Texas Fishing Forum

When do bass start spawning in central Texas?

Posted By: daleche21

When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/09/22 09:10 PM

Just looking for information about spawning time on lakes in the area Belton, Stillhouse, Canyon, Whitney, etc. I have lived in east texas and west texas but this will be my first year in the Killeen area. Any help/info would be appreciated.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/10/22 12:48 PM

My family had a lake house many years ago on Whitney. The major push in during that time was normally in April. No matter how the weather is a lot of times we realized that when it gets to the right time of year the fish seemed to know it and would make a move. I always watched the weather and especially water temperatures but one year fishing was getting good but a major front came through in early April with some sleet and snow. A couple of days after it went through I went out and found and fished for bass actually still on beds and the water temperature was 49 degrees.
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/10/22 01:45 PM

An old timer once told me, "when you start seeing the flowers and bluebonnets, the fish are starting to spawn and move shallow. Nature has a way to show you if you look".
Posted By: JC1965

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/10/22 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun
An old timer once told me, "when you start seeing the flowers and bluebonnets, the fish are starting to spawn and move shallow. Nature has a way to show you if you look".

I was told that when the Dogwoods bloom the fish are in the coves.....LOL
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/10/22 02:50 PM

I'm from Rayburn area as well and do a ton of sight fishing out here. It's no different than east texas. Totally dependant on the weather. I've seen them in February and I've seen them in May
Posted By: forkduc

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/10/22 03:08 PM

When water is 60
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/11/22 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by JC1965

I have also heard this from a old timer. He had fished around North Texas for 60+ seasons and he swore it to be the fact based on his observations. I dont doubt it. He is the big fishing hole in the sky now or he would tell you all about it.

RIP Jim
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/11/22 12:57 AM

If you wait that long you might have already missed a wave or two of spawners
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/11/22 01:19 AM

Already spawning on Choke before the big cold front on the 2nd, beds everywhere.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/11/22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Agreed. I believe some of the biggest fish in the lake go early when the water temp hits high-50's. I've seen too many giants caught over the years at Fork in Feb in 3' of water before it ever got to 60 degrees.

Including this 17.08 caught off the bank by Troy Coates on Feb 26th at night. Joe Axton was fishing down the bank and saw him catch it.

https://tulsaworld.com/archive/bank...79a96ee-44ca-5980-abd5-9060e2940f5d.html
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/11/22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Agreed. I believe some of the biggest fish in the lake go early when the water temp hits high-50's. I've seen too many giants caught over the years at Fork in Feb in 3' of water before it ever got to 60 degrees.

Including this 17.08 caught off the bank by Troy Coates on Feb 26th at night. Joe Axton was fishing down the bank and saw him catch it.

I have caught bed fish in February at Fork before.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: When do bass start spawning in central Texas? - 01/11/22 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Yup one of the biggest I've ever caught was super bowl weekend off a bed. Water was just barely 59-60 in east Texas
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum