Texas Fishing Forum

Shadow 22 Magnum?

Posted By: KnotTexan

Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 03:18 AM

Someone refreshed a thread over on the BBC and posted this video. I asked the question about what happened to this boat brand and no response. I’m just curious cause it is a beautiful boat and seemed to be ahead of its time. So maybe someone in TFF land can shed some light. Thanks cheers.

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 04:29 AM

I would guess that Patt Goff would be one of the few that might have info on that.

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
I would guess that Patt Goff would be one of the few that might have info on that.

thumb

Did you watch? Pretty interesting and the end product was good looking, I thought anyways? coolio
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 04:49 AM

Ken Addington was involved heavily in the industry a that time. He may know about the boat.

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by KnotTexan

thumb

Did you watch? Pretty interesting and the end product was good looking, I thought anyways? coolio

I did watch, the turning radius seemed a bit wider than I’d want, but I’m used to a deep V hull that bites when turned. The speeds seemed pretty dang fast for the motors they ran, never know if they were modified though for more HP.

From the Chevrolet in the video, I would guess it was late 80’s or early 90’s???

Well, the search engine has a little info on it.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/8519133/shadow-22-magnum-bass-boats

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by KnotTexan

thumb

I did watch, the turning radius seemed a bit wider than I’d want, but I’m used to a deep V hull that bites when turned. The speeds seemed pretty dang fast for the motors they ran, never know if they were modified though for more HP.

From the Chevrolet in the video, I would guess it was late 80’s or early 90’s???

Well, the search engine has a little info on it.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/8519133/shadow-22-magnum-bass-boats

Interesting, thanks cheers.

Apparently it wasn’t a very big hit. And the same person who refreshed the above thread in 2020 with their first post is the same person who refreshed a similar thread on the BBC in the General Bassboat topics forum? Hmm
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 01:29 PM

looks like a cross between a bullet and charger.
looks like a good hull, never heard of this particular one tho.

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 02:59 PM

Reading the ultimate Bass website, it appears that they were prone to breaking hulls in rough water. To be expected I suppose with a super light weight hull. If the 2020 poster is trying to bring them back, he better start doing some more advertising, since none of us have heard of it.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 03:27 PM

Doesn’t look to be set up very well for fishing IMO, but that just me- I think bass boats should carry the beam way far forward
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 03:30 PM

If memory serves me correctly, Shadow had quality issues. They also built a tunnel V. I've seen one and wasn't impressed with the build quality. Kinda on par with TideCraft.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Ken Addington was involved heavily in the industry a that time. He may know about the boat.

I was the Shadow rep for TX & LA for two years in the mid 80's. Their factory was in Corbin KY. They were good looking boats with sleek lines and low profiles. I would put them one notch above a Tide Craft. I ran one of their 17.5' vee bottom boats for two years with a Yam 150. It performed well for a boat that size with a 150. Back then an 18' boat was a large boat. They also built a 19.5' Tunnel Vee that was supposed to be their high-perf bass hull. Shadow had a small following around KY. They went under shortly thereafter. This was a classic example of a bean-counter running a company. He knew nothing about bass fishing at all.

BassCat's biggest boat was a 19' 3" Pantera and I had three of them, '89, '90 & '91 when I was guiding full time. I told Ron Pierce & Ivan Williams it was time that someone built a 20+ foot boat and they told me that a 20 foot boat was too big and would never sell.

What did I know!? I only fished 250 days a year. LOL

The most popular boats back then were 17' 10" Rangers and 17' 9" Skeeter Starfire 175. I saw the first 20' Ranger at Star Mart in about 1991 or 1992.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Shadow 22 Magnum? - 12/27/21 08:13 PM

the thing about bean counters in the boat business is most of them know when to get out unless they are using a bunch of other peoples money.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum