Texas Fishing Forum

Wind forecasts

Posted By: Len B 1

Wind forecasts - 11/10/21 07:50 PM

Back awhile ago somebody posted about a weather app that has wind speeds that the aviation industry uses for more precise predictions. Does anybody know which one that is? These forecasters on the tv stations can’t seem to get it right, 4 different channels and 4 different forecasts. The 2 weather apps weatherbug and accuweather are the closest so far saying the same thing. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: 20lberorbust

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/10/21 07:52 PM

I have had pretty good luck with the "windy" app.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/10/21 09:52 PM

Wind Alert seems to be pretty good.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/10/21 10:00 PM

I’ve been using Windfinder and I like it but I’m going to have to check out these other 2 that have been suggested
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/10/21 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by RedRaider3933
Wind Alert seems to be pretty good.

Wind Alert is the best I have found. Very accurate.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/10/21 11:02 PM

Whats the cost if any for Wind Alert?
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/11/21 12:14 AM

Free app and at windalert.com
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/11/21 03:59 AM

www.hopalong.tff
Posted By: Jerry Brown

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/11/21 10:50 AM

Usairnet.com
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/11/21 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 20lberorbust
I have had pretty good luck with the "windy" app.

This is the best and from what I have seen over the last 2 years most accurate for just about everything. You can select even the most remote towns and pull up meteograms and they just recently added FBO/Airport forecast which generally are far better than what is reported through the local and most common outlets.

I use the app and the webpage. Both give you the ability to select different computer models to see what variances exists in the forecast.
Posted By: Len B 1

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/12/21 02:16 PM

Hey, thanks everybody. I got the windy app and seems pretty good, a few have to pay, couldn’t find the usairnet.com
Seems like windy has the wind for Sunday tolerable til later in the day hopefully holds true to get across Texoma in the morning and get back before it gets bumpy out there. I hate rough water.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/12/21 03:14 PM

Just checked out windalert.com and it is pretty cool with multiple locations and lakes in the area.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/12/21 03:34 PM

Dark Sky gives the hour, average speed and gust speed.

works for me
Posted By: popcork

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/12/21 03:39 PM

Fishweather for me
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/12/21 03:49 PM

Zoom in https://earth.nullschool.net/
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/12/21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow

roflmao

https://www.windy.com/?33.658,-96.422,8
Posted By: prosise

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/12/21 05:48 PM

This is a link to the wind in DFW. . It gives days wind, with gust forcast. Scroll down and you get a view of the week ahead.. Works well.

Wind Alert DFW Link

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/12/21 06:22 PM

Windfinder is what we use
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/12/21 08:31 PM

Yep, wind alert is the way to go. Look at their forecast graphs. Shows sustained and gusts by hour. Very accurate.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/13/21 11:32 AM

Weather Bug is the free weather app we use and it’s been pretty good at “predicting” weather including hourly wind speeds.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/15/21 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Dark Sky gives the hour, average speed and gust speed.

works for me

I think it only works now with the I phone. I don't it works with the android.
Posted By: redhornet

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/15/21 07:50 PM

This may be a little off topic but is was in a class a couple of years ago being taught by the head meteorologist from Shreveport I asked him about the weather forecasts specifically for sam rayburn and Toledo Bend reservoirs and he gave me the following answer: We were made aware of the inaccuracies of our forecasts by one of our meteorologists who is an avid angler. The meteorologist did research and found that the lakes act as giant wind tunnels and even make there own weather with differences in water and air temperature. Some times the wind is 20-25 above forecasts due to this. The recreational forecast for that area is supposed to be the forecast for the lake. I asked our local weatherman on Channel 9 Brad Losack to ask for a spot weather forecast for the 147 bridge and put that on the broadcast or on their website but he isn't interested, doesn't seem to get the life or death nature of a missed forecast on the lake. For those not aware the NWS has the ability to do spot weather forecasts it only takes a few minutes and they are very accurate. What we are getting is a general forecast for an entire area in which winds vary greatly in intensity and direction.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/15/21 09:38 PM

Windfinder app
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/15/21 10:58 PM

Windy app is good. I had been using Windfinder but like Windy better.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Wind forecasts - 11/15/21 11:33 PM

Down in Mexico I have used the Fishweather app cause I no comprende espanio and it's fairly close. As red hornet stated lakes can magnify the wind speed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum