Texas Fishing Forum

Jerkbait fishing

Posted By: TimFish4Life

Jerkbait fishing - 12/02/21 02:33 PM

So with the colder months coming up, I know jerkbaits become a great option. What are the best jerkbaits to use? I’ve mostly used Shad Rap and X-Rap, but I won’t say the results have been remarkable.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/02/21 02:41 PM

My experience has been....

When the fish are suspended on trees / rocks etc around 5-8 foot, I throw a Megabass 110. I know they're stupid expensive, but they have brought me some great fish. Another option is the Lucky Craft Pointer.

When the fish are suspended around deeper water points, brush piles, etc....then I use the smaller framed jerkbaits like the Lucky Craft 78SPDD. This bait allows me to get deep into the water column and mimic prey.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/02/21 02:57 PM

I find that the jerk bait is an awesome tool. I throw different brands but have good success with the XRap suspending models. I think water clarity is important. In stained water I choose a different approach. But if the water is cold and pretty clear. I’ll throw it a lot, fishing it slow. 3 to 5 sec pause between twitching. If they still won’t hit it I’ll slow even more. 15lb Invizx.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/02/21 03:09 PM

Flukes with belly weighted hooks.... hooked
Posted By: Crowbar

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/02/21 03:15 PM

I'm a Megabass Oneten junkie...+1s, +2s...I throw them all. Hooks WILL break on these...so having extras and split ring pliers is a good idea. Best tip I ever got relating to suspending baits...it is important for the bait to remain stable in the water column. Different temps/density of water can make the bait slowly float/sink. Colder/denser water is likely to make the bait rise. To counter this, wrap lead wire around the front hook to add just a bit of weight. This will take some dialing in to get it right, but in my case, I have found the effort to be worth it.
Posted By: goodman_fishing

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/02/21 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Crowbar
I'm a Megabass Oneten junkie...+1s, +2s...I throw them all. Hooks WILL break on these...so having extras and split ring pliers is a good idea. Best tip I ever got relating to suspending baits...it is important for the bait to remain stable in the water column. Different temps/density of water can make the bait slowly float/sink. Colder/denser water is likely to make the bait rise. To counter this, wrap lead wire around the front hook to add just a bit of weight. This will take some dialing in to get it right, but in my case, I have found the effort to be worth it.

what 110 hooks do you replace them with? The Megabass ones are crazy brittle but [censored] they're SHARP.
Posted By: Crowbar

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/02/21 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by goodman_fishing
Originally Posted by Crowbar

what 110 hooks do you replace them with? The Megabass ones are crazy brittle but [censored] they're SHARP.

I've always replaced with the original #6 Katsuage hooks -
Hooks

There's a bunch of info online about potentially more durable replacements but I just stick with the original for fear of goobering up the action of the bait. LOL And you're right, they are some STICKY sumbeeches!
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/02/21 08:14 PM

Not sure what you guys are doing on those MB110 to straighten / break hooks. I usually throw mine on a baitcaster w/ 10lb line, Medium action, 6'6" rod. It takes me a while to get them to the boat, but I have yet to break / bend a hook.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/02/21 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
Not sure what you guys are doing on those MB110 to straighten / break hooks. I usually throw mine on a baitcaster w/ 10lb line, Medium action, 6'6" rod. It takes me a while to get them to the boat, but I have yet to break / bend a hook.

Agreed… if your using anything heavier than 10 lb line your losing a ton of action.

Personally not a big fan of the 110 or any of the 3 hook jerk plugs. I have some in the boat, still go to my ole faithful that hopefully all of y’all have forgotten all about. eek
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/03/21 03:43 AM

Megabass Vision 110
Posted By: TimFish4Life

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/03/21 04:01 AM

That’s what I expected regarding the megabass vision…I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and buy a couple to try out. (Can’t afford to buy too many!)
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/03/21 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by TimFish4Life
That’s what I expected regarding the megabass vision…I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and buy a couple to try out. (Can’t afford to buy too many!)

There's something about the Vision. They're not the only jerkbait that works, but the Vision often seems to outpace others in water <50 degrees (for me anyway).

Don't need to buy a whole bunch. The GP Pro Blue 2 always works if the jerkbait is getting bit at all. Other colors do better in certain conditions, but the pro blue always works. After that, something non-transparent in white or chartreuse (like Table Rock) for murkier water or cloudy weather, then something chrome/shiney in a shad pattern for sunny windy weather.

Biggest factor is water clarity; I generally don't use jerkbaits in water with less than 4-5ish feet of visibility. It will still work there but you have to get the lure closer to them; they won't come to it like they will in clear water.

Also, get a 12-16ft telescoping lure retriever. Recovering two hung Visions will pay for the retriever.
Posted By: Captain Break-Off

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/03/21 08:19 PM

I throw the X-Rap suspending jerk bait in several different sizes with a pretty great success myself. The hooks a pretty darn sharp and the hook up ratio is awesome.
Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/04/21 11:12 PM

Just got home from an all day jerk bait smash fest.The 110 jr is my go to,LC 78 and MG are my favorite mainly due to the weight transfer systems.
Posted By: goodman_fishing

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/05/21 03:19 AM

I can't catch anything with a jerkbait lately. 58° water temp, I figured they'd be chewing it on my little lake.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/05/21 07:12 AM

Megabass Vision 110 and Megabass Vision 110jr

buy better buy a lure knocker with it because you dont wanna lose them at 25$ each lol
Posted By: Rey Basser

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/06/21 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by TimFish4Life
So with the colder months coming up, I know jerkbaits become a great option. What are the best jerkbaits to use? I’ve mostly used Shad Rap and X-Rap, but I won’t say the results have been remarkable.

Vision 110s are awesome, but it can be pretty upsetting to lose one. Berkley Stunna's are and great and run $10 less than the V110.
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 12/07/21 04:17 PM

I replace all of my hooks when I take the bait from the package however on jerks you better test them in a tank of water before going to the lake as they are very sensitive to any chg in weight
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 01/01/22 07:49 PM

Anyone else think the casting distance sucks on a vision 110? I have some stunnas on order to compare.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 01/01/22 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Anyone else think the casting distance sucks on a vision 110? I have some stunnas on order to compare.

Jerkbaits aren't the furthest casting baits but the 110s seem ok to me. It's all in the set up.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 01/01/22 08:06 PM

That's probably the first complaint I have ever heard about their castability. I use a bait cast combo and have no issues with distance. Rod, reeland like will matter to some degree. The 110 is 1/2oz and casts pretty good.
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 01/01/22 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

That's probably the first complaint I have ever heard about their castability. I use a bait cast combo and have no issues with distance. Rod, reeland like will matter to some degree. The 110 is 1/2oz and casts pretty good.

I need to take a look at the one I was throwing, make sure the transfer system isn’t jammed up. I was just comparing it to another brand of the same size I had cutoff before.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 01/02/22 12:25 AM

I am not claiming to be a jerkbait expert but I have done very well with this bait. Got two DD's and many 7-8's on this bait on Fork when the water was cold. I do change the hooks to Owner ST-35's.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: n_fish

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 01/02/22 01:37 AM

The Megabass jerk baits just get bit, however I’m gonna try the 6th Sense slow sinking jerkbaits that I have ordered. A buddy of mine has been catching some good fish on these.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Jerkbait fishing - 01/02/22 03:03 AM

I figure my winter fishing will be interesting as far as jerkbaits go. I'll be throwing Rogues and jointed Rebels that are 20 to 40 years old in colors you probably can't get. Can't wait to see their reaction.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum