Texas Fishing Forum

New age water dog!

Posted By: fivebites

New age water dog! - 11/12/21 07:58 PM

Found this guy in front of my house. Buzzards had gotten his tail. You guys ever seen a Texas Alligator Lizard?

Attached picture 20211109_151739.jpg
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: New age water dog! - 11/12/21 09:45 PM

That's one cool looking lizard...too bad the buzzards got him
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: New age water dog! - 11/12/21 10:47 PM

Put him on a C-rig and lets try him at the Bell!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: New age water dog! - 11/12/21 11:08 PM

Wow! That is the 1st time I have ever seen or heard about a Texas Alligator Lizard!
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: New age water dog! - 11/13/21 11:40 AM

Was he imported from Asia???... Seems they have a lot of critters they send our way to wreak havoc on our natural resources... Dan who_knows

Re: New age water dog! - 11/13/21 03:04 PM

I had to look it up. Evidently this one was a BABY! They get 2 feet long with their tail! We have a lot of nasty critters down here. Scorpions, tarantulas the size of your hand, 8"-10" nasty centipedes black with red head and a yellow tail ( I hate those guys!), rattle snakes, coral snakes, copperheads, water moccasins...and now a dang 2 foot long alligator lizard! LOL. What next???

"The Texas alligator lizard is a medium-sized lizard, attaining a maximum total length (including tail) of around 24 to 25 in (61 to 64 cm). It is the largest lizard species in Texas, and one of the largest alligator lizards in the world. Often found on rocky hillsides, where it hides among the stones or in limestone crevices."
Posted By: T Bird

Re: New age water dog! - 11/13/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by fivebites
I had to look it up. Evidently this one was a BABY! They get 2 feet long with their tail! We have a lot of nasty critters down here. Scorpions, tarantulas the size of your hand, 8"-10" nasty centipedes black with red head and a yellow tail ( I hate those guys!), rattle snakes, coral snakes, copperheads, water moccasins...and now a dang 2 foot long alligator lizard! LOL. What next???

"The Texas alligator lizard is a medium-sized lizard, attaining a maximum total length (including tail) of around 24 to 25 in (61 to 64 cm). It is the largest lizard species in Texas, and one of the largest alligator lizards in the world. Often found on rocky hillsides, where it hides among the stones or in limestone crevices."

Dude, you live in Austin, TX. Ain't suppose to be all them critters hanging out in your hood. frkazoid
Posted By: markson

Re: New age water dog! - 11/13/21 07:17 PM

I have had every single one of these critters and many more show up at my doorstep or in my house over the last 8 years in Austin. Just yesterday a lizard that looked very much like this one jumped onto my thigh from my truck door while I was driving down a winding country road and had me swerving like a drunk at first trying to get him off of me because I did not know what was crawling on me . Ended up knocking it into the door storage and pulled over to get him out, but he jumped back into the truck from the open door and hid up under the dash. Later it ended up on the passenger door sill just waiting for me to open the window and let it out. Nothing like living in the ATX Zoo (people and critters)!!!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: New age water dog! - 11/13/21 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by markson

I have had every single one of these critters and many more show up at my doorstep or in my house over the last 8 years in Austin. Just yesterday a lizard that looked very much like this one jumped onto my thigh from my truck door while I was driving down a winding country road and had me swerving like a drunk at first trying to get him off of me because I did not know what was crawling on me . Ended up knocking it into the door storage and pulled over to get him out, but he jumped back into the truck from the open door and hid up under the dash. Later it ended up on the passenger door sill just waiting for me to open the window and let it out. Nothing like living in the ATX Zoo (people and critters)!!!

That sounds like something that would happen to me!
roflmao

Re: New age water dog! - 11/13/21 09:47 PM

[/quote]

Markson, I would have spit in my britches!

I hate those dang centipedes worse than any of em. They are mean and dang hard to kill! And we have those dang tarantula hawk wasps that are dang near 3" long. I saw one dragging a tarantula across the rocks in back of my house about 20 yards a couple of months ago!

Re: New age water dog! - 11/13/21 11:33 PM

For our ATX nightmares smile BTW I did save the Tarantula cause I think they are cool and do not deserve to die being eaten alive from the inside by Wasp babies and I let the Rattlesnake halfway enjoy his last meal

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Les Ems

Re: New age water dog! - 11/14/21 11:04 AM

Had them out in Dripping Springs area also.
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: New age water dog! - 11/14/21 12:36 PM

Is that rattlesnake eating a cat?

Re: New age water dog! - 11/14/21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hook'em79
Is that rattlesnake eating a cat?

No - it is eating a Rock Squirrel
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: New age water dog! - 11/15/21 02:13 AM

3/0 wide gap will work just fine
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum