Texas Fishing Forum

Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello?

Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/22/22 07:07 PM

Thoughts on this? It would open up Monticello to fisherman. Highly doubt TPW would do it. I would donate to this effort.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/22/22 07:37 PM

Isnt Bob Sandlin below Monticello? I mean lower than Monti?
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/22/22 07:47 PM

could cause you a heap of legal problems tresspasing an damaging someone else with a lot of moneys private property.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/22/22 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Champion1
Isnt Bob Sandlin below Monticello? I mean lower than Monti?

They are now at the same level. They permanently opened the underwater gate between Sandlin and Monti….so Monti is now permanently 5ft lower than it used to be (and has a lot more white bass……and some of the LMB now caught in Sandlin look like Monti lily pad bass)
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/22/22 08:03 PM

Not happening. Pipe dream. The powers that be cannot care any less if we can fish Monti.
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/22/22 10:33 PM

How about a little lock for 3-4 bassboats at a time?
smile
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/22/22 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by LittleGazoo
smile

Either one would be nice
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/22/22 11:11 PM

Well if we are going to dream then crank that power plant back up!
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/22/22 11:49 PM

Just need to start collecting Tannerite........... roflmao
Actually, me and a friend of mine were talking about what if all three lakes just became one big lake this past week, nothing a big track hoe couldn't resolve in a week or two. All that would be needed would opening wide enough for boats to pass coming and going on the two dams. The thing is some or everybody involved would probably have a cow just for bringing it up; but it makes since doesn't it. with government officials involved we can't have that.......the other piece to this; and it may prevent it all together, is the difference in elevations. Bob Sandlin would probably be fine with it but the other two may nearly empty or worse.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 01:28 AM

I was wondering why they didn't combine them like they did Lewisville, Dallas, Garza/Little Elm... On the Monti/Sandlin side, it was really only about 3 foot difference between each other. I figured they could raise Sandlin by 1.5 foot and lower monti by the same to even out some of the property and creeks. Cypress is 20+ foot higher than Sandlin, so there's a big problem there. However, why Texas doesn't do Locking Dams is beyond me.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 03:19 AM

Interesting the lock thing has never been brought up, those bastard kayakers probably want Monti to themselves

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by BriannShell
Well if we are going to dream then crank that power plant back up!

Too late, they already demolished the smokestacks at the Monticello plant. That plant will never generate hot water again.

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by LittleGazoo
smile

WAY, WAY more expensive to build, run and maintain than just blowing a big hole in the current dam. They are at the same level now so no big deal (in my humble opinion). No matter, it will not happen at least in my lifetime.

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 03:14 PM

The lock idea I really like but that would probably run into more expense than any government agency would want to fork out. Opening the dam @ Monti would probably be the most feasible of all the choices if the elevations are that close.

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 04:33 PM

Bob Sandlin - Conservation Pool = 337.5
Monticello - Conservation Pool = 340
Cypress Springs - Conservation Pool = 378

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton
Bob Sandlin - Conservation Pool = 337.5
Monticello - Conservation Pool = 340
Cypress Springs - Conservation Pool = 378

Monticello definitely doable, no residential property involved it's just a matter of selling the idea to the right people. Cypress Springs would look like an empty bathtub. I think the biggest issue you would have with adding Monticello to Sandlin would be the folks that own the property around Monticello not wanting people trespassing on the land around it. Someone told me a while back that it can't be sold and developed for 100 years for some reason but IF that is the case, could it be donated to the state for a massive tax break?

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 10:02 PM

There was a group trying to regain access to the lake and control the dam, however the company that bought the plant refused to allow it. They are hoping to sell it as a major reservoir for private development. They can build everywhere expect the plant proper and the coal mine because they are/will be superfund sites. I would like to see it back at full pool with public access, but barring any possibility of that, blow the dam so it doesn't become another "lost lake" in Texas!
Posted By: DJB

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 10:07 PM

There is public access to Monticello. Just drag your kayak down the road and over the guardrail.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 10:18 PM

If they opened the dam Monto fishing would soon because as good as Bob Sandlin.
Or visa versa.

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1
If they opened the dam Monto fishing would soon because as good as Bob Sandlin.
Or visa versa.

The fish have been moving back and forth for a few years now. Since they opened the gates during the floods, White Bass made it into Monti, and the big "Slot fish" made their way into Sandlin. Lots of fat formerly Monti bass are weighed in tournaments on Sandlin these days.
Posted By: Hydrilla*Gorilla

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 11:22 PM

Really miss that lake.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/23/22 11:49 PM

There was a group trying to regain access to the lake and control the dam, however the company that bought the plant refused to allow it. They are hoping to sell it as a major reservoir for private development. They can build everywhere expect the plant proper and the coal mine because they are/will be superfund sites. I would like to see it back at full pool with public access, but barring any possibility of that, blow the dam so it doesn't become another "lost lake" in Texas!

Our TAX DOLLARS stocked fish in that lake, you would think that there would have to be some kind of public access to the lake...

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 01/24/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rube G.

Our TAX DOLLARS stocked fish in that lake, you would think that there would have to be some kind of public access to the lake...

I feel that way about several fisheries lately. Even if I have never fished them... Maybe it's time to call our state reps to see if they can pass something in the next legislative session to stop this junk from happening!
Posted By: Trenton97

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 02/10/22 04:12 PM

If you raised Sandlin 1.5', every dock on the lake would be underwater. 6", maybe.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 02/11/22 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by SC-001
Interesting the lock thing has never been brought up, those bastard kayakers probably want Monti to themselves

It's only fair they share with the bass boats and wake boats.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 02/11/22 02:56 AM

roflmao I may just go this coming weekend... wanna join me? Got a kayak? I didn't think so.. roflmao cheers

[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 02/11/22 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4

roflmao I may just go this coming weekend... wanna join me? Got a kayak? I didn't think so.. roflmao cheers

[Linked Image]

Nice!
Posted By: mike mikalson

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 02/12/22 02:34 PM

that thangs got indoor plumbing grin

Re: Blow open the dam between Sandlin and Monticello? - 02/12/22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rube G.

If they develop Monticello the developer may want the dam breached so the residents on Monticello will have access to the recreational areas of Bob Sandlin for water skiing, wake boats, and jet ski's; you guys know, all the stuff that annoys us. roflmao bang
Seriously, the right developer would have pockets deep enough to make it happen.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum