Texas Fishing Forum

Conroe trolling motor repair

Posted By: mhall1986

Conroe trolling motor repair - 01/18/22 03:12 AM

I started having issues with the ultrex last time out. It felt like the power steering went out. I could still use the foot pedal, it just took more effort than usual to turn. I looked on the minn kota website and the closest certified shop is in Humble, but the reviews are awful. Is there anybody around Conroe that works on trolling motors?
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Conroe trolling motor repair - 01/18/22 09:53 AM

Check with the guys at Top Tier Tackle. They're on 105 between Conroe & the lake. 936-242-1829. I don't know if they are a certified shop or not, but maybe they can point you in the right directions. I do know that they're doing rigging/installs now.

A buddy of mine had the same problem that you're talking about, I believe. He took his to the certified repair shop in Humble. I believe his only complaint was him actually having to remove the trolling motor and take it from Montgomery to Humble.
Posted By: pocove

Re: Conroe trolling motor repair - 01/18/22 10:36 AM

I used this guy and service and price were great. He is in north east Houston
G & S Trolling motor 281-441-9165,
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Conroe trolling motor repair - 01/18/22 11:58 AM

G&S are great guys to work with. They have been working on mine and buddies stuff for years. Everything from complete rebuild of a fortrex head that exploded in pieces to replacing entire shaft
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: Conroe trolling motor repair - 01/18/22 01:52 PM

I'll third G & S...
Posted By: mhall1986

Re: Conroe trolling motor repair - 01/19/22 01:51 AM

Thanks guys, I will be giving them a shot
Posted By: savntay

Re: Conroe trolling motor repair - 01/21/22 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by mhall1986
I started having issues with the ultrex last time out. It felt like the power steering went out. I could still use the foot pedal, it just took more effort than usual to turn. I looked on the minn kota website and the closest certified shop is in Humble, but the reviews are awful. Is there anybody around Conroe that works on trolling motors?

I had trouble with my first ultrex, it became harder and harder over time to rotate the head unit which evidently led to me breaking one of the cables. After replacing the cable, which I thought was the problem, I still had the rotation issue. I evidently found out that the circuit board underneath the foot pedal wasn't sealed correctly by Minn Kota (know issue which they have since corrected). I did a little YouTube research and replaced it myself, took about 30mins and cost $90 for the new board.
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Conroe trolling motor repair - 01/21/22 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by savntay
Originally Posted by mhall1986

I had trouble with my first ultrex, it became harder and harder over time to rotate the head unit which evidently led to me breaking one of the cables. After replacing the cable, which I thought was the problem, I still had the rotation issue. I evidently found out that the circuit board underneath the foot pedal wasn't sealed correctly by Minn Kota (know issue which they have since corrected). I did a little YouTube research and replaced it myself, took about 30mins and cost $90 for the new board.

Ken Smith put a youtube video up last year with the guys from Jones trolling motor. After watching video and diagnosing similar issue with my ultrex I gave Jones trolling motor a call and they confirmed foot pedal sensor board was out. 90-100 dollars and had it in 2 days and replaced myself in about 30 minutes.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Conroe trolling motor repair - 01/21/22 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
Check with the guys at Top Tier Tackle. They're on 105 between Conroe & the lake. 936-242-1829. I don't know if they are a certified shop or not, but maybe they can point you in the right directions. I do know that they're doing rigging/installs now.

A buddy of mine had the same problem that you're talking about, I believe. He took his to the certified repair shop in Humble. I believe his only complaint was him actually having to remove the trolling motor and take it from Montgomery to Humble.

I would really like to know if these guys do their own work. There are many places that when you drop the TM off, they just take it to someone else. I always take mine to Gulf Coast Trolling Motor in FTU on 45S. Yes, it is a long drive, but they have always been good to me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum