Texas Fishing Forum

Is power plant at lake decker still operational?

Posted By: daleche21

Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/13/22 03:10 AM

Just trying to find out if the plant is running? Or if any one knows current water temp. Would have to drive from Killeen, just wanted to find out info before making the drive.
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/13/22 11:36 AM

Water temp is 56. I usually fish the lake 2x per week and yesterday was the first time ive seen the plant run in about a month.

Fyi the lake is very low but still launch able for a 20ft bass boat.
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/13/22 03:32 PM

I was riding my bike near the power plant the other day and it was running
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/13/22 03:38 PM

If you're using a 20 footer you better not like your skeg or prop a whole lot. It's low enough last time out I dinged up my dang prop. And nobody likes a dinged, dang, dogone prop.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/13/22 04:59 PM

They must not run it much, I was there last winter and the water was cold [Linked Image] tons of grass though so it still fished good
Posted By: ricochetrabbit

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/13/22 05:32 PM

Look up Walter E Long, Decker's new name, on lakemonster.com and you can see a thermal map of the lake. I just checked and the image data is a few days old but it'll give you a general sense of where the warmer/cooler parts of the lake are.

It's a fun little lake. Hope you land a DD.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/14/22 01:00 AM

I am almost positive that it's been shut down for years.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/14/22 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rayzor

No sir Rayzor. They just don't run it very much or often. But it's still running from time to time. I would imagine during peak times or unusual weather patterns.
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/14/22 10:41 AM

Plant runs nearly everyday in the summer

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/14/22 03:11 PM

I would guess last February it may have ran unless it was one of the plants that had already been mothballed for the spring, I was there before that and it was the same temp as lake austin at the lime.
Posted By: Kapnbill

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/14/22 06:59 PM

Careful at that ramp. It is still useable but lots of skegs and props getting banged up unless you are extremely careful. I've never seen the lake this low below. Dinged my skeg last trip (Ranger Z520C), had jack plate all the way up and trimmed to 80%. Didn't try to power load and still hit. Won't be heading back til they pull some water in. frown

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/15/22 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by fivebites

No sir Rayzor. They just don't run it very much or often. But it's still running from time to time. I would imagine during peak times or unusual weather patterns.

I am glad to hear that it is at least running some!
Posted By: doctorb

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/15/22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kapnbill
Careful at that ramp. It is still useable but lots of skegs and props getting banged up unless you are extremely careful. I've never seen the lake this low below. Dinged my skeg last trip (Ranger Z520C), had jack plate all the way up and trimmed to 80%. Didn't try to power load and still hit. Won't be heading back til they pull some water in. frown

Yea it is getting really low again this year. I have a Z520 as well and definitely have to be careful at the ramp. If it goes down further I'll have to switch to my jet boat like I had to last year. As far as the plant being shut down it was slated to but I heard the winter storm from last year got the powers to be rethinking shutting down some of these plants and bought it some more life.
Posted By: AnAfghanHusky

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/16/22 05:59 PM

I work in the power industry and saw a notice from Austin Energy that they will be retiring 2/3 of the generating capacity at Decker by end of March this year. Assume it will run even less in the future.

Link for those interested: https://austinenergy.com/ae/about/n...gy-announces-generation-portfolio-update

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/17/22 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Amberlamps
Water temp is 56. I usually fish the lake 2x per week and yesterday was the first time ive seen the plant run in about a month.

We were on Bastrop today. Water was 59 max in the lake. Went to the discharge where the water was screaming through, but it only measured 62 max.

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/17/22 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Amberlamps

We were on Bastrop today. Water was 59 max in the lake. Went to the discharge where the water was screaming through, but it only measured 62 max.

Seen that the last couple trips there the last 2 years.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/17/22 04:55 AM

It'll be a golf course and condos before too long. Nobody here cares about fishing
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Is power plant at lake decker still operational? - 01/17/22 05:19 PM

the current plans for it, look nice. I think everyone voted against the golf course
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum