Texas Fishing Forum

Rod preference

Posted By: Jiggy wid it

Rod preference - 01/06/22 10:24 PM

What rod action and length do you prefer for a bladed jig rod?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Rod preference - 01/06/22 10:47 PM

7’ medium heavy/moderate fast.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Rod preference - 01/06/22 10:58 PM

7' 2" MH with fast tip. Graphite.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

My hook up % went way up when I switched from MH/fast to a mod fast.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 02:02 AM

A 6'8' spinnerbait rod... Dan
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by sprigsss

Exactly why you should use that action. It allows the fish time to get the bait good before the hook gets yanked. The moderate fast tip flexes just enough to allow a 1/2 second longer to eat it good before the backbone kicks in. Length of the rod isn’t too critical. 7ft is just a comfortable length for me. Mark is a giant, so his 7’2” is probably what’s good for him. He also uses MB rods and they are japan-easy. Their fast is more of a moderate fast.
Posted By: TheHaydonSmith

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 04:00 PM

7’3” MH F or a 7’3” MH M….I’m using the Reel Time Rods MB7310-20 or MB73 8-15 depending on weight of bait and what I’m fishing it over
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 04:58 PM

For me, something 7'3"-7'6" ish for open water, over vegetation for example, when long casts are the deal. 7'0"-7'3" ish for tighter cover where accuracy is needed on shorter casts. MH power, M to MF action depending on the rod manufacturer's or that line of rods' trends (some lean more stiff, others more soft than their rating might suggest). I'm looking for flex down about 1/3-1/2 from the tip of the rod. Don't really care about sensitivity for this application; I feel like you can get away with lower-end lines of your favorite brand of rod. The benefit from a high-end line of rods here is more about making sure the blade is vibrating properly throughout the cast than feeling bites; you know when a fish is on a bladed jig. You can give a cheaper rod a little tug occasionally to check for vibration and save some money (the vibration-check tug may even get you a bite).

If you end up getting a rod that's a little too stiff for your preference, you can use a 15-20 lb monofilament for a bit more stretch/give than a higher density fluorocarbon / braid, and vice-versa if the rod ends up a bit too soft.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 05:21 PM

For what it's worth quite a few of the pros use glass rods to fish chatterbaits. Just a heavy glass cranking rod which is basically a moderate action rod but with the parabolic bend
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 05:31 PM

That Shimano Poison Adrena 7'3" MH Reg-fast is a great chatterbait rod. I'll use it for swimjigs too.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss

Exactly why you should use that action. It allows the fish time to get the bait good before the hook gets yanked. The moderate fast tip flexes just enough to allow a 1/2 second longer to eat it good before the backbone kicks in. Length of the rod isn’t too critical. 7ft is just a comfortable length for me. Mark is a giant, so his 7’2” is probably what’s good for him. He also uses MB rods and they are japan-easy. Their fast is more of a moderate fast.

This ^^

I really like my Falcon LowRider "Swim Jig" 7'2" Medium Heavy Casting Rod (LFC-72MH). It's a Moderate Fast action. However, I throw my chatterbaits on braid. You need a little more give in the rod. If you using fluorocarbon line you can get away with a rod like a Falcon Head Turner. It's a little shorter and you can made a some more precise casts.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 06:43 PM

I prefer a MH Moderate 7' - 7'3"

Have a custom rod that fits this bill perfectly. It also makes a great spinnerbait rod.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 07:40 PM

I like this one a lot. I also throw square bills, lipless rattlers and spinnerbaits on it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mallison22

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 08:22 PM

Evergreen Combat Stick Casting Rod 7'3" Heavy Glass

Great bladed jig rod.
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Rod preference - 01/07/22 09:49 PM

It is hard to say what rod is best for you. As chatter baits can range fro 1/4 ounce an up, you fishing grass, cypress knees, rocks, docks, flooded buckbrush etc. Line size, mono, braid, flourocarbon. With so many choices it is hard for others to tell you what rod you should use. Pick the one you want and adjust the other variables around it.
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Rod preference - 01/08/22 02:27 AM

G. Loomis IMX-PRO Bladed Jig 883C BJR 7'4” Medium Heavy Casting Rod
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Rod preference - 01/08/22 04:07 PM

7'3" heavy glass. Works flawlessly
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Rod preference - 01/08/22 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
7'3" heavy glass. Works flawlessly

Yeah, I use the Dobyns 736 cb glass specifically
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Rod preference - 01/09/22 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
A 6'8' spinnerbait rod... Dan

I do the same, an FXtreme brand.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Rod preference - 01/09/22 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Champion 221 Elite
G. Loomis IMX-PRO Bladed Jig 883C BJR 7'4” Medium Heavy Casting Rod

Looked at one of these recently. May have to add it to my collection.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum