are all Chinese. My opinion of the Lews reels that I own as being a quality product are based upon my own use and experiences. I had to look at the boxes to see that they were Korean. I now associate Korean reels as being better than Chinese made based on my conclusions. The Swiss reels are no longer used.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 06:14 PM

I have used Shimano's all of my working and retired life, only because then I could afford them.

As of late however, I have really worked my way into the Metaniums. But the new price is unreal for my budget. About 17 years ago I bought two of them off the internet and they quickly became my best casting reels. But recently, changing from a boater to a co-angler the need to cast further has me now buying Scorpion Metanium MGL's for around $100 plus shipping and that has really helped that process.

But there only so many used reels in excellent condition available so I bought a used straight Metanium. Well, this reel actually casts even further and already paid off with a 3rd place finish on a day when hardly any fish were caught.

So, if any of you want to get into a top-rated Shimano reel without emptying your account try a used reel.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
I have used Shimano's all of my working and retired life, only because then I could afford them.

As of late however, I have really worked my way into the Metaniums. But the new price is unreal for my budget. About 17 years ago I bought two of them off the internet and they quickly became my best casting reels. But recently, changing from a boater to a co-angler the need to cast further has me now buying Scorpion Metanium MGL's for around $100 plus shipping and that has really helped that process.

But there only so many used reels in excellent condition available so I bought a used straight Metanium. Well, this reel actually casts even further and already paid off with a 3rd place finish on a day when hardly any fish were caught.

So, if any of you want to get into a top-rated Shimano reel without emptying your account try a used reel.

Or buy the JDM models from Japan. I get my Metaniums from Digitaka. Currently they are about $270 and only take 3 days to get here.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Allen

That's what I've been doing, factory refurb reels of Ebay. I save a ton of money.
Posted By: Eat Sleep Fish 71

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/16/22 11:49 PM

Abu Garcia
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/17/22 01:21 AM

I don't like Asian stuff

[Linked Image]

roflmao

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/17/22 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
I don't like Asian stuff

[Linked Image]

roflmao

roflmao
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/17/22 11:06 PM

I’ve been a Shimano guy for the last 30 years and I will say that the later model low end reels are disappointing. One of my good buddies and I both have Curado K’s and are disappointed in the performance. Not bashing, just giving my opinion. I have several 11 year old Core’s that are as good as they were when I bought them. My Metaniums, Chronarchs and E Curado’s are awesome as well. I hate spending $400 on reels, but they pay for themselves long-term. I’d say kind of like buying a Diesel engine versus gas.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Is there a dominant reel maker? - 02/18/22 12:15 PM

Just got back from Mexico, I fished mainly Texas Rig and C-Rig for 6 days, and boated over 230 fish myself, After the 2nd day my Shimano Chronarch needed oil, my Lew's Pro TI never missed a beat the rest of the trip. Hands down just about the smoothest real I have ever fished and cast as far as the Diawa Tatula SV TW
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum