Texas Fishing Forum

USE OF LIVE TARGET

Posted By: wug

USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 03:33 PM

Please give your opinion of Live Target Fish Finders and how much do you benefit in catching bass. With a nearly $5,000 expenditure (12") I need to see the value that it brings to your fishing. I typically bass fish Deep/Clear Canyon Lake and Fayette County (blue gill in summer). Thanks
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 04:08 PM

If you're fishing for trophy fish, I can see the value. If you are a tournament fisherman, I am not seeing it winning anybody any more money.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by J.H.S.
If you're fishing for trophy fish, I can see the value. If you are a tournament fisherman, I am not seeing it winning anybody any more money.

I noticed it didn't hurt DC to win 300K at Red crest. Or anyone else in the top five. bolt
Posted By: DJB

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 06:44 PM

It works! There is a learning curve,but it's not hard. Great for finding schools of fish in deep water. If you only fish shallow I wouldn't recommend it. Then you get to watch all the fish swim to your lure and turn away. Ha.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 07:16 PM

I won a MediaBass solo with mine the first time I fished a tourney with it. It paid for itself the very first time. Seems like there is plenty of value in it to me!

For those that can’t use it, I’d agree it isn’t worth spending money on one if you ain’t ever gonna learn to use it.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by wug
Please give your opinion of Live Target Fish Finders and how much do you benefit in catching bass. With a nearly $5,000 expenditure (12") I need to see the value that it brings to your fishing. I typically bass fish Deep/Clear Canyon Lake and Fayette County (blue gill in summer). Thanks

The unit itself is only $1500. I’d buy the unit and a smaller screen at first, unless ya just gotta have that big screen.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 07:34 PM

SO i dont have it....but i really thought about it. I dont fish for any panfish.....if you do fish for panfish/food I think that right there should be a strong selling point for why you should get it. Before they started picking off DDs using livescope youd read "crappie scope" on forum/facebook posts that would talk about it. Seems like the panfish guys were the ones really getting tons of benefit, then the DDs in the last year or so I think are opening up peoples eyes to the potential for trophy hunting.

So if you fish for gills, crappie and other stuff for the table....it might be worth it just for that.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

I won a MediaBass solo with mine the first time I fished a tourney with it. It paid for itself the very first time. Seems like there is plenty of value in it to me!

For those that can’t use it, I’d agree it isn’t worth spending money on one if you ain’t ever gonna learn to use it.

Neat? I still stand by my comment. I am not seeing it dominate any of the tournament trails I fish. One tournament win in a Media event doesn't change my statement. My partner and I caught 34 pounds in a Media last year not using a graph. As a whole, it is good for crappie, white bass, and trophy fish (certain times of year).
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 08:35 PM

It can have a huge impact or it can make you a sucker, find one massive school and you’re a genius. Drive around all day looking for fish and can’t get them to bite, you’re a donor.

I do think a person could waste too much time relying on it for many lakes though. I “think” it would be beneficial on clear canyon types of lakes, not as useful in grass lakes.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 08:44 PM

the one thing I like about livescope is I can see how far my bait is off the bottom and can see how close it is to a fish. Does that help me in a tournament? I would say yes. On athens I could not see the fish in the grass until they start moving towards my bait. As people get better at using livescope and such you will see more fish caught with it..
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
It can have a huge impact or it can make you a sucker, find one massive school and you’re a genius. Drive around all day looking for fish and can’t get them to bite, you’re a donor.

I do think a person could waste too much time relying on it for many lakes though. I “think” it would be beneficial on clear canyon types of lakes, not as useful in grass lakes.

We have done very well with it and it has made a huge difference in a few tournaments for us. But, we have invested a bunch of time into learning how to use it. However, for roughly half the tournament we fished, we didn't even turn the graphs on except to navigate using the maps. Like grout-scout said, I would think it would be very benificial on deeper clear lakes. I have been fishing for most of my 57 years on the planet and using it has taught me a lot about bass behavior that I thought I already knew. Going forward, I can't imagine not having it. Pay attention to the leaderboards. It will definately be a player on some lakes. If you can go fish with someone who actually knows how to use it, you will see!
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 10:00 PM

I can definitely say it has made me 1000% more efficient fishing brush piles. No more having to make numerous casts to find it. You can hit even a small pile basically first cast every time. Other than that, it can contribute to catches that you otherwise would not have had, and can also send you down a rabbit hole of nothingness. The biggest thing is finding that balance of when it is a player and when it isn't.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by RedRaider3933
I can definitely say it has made me 1000% more efficient fishing brush piles. No more having to make numerous casts to find it. You can hit even a small pile basically first cast every time. Other than that, it can contribute to catches that you otherwise would not have had, and can also send you down a rabbit hole of nothingness. The biggest thing is finding that balance of when it is a player and when it isn't.

Valid point on the brush piles, no more guessing.
Posted By: IKELEVI

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 10:14 PM

I think it's great for folks who really can't fish all that well anyway. Takes a lot of the quest and sport out of it in my opinion.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/14/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by IKELEVI
I think it's great for folks who really can't fish all that well anyway. Takes a lot of the quest and sport out of it in my opinion.

Riiggghhhhtttttt. roflmao

I guess you hunt deer with open sights on old school lever action rifles too.
Posted By: Neches

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 01:49 AM

Neat? I still stand by my comment. I am not seeing it dominate any of the tournament trails I fish. One tournament win in a Media event doesn't change my statement. My partner and I caught 34 pounds in a Media last year not using a graph. As a whole, it is good for crappie, white bass, and trophy fish (certain times of year).
Patrick Walters $125,000 win on Fork, and no telling how much money Jacob Wheeler has won with it. But your right they aren’t dominating Media tournaments
Posted By: angleiron

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Neches

Patrick Walters $125,000 win on Fork, and no telling how much money Jacob Wheeler has won with it. But your right they aren’t dominating Media tournaments

Wheeler was doing just fine before Live Target

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 01:58 AM

Riiggghhhhtttttt. roflmao

I guess you hunt deer with open sights on old school lever action rifles too.

I bet if I said you can HAVE MINE, you’d be ok with taking it. roflmao

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Neches

Dang you got me. One Elite Series even two years ago. If you’re going to base an argument on that then this will be easy. Jacob Wheeler has won way more money without it than with it. At the end of the day if you sucked before live scope, you’ll still suck with it.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 02:04 AM

So….

Are you pissed that others have and can use it, or are you trying to justify buying/not buying it?

Which is it? It seems like there are those that have it, use it, and feel like they got their moneys worth from it….then there is the butt hurt crowd. roflmao

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 02:29 AM

Some of the best scopers in the tournament world all admit that it has its times to shine and times it’s worthless. John Soukup has said it many times, it’s helped him win some tournaments and it’s hurt him in some tournaments. I know Scott Martin has won a tournament because of it. But no matter what, a person has to be proficient at using it, nobody is gonna just turn it on and tear them up. I suck at finding bass with mine, but it’s helped me find many trees/brush that I didn’t know were down there. Now crappie fishing is a whole different situation.

Hey Steez, you should offer to give me your AT!

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 02:36 AM

So….

Are you pissed that others have and can use it, or are you trying to justify buying/not buying it?

Which is it? It seems like there are those that have it, use it, and feel like they got their moneys worth from it….then there is the butt hurt crowd. roflmao

I’m not 12. If I wanted it I’d buy it. I’ve done my research, talked to people who have it, fished against people who have it, and decided I don’t need or want it. That’s not “butt hurt”. There are people that don’t have and feel like it’s a waste of money, then there are people who put laughing rolling faces behind a joke that isn’t funny.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 02:45 AM

Don't hunt bud. Again it's not much of a challenge when you can hit something 300 yards away. Don't see the sport in it. As before that's just my opinion.
Posted By: junk baits

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 03:29 AM

Some of the best scopers in the tournament world all admit that it has its times to shine and times it’s worthless. John Soukup has said it many times, it’s helped him win some tournaments and it’s hurt him in some tournaments. I know Scott Martin has won a tournament because of it. But no matter what, a person has to be proficient at using it, nobody is gonna just turn it on and tear them up. I suck at finding bass with mine, but it’s helped me find many trees/brush that I didn’t know were down there. Now crappie fishing is a whole different situation.

Hey Steez, you should offer to give me your AT!

All This is 100% True!

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 03:33 AM

Don't hunt bud. Again it's not much of a challenge when you can hit something 300 yards away. Don't see the sport in it. As before that's just my opinion.

Oh that’s odd then, your profile said that your interest were: fishing & hunting.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 03:33 AM

So….

I’m not 12. If I wanted it I’d buy it. I’ve done my research, talked to people who have it, fished against people who have it, and decided I don’t need or want it. That’s not “butt hurt”. There are people that don’t have and feel like it’s a waste of money, then there are people who put laughing rolling faces behind a joke that isn’t funny.

Steez Is correct and a good guy! JHS? junior high school? I'm guessing.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 03:35 AM

So….

They have definitely proven it to be worthless at Ivie… roflmao

Just ribbing ya’, it’s not for everyone. It’s just for the guys that catch massive 14 & up pounders.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 03:38 AM

So….

So…you jumped in at the butt hurt.

There’s 1

You know you weren’t the one I was talking about…..

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 03:39 AM

So….

They have definitely proven it to be worthless at Ivie… roflmao

Just ribbing ya’, it’s not for everyone. It’s just for the guys that catch massive 14 & up pounders.

well

well stated...

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 03:43 AM

On a serious note; scope does have its place and obviously bed fishing is not it. Its Friday! Y'all drink and relax!! GO COWBOYS!!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 04:07 AM

It's funny to see people eat crow after they bad mouthed the technology and those using it 12 months ago and now the same people are "scopers"

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by junk baits
So….

Steez Is correct and a good guy! JHS? junior high school? I'm guessing.

Junior High School? Sick burn man. Or they are just my initials. Your call.
Also i never took a shot at steez’s character. I’m sure he is a good dude. Simply disagreeing with him about live scope.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 10:56 AM

At the end of the day if you sucked before live scope, you’ll still suck with it.

Thanks Josh, you just described me to a T roflmao
Posted By: bockscar

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
It's funny to see people eat crow after they bad mouthed the technology and those using it 12 months ago and now the same people are "scopers"

truth
Posted By: wug

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 04:24 PM

GREAT DISCUSSION....I'm still undecided. Some views I see look awesome and some look like noise on livescope.

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 04:39 PM

I do have a bow. Sorry

Re: USE OF LIVE TARGET - 01/15/22 05:05 PM

I do have a bow. Sorry

thumb

Originally Posted by wug
GREAT DISCUSSION....I'm still undecided. Some views I see look awesome and some look like noise on livescope.

I have a love and hate relationship with my LS. Loves what it does, but my dead zone is getting worse & worse. I’m on the verge of buying an AT and trying it out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum