Texas Fishing Forum

When does the winter transition start?

Posted By: LeonSulak

When does the winter transition start? - 11/27/21 05:18 PM

Is it a bait migration thing? Is there a usual water temp?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: When does the winter transition start? - 11/27/21 09:23 PM

We should be in the very beginning of the winter transition. The fall run has usually ended by now but you should still be able to find schools chasing shad for the next week or two. The ones that are actively chasing shad will be mainly on the east side of most bodies of water. Thats where the sun will heat the water the most.
Posted By: Hydrilla*Gorilla

Re: When does the winter transition start? - 11/28/21 01:30 AM

1 month ago we were killing the schooling bass, two weeks ago we were in 64 degree water temp catching them like it was spring time and yesterday i was graphing fish everywhere and couldn’t get them to bite anything. Water was 60 degrees and they weren’t biting on the bank, under docks and the schoolers were inactive. Good question and ill be following this thread.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: When does the winter transition start? - 11/28/21 01:24 PM

Another thing I can tell you that I do; especially on Fork, is to listen for them. When I fish for fall schoolers I'd pull up to a point or a cove and just shut off the big motor and just sit and listen for them breaking. I never used sonar to locate them. For those of you that have grown up squirrel hunting; this is basically the same thing, but just for largemouth bass. if they are breaking the surface chasing shad they are active. I throw a chrome blue 1/4 ounce Ratl-Trap at them once I find them. This works best if you let them break a couple of times and get a bearing on where they are headed. I just go to where I think they'll surface next and generally find them most of the time.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: When does the winter transition start? - 11/28/21 07:09 PM

The lakes have been fishing funny ever since Milliken came to Texas and destroyed all our fishing holes. roflmao

Just kidding.

The fish are still wonder who turned on the wind, rain, and 58 degree water right now. Slow down a little. Downsize the baits a little…you’ll still catch plenty.

Yesterday and today were both really good days of fishing. I was fishing 58-59 degree water and catching big fish in 1-2 FOW. I was using a finesse worm on a shaky head and a Ned rig.
Posted By: goodman_fishing

Re: When does the winter transition start? - 11/28/21 11:56 PM

I'm just glad to read everyone isn't slaying them right now. I've been disappointed the last few trips, 1-3 fish at best lately.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum