Texas Fishing Forum

Josh Jones Fishing

Posted By: Gary Dobyns

Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 04:22 AM

Here's a bit on Josh, and I'll admit right off that I call him a good friend. I've seen him spend countless amounts of time with kids, fans, and fishermen wanting a tip or help setting up their electronics. I'll finish my breakfast and then wait for him to finish his because he's taking the time to talk with anyone that approaches and wants a few words. He's a heck of an angler with and without the electronics, but without them he's at least somewhat normal smile . He doesn't always catch fish either. Just because you can find them doesn't mean you'll catch them. I've seen him struggle horribly just like the rest of us. One day last May on Ivey was one of those days. We could find them with electronics but catching sucked. He boated one 3 pound fish and after hours of chasing them around he says "this isn't going to work, what are we going to do"? I said it's May and post spawn we're going to topwater them and I'm going to kick your [censored]!!! smile smile We caught them pretty well too. No giants but fish to 5 pounds and we had a blast. But, I got to see Josh make pinpoint casts and have to really fish for them. This day is the day I realized he's really a special angler. He has struggle days just like all of us but he keeps at it and keeps trying different structures, different baits and techniques, and if it's a bad day, he says I'll get them tomorrow. Josh is really just a great outdoorsman. He loves noodling big cats, chasing pheasants and deer, and is an archery nutcase. He has some amazing whitetails taken with a bow. He does charge an insane $1000 a day for guide trips but it's far more of a teaching lesson with electronics than anything else. Catching a few fish is a bonus, the knowledge you step off that boat with stays with you forever. Now If i could get him in a barber shop that would really be something smile smile THX to all for reading this long post and Merry Christmas to ALL!!!
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 04:34 AM

Merry Christmas, Gary
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 10:57 AM

Great write up and have to say, even though we talked a little smack in the other thread about him at the end of the day the guy is a great angler living the dream.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 11:26 AM

Thanks for the good write up, he is one heck of a fisherman...
Posted By: rbspots

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 01:45 PM

And now you know...the rest of the story
Posted By: Gary Dobyns

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 03:57 PM

I should also say we've had some insane days as well. When a guy can tell you the size of the fish within a pound and many time within ounces off a screen, he's good. Hell he guesses size better looking at a screen than most guys do with them in their hand smile Many of us are jealous of his skills (I am) but you must give a guy credit where it's deserved. He didn't get as good as he is by sitting on the couch. He spends a lot of time on the water. He was a working man punching a time clock until a couple of years ago. He's found his niche in the sport of fishing which many call chasing the dream. Running cameras, trying to get the best video, editing, and all he does, is a pain in the a$$, when all he really wants to do is go catch another fish. If you're going to catch numbers of big fish, you must chase big fish. Josh just does it better than most of us.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 04:30 PM

Mr. Dobyns brings up a good point I think we as a bass fishing community can all get behind...and actually has some substance to it......whats with the dudes hair?!?! roflmao

FWIW...if you go through the threads you can see how it really is a vocal minority who are hating on his accomplishments, and also see how asinine the rationale for why they hate on him is/was. The thread from last winter was legitimately funny...especially if you read it through and see how it progressed and how many of the haters ended up with egg on their face at some point. It really was entertaining to see the mental gymnastics some people were doing to try and find reasons to degrade someones accomplishments.

Aside from the hippie hair....ill wait until the guy gives me a legitimate reason to hate on him....beside him catching bigger fish than me! 🤷‍♂️
Posted By: rh47

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 04:43 PM

100% on the money Mr. Dobyns. thumb
Posted By: 521Rangerman

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 05:08 PM

Merry Christmas Gary! Great write up.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 05:24 PM

Great read, Mr.Dobyn-I don’t get the hate. The man is on to something special, for sure. The hair? Y’all jealous about that too roflmao I’m working on my length, as I haven’t had a haircut since November 2019-I got a ways to go to catch up with Josh though. The women love the long hair, ask me how I know grin
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 09:06 PM

$1,000 a day to go fishing and free Dobyns rods, yeah I'm pizzed.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 10:25 PM

The bass fishing world is full of people who hate on others and those types tend to group up in a little hater wolf-packs. It mostly comes from the bottom up. If a guy catches a lot of fish, someone who can't catch fish hates on them. If a guy buys a nice new boat and has nice equipment, those without hate on those with nice stuff.

It's comical! The ones doing most of the hating will never take the time to work hard enough to afford the nice things or work hard enough at fishing to learn to find and catch fish themselves.
I've known guys for many years that have always complained about both and those same guys over the years have done zero for themselves to improve themselves financially or as anglers. Today the same types are still not catching fish out of the same types of junk they were 20+ ago.

Too much hate and not enough healthy admiration for those who happen to be better than us at fishing2cents
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/19/21 11:38 PM

When I get a bass boat equipped with livescope or equivalent I would most definitely pay $1000 to learn from the best. As a former Striper guide I’m use to strolling around for hours looking for fish, so that won’t be a problem for me I don’t think. There is a difference paying to catch fish and paying for knowledge and education.
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/20/21 03:51 AM

I know 4 guys that have spent the $1000 to fish with him, and all 4 said it was some of the best money they have ever spent in fishing. Dudes that good and smart with his electronics
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/20/21 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
The bass fishing world is full of people who hate on others and those types tend to group up in a little hater wolf-packs. It mostly comes from the bottom up. If a guy catches a lot of fish, someone who can't catch fish hates on them. If a guy buys a nice new boat and has nice equipment, those without hate on those with nice stuff.

It's comical! The ones doing most of the hating will never take the time to work hard enough to afford the nice things or work hard enough at fishing to learn to find and catch fish themselves.
I've known guys for many years that have always complained about both and those same guys over the years have done zero for themselves to improve themselves financially or as anglers. Today the same types are still not catching fish out of the same types of junk they were 20+ ago.

Too much hate and not enough healthy admiration for those who happen to be better than us at fishing2cents

^^Exactly!! Easier to cast shade then work to improve.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/20/21 11:34 PM

Who else that fishes with Livescope can compare Josh’s success and data of giant catches while besting it? Crickets and more crickets! You’re the man Josh Jones! Merry Christmas y’all!
Posted By: angleiron

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/21/21 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Dobyns
Here's a bit on Josh, and I'll admit right off that I call him a good friend. I've seen him spend countless amounts of time with kids, fans, and fishermen wanting a tip or help setting up their electronics. I'll finish my breakfast and then wait for him to finish his because he's taking the time to talk with anyone that approaches and wants a few words. He's a heck of an angler with and without the electronics, but without them he's at least somewhat normal smile . He doesn't always catch fish either. Just because you can find them doesn't mean you'll catch them. I've seen him struggle horribly just like the rest of us. One day last May on Ivey was one of those days. We could find them with electronics but catching sucked. He boated one 3 pound fish and after hours of chasing them around he says "this isn't going to work, what are we going to do"? I said it's May and post spawn we're going to topwater them and I'm going to kick your [censored]!!! smile smile We caught them pretty well too. No giants but fish to 5 pounds and we had a blast. But, I got to see Josh make pinpoint casts and have to really fish for them. This day is the day I realized he's really a special angler. He has struggle days just like all of us but he keeps at it and keeps trying different structures, different baits and techniques, and if it's a bad day, he says I'll get them tomorrow. Josh is really just a great outdoorsman. He loves noodling big cats, chasing pheasants and deer, and is an archery nutcase. He has some amazing whitetails taken with a bow. He does charge an insane $1000 a day for guide trips but it's far more of a teaching lesson with electronics than anything else. Catching a few fish is a bonus, the knowledge you step off that boat with stays with you forever. Now If i could get him in a barber shop that would really be something smile smile THX to all for reading this long post and Merry Christmas to ALL!!!

Who’s got time for a haircut when you’re catching 15# fish! LOL
Posted By: Denny Crane

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/21/21 11:18 PM

He grows his hair and once a year donates it to locks of love for cancer patients. Truth.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Josh Jones Fishing - 12/22/21 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Denny Crane
He grows his hair and once a year donates it to locks of love for cancer patients. Truth.

Well, I'll be. Great cause
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum