Texas Fishing Forum

Front graph question

Posted By: JoshT254

Front graph question - 12/20/21 03:55 PM

I'm wanting to replace an elite 7 that's flush mounted on my boat. 2006 legend 186 dc. I'm wanting to put a 9" garmin where the elite is. The issue is the garmin unit is about 3/4-1" bigger than the spot the elite is in. The plastic where it mounts is one solid piece that covers entire front of boat. Is there anyway to put a 9" or 10" graph up there without having to mount to the floor? I dont have a recessed trolling motor petal, so I'm trying to keep from having anything else on floor ( in foot space) if possible. I'm not planning on stacking graphs at anytime or running doubles up front.

Attached picture 20211213_163910.jpg
Posted By: mikey_ batts

Re: Front graph question - 12/20/21 04:00 PM

I would build a solid plate out HDPE (you can buy it on Amazon) and mount with where your graph is now. From there I would just use the Garmin gimble bracket and screw that to the HDPE plate.

Re: Front graph question - 12/20/21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikey_ batts
I would build a solid plate out HDPE (you can buy it on Amazon) and mount with where your graph is now. From there I would just use the Garmin gimble bracket and screw that to the HDPE plate.

Happen to have any pics of this?
Posted By: Martinial

Re: Front graph question - 12/20/21 05:30 PM

I've used this product twice to cover the holes left when I mounted new depth finders on the bow and at the console of my Ranger. They are customizable and look professional. I highly recommend it.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/cut-...hnfPy9AIV8RvUAR0KNgA1EAAYAiAAEgJQJ_D_BwE

Al
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Front graph question - 12/20/21 06:30 PM

HPDE rocks!!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Front graph question - 12/20/21 07:07 PM

1/4" pvc works great, super easy to work with.

https://www.amazon.com/Expanded-PVC...vc+sheets&qid=1640027129&sr=8-18
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Front graph question - 12/20/21 07:30 PM

I made a plate out of 1/2” lexan, then wrapped it to match the rest of the boat. Mounted the graph to that lexan part. [Linked Image]
Ain’t the prettiest, but not bad looking
Posted By: MikeW07

Re: Front graph question - 12/20/21 07:59 PM

Might take a look at precision sonar to see the mounts they make - would probably cover the hole

Re: Front graph question - 12/21/21 12:12 AM

So you buy a sheet of that then cut to fit? What do you cut it with hacksaw?
Posted By: mhall1986

Re: Front graph question - 12/21/21 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by JoshT254
So you buy a sheet of that then cut to fit? What do you cut it with hacksaw?

A jig saw or Dremel would probably be a pretty safe bet...
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Front graph question - 12/21/21 01:22 AM

I cut a pattern out of 1/2 mdf. I sanded it to be the perfect shape. I then rough cut the lexan to be about 1/8-1/4” bigger then the template. I attach the lexan to my 1/2” mdf template (using double sided tape) and, using a triple flute flush cut router bit, I trim the lexan to be an exact duplicate of the MDF. Then I switch over to a 1/2” round over bit on the router and route the edges to have a perfect round edge. Drill the holes for mounting and use a 45degree beveled countersink bit. Then bolt it down with stainless wood screws.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum