Texas Fishing Forum

Hook sharpening?

Posted By: ModGuy56

Hook sharpening? - 12/23/21 10:08 PM

So I’m curious what is exactly the best way to sharpen a hook or if there is something you can buy to make it easier? I’ve used fingernail files and they just don’t seem to get them sharp to me and I have googled some things online but I wanted to check and see what has worked best for y’all. Got a jackhammer that is starting to get wore out.
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 02:22 AM

i'm happy I bought a few when they were $1... but hands down, this is all you need - period, find it elsewhere cheaper if you can... you want to use a hand hone, you will get proficient in taking the right amount of material off the hook... the electric ones are great, but as the old saying goes - " never trust your life to a battery", not that your life depends on sharpening a hook, unless your Tom Hanks on a Fedex airplane... you can also use a medium grit knife sharpening stone...

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/eagle-claw--hook-hone-sharpener--11506037?msclkid=77f2801412881f50ce14e1d13ff063bc&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BSC%3EBrand&utm_term=4576992029636325&utm_content=West%20Marine
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 02:45 AM

Rapala makes a hook sharpening stone. It has three grits with little channels in them to run the hook along. I’ve used it once. I generally lose baits and hooks faster than I have ever worn them out. bang
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 02:57 AM

Lake fork tackle has a great one they are $10 or you can also go to www.williamsoutdoorproducts.com.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bass-N-Buck Master
Lake fork tackle has a great one they are $10 or you can also go to www.williamsoutdoorproducts.com.

That one looks really nice. I think I’m gonna buy one just to have.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 05:14 AM

I use a battery powered dremel tool. Takes just a few seconds. It gets them pokey...
Posted By: prosise

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 12:57 PM

Best advice, find the oldest salty man you know. The old timers know how to sharpen a knife on a wet stone. Same principle, the angle of the metal upon the sharpener. I check the tip of the hook on my finger, or nail. If it scratches the nail it needs a little help. If it digs into the nail without any pressure, your good. I check every hook before use, and i have 3 sharpeners on the boat. I like the little 10$ sharpener on amazon, as it has a groove. but a flat diamond sharpener works really good. Keep your hook box dry, and you will not sharpen as much. Most people just throw a dull hook away.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 01:40 PM

6x9 piece of MEDIUM, 3M scotchbrite. 8-10 strokes in the direction of the hook will do it. Works great on new conventional hooks, not TroKar, or some Owner hooks with the razor edge. DO NOT USE ON HOOKS WITH RAZOR SHARPENING. Take it to the bank, this is the best and the easiest way to sharpen your hooks.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 03:35 PM

I've used one of these for nearly 4 decades. They can be had at Bass Pro for $3. It does a really good job. You lay the outer point down on it flat and pull the hook down it a few times and it is razor sharp. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 06:46 PM

I used to sharpen hooks all the time. With the quality of the hooks today I hardly ever sharpen any more. On the rare occasion I do I have a little med stone I keep in the tray.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 06:49 PM

EZE-LAP sharpener-best I have ever found.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 09:50 PM

Hooks these days are sharp as hell already....we used to do it religiously, but I haven't messed with it in a decade
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by prosise
Best advice, find the oldest salty man you know. The old timers know how to sharpen a knife on a wet stone. Same principle, the angle of the metal upon the sharpener. I check the tip of the hook on my finger, or nail. If it scratches the nail it needs a little help. If it digs into the nail without any pressure, your good. I check every hook before use, and i have 3 sharpeners on the boat. I like the little 10$ sharpener on amazon, as it has a groove. but a flat diamond sharpener works really good. Keep your hook box dry, and you will not sharpen as much. Most people just throw a dull hook away.

[Linked Image]

This is what I use and it works very well.
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Hook sharpening? - 12/24/21 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jonah's View
i'm happy I bought a few when they were $1... but hands down, this is all you need - period, find it elsewhere cheaper if you can... you want to use a hand hone, you will get proficient in taking the right amount of material off the hook... the electric ones are great, but as the old saying goes - " never trust your life to a battery", not that your life depends on sharpening a hook, unless your Tom Hanks on a Fedex airplane... you can also use a medium grit knife sharpening stone...

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/eagle-claw--hook-hone-sharpener--11506037?msclkid=77f2801412881f50ce14e1d13ff063bc&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BSC%3EBrand&utm_term=4576992029636325&utm_content=West%20Marine

Been using these for years!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum