Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits

Posted By: davidsears

Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/25/21 04:54 AM

Chatterbait doing work at Ray Roberts again. Fished yesterday 11/23 and caught five bass all on my custom chatterbait. I threw two other baits, swimbait w/underspin and a spro flat sided squarebill and they only wanted the chatterbait. First three pics are the biggest fish at 3 lbs 10 ozs., then two others. Had another close to 3 lbs, but didn't take a pic. Fished again today for a few hours 11/24 with a lot of wind and caught five bass all small keepers on the chatterbait again. I hooked another fish on a spinnerbait and got it to the boat and it got off and I lost a really small one on the chatterbait. I was throwing the squarebill and a weightless senko in some protected coves out of the wind to no avail. Two days in a row on a chatterbait bite. Caught a 6 lbs 1 oz chatterbait fish a week or so ago.

Attached picture DSCN0066.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0067.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0068.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0070.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0071.JPG
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/25/21 05:44 AM

Good stuff man!! Love a chatterbait bite!!
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/25/21 09:27 AM

thumb
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/25/21 10:18 AM

clap
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/25/21 10:36 AM

thumb
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/25/21 12:25 PM

I just came back to this sport and have thrown a chatterbait quite a bit in the past year and I can't even get anything to pay attention to it. I have one and it is probably on the larger end of the scale; purple and black with a polished aluminum blade. I've been thinking about the smaller Zman version in white; seems like a lot of guys out there in the media world have good luck with that one.

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/25/21 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
I just came back to this sport and have thrown a chatterbait quite a bit in the past year and I can't even get anything to pay attention to it. I have one and it is probably on the larger end of the scale; purple and black with a polished aluminum blade. I've been thinking about the smaller Zman version in white; seems like a lot of guys out there in the media world have good luck with that one.

If you could, I'd like to see a pic of the purple and black one. What are you using as a trailer and what lake do you fish? The one I've been catching these fish on is custom made by Donald Harper who lives in Justin, Tx. and is a member of TFF. www.donkeybassin.com It is 1/2 oz, color is Junebug, which I asked him to create for me. I like showing the fish something different than what everybody else throws, so far it's been working and I'm catching them in cloudy and sunny conditions. The 6 pounder I caught using a fluke trailer in a contrasting color Mardi Gras that is light green with purple flakes, the past two days I was using a dark Junebug fluke.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/25/21 02:42 PM

Good day,
They were biting shad colored chatterbaits, crank baits and hard jerkbaits last Saturday. Most on the deeper end of lay down.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/25/21 02:48 PM

I give David all the credit for coming up with this color. It took many hours of work to get them right. Glad they are paying off.

Chatter Bait Parts:
[Linked Image]

Junebug Collection:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/26/21 12:42 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Mrppl2

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/26/21 12:59 PM

I’m having just the opposite results. Last 3 trips I’ve caught at least 5 on each trip. 11/22 had one 6 one 5 and three less than two. All were caught on white underspin.
Posted By: prosise

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/26/21 01:27 PM

slip of the tongue: From 4:30 to sunrise, its 10X better. Been gripping and ripping for over a month.. GO early, and prove me wrong. I don't think it will last long, prob 5 more degrees in water temp and it will wind down. Fish are fat.... Two lakes same pattern..

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/26/21 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mrppl2
I’m having just the opposite results. Last 3 trips I’ve caught at least 5 on each trip. 11/22 had one 6 one 5 and three less than two. All were caught on white underspin.

It's funny you mention that, because I had a trip last week that I could only catch them on an underspin as well, but unfortunately no 5 or 6 pounders.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/26/21 03:22 PM

thumb
Posted By: junk baits

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/26/21 04:52 PM

seems like only 5 bass in the lake a trip. only 20 bass in the entire lake. LOL

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/27/21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by junk baits
seems like only 5 bass in the lake a trip. only 20 bass in the entire lake. LOL

Well two weeks ago, I had a day I caught 8 bass and the next day caught 7 bass, so maybe there's at least 30 bass in the lake.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/27/21 03:37 PM

Glad to see the lake recovering from all the Covid pressure. Have heard a lot of good reports that they have been chewing pretty good. Looking forward to getting out there this winter when it gets super cold.
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/27/21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Barrett
Glad to see the lake recovering from all the Covid pressure. Have heard a lot of good reports that they have been chewing pretty good. Looking forward to getting out there this winter when it gets super cold.

Barrett, you know RR sucks in the Winter! stir
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/27/21 07:40 PM

I think we have different definitions of bass chewing

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/27/21 07:53 PM

Is there anybody out there that can show me how to post photos? I wanted to post a photo of the chatterbait that I'm not getting bit on. I used to use photobucket but when i try to log into that account I get error messages. I there any other way to do it?

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/27/21 10:31 PM

Is there anybody out there that can show me how to post photos? I wanted to post a photo of the chatterbait that I'm not getting bit on. I used to use photobucket but when i try to log into that account I get error messages. I there any other way to do it?

I take pics from a digital camera and then take out the SD card and install in my computer and pull it up from there, but if you are using a smart phone I'm not sure. If you pose your question on the photo thread, I'm sure someone could help you immediately.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/28/21 12:58 AM

https://postimages.org/

at the end you thumbnails for forum.

Posted By: meP2too

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/28/21 01:03 AM

I was not counting, pretty sure we had over 10 in 4.5 hours last Saturday

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/28/21 03:08 PM

Ok here is what I’m not getting bit on. This is probably a perch color but when outdoors it looks mostly purple and black though it has other colors in it.

Attached picture A5ECCD40-E828-47FB-AAA3-E05FF49741BD.jpeg

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/29/21 10:12 AM

Ok here is what I’m not getting bit on. This is probably a perch color but when outdoors it looks mostly purple and black though it has other colors in it.

That should get bit, especially as the water is cooling and a crawfish pattern takes place, maybe try a fluke trailer right now that's what I have been using, which has less action than the craw, or try it without the trailer for awhile, but the chatterbait itself looks fine. If you don't have any confidence in the color than make a change, because confidence in what you are using is real and makes all the difference in fishing. Good luck with it.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 11/29/21 12:50 PM

Love a chatterbait bite. My biggest complaint is how many fish I lose on them. Mainly fishing custom ones I bought on here maybe a decade ago. But I feel like I lose 30%-40% of the fish I hook.

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 12/02/21 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by patriot07
Love a chatterbait bite. My biggest complaint is how many fish I lose on them. Mainly fishing custom ones I bought on here maybe a decade ago. But I feel like I lose 30%-40% of the fish I hook.

I have not experienced this at all, are you losing those fish at the time of the bite/hookset or are they coming off as you're fighting them to the boat?
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 12/05/21 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07

Are the hooks sharp on those baits still?
Posted By: Rey Basser

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 12/06/21 08:11 PM

Caught a 5.7LB and a 4.1LB LMBs out there last Saturday on a dark color chatterbait . Fishing Ray Roberts can be hard, but rewarding.

Re: Ray Robert's bass chewing chatterbaits - 12/06/21 10:56 PM

I think after looking at some fishing videos on chatterbaits my problem might be that I am fishing it way to fast. I just started using the new low profile reels a couple of years ago and the slowest I have is probably 7:1. All my old school reels were probably 5.4:1 or in that range. I noticed throwing crankbaits right out of the gate that if I didn't force myself to slow down with these faster reels I'd literally have a blow out with my crank baits. I'd just over power them so much they'd come to the surface and turn belly up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum