Texas Fishing Forum

Belton, Whitney and Stillhouse Questions

Posted By: MJS34

Belton, Whitney and Stillhouse Questions - 11/09/21 01:58 AM

Been studying Navionics and Google Earth on these lakes and got a few questions? Do any of them have standing timber that you have to watch out for while running? Is there a preferred ramp to use at each lake? Belton has smallmouth do the others and is one better than the other for winter fishing?

Making plans for a trip and gathering some info.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Belton, Whitney and Stillhouse Questions - 11/09/21 03:46 AM

All 3 smallmouth but whitney the smallmouth are few and far between.. In the upper parts of Whitney there re some trees. On Belton run the lake and you are good.. I have only been on Stillhouse once and it was nice and caught of couple of smallies.

I like Whitney, Belton then Stillhouse. The only reason I like Whitney better is because it is closer to my house ad I know it better...
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Belton, Whitney and Stillhouse Questions - 11/09/21 11:51 AM

Stillhouse has a bunch of wood in it.
Posted By: GMTK

Re: Belton, Whitney and Stillhouse Questions - 11/09/21 12:11 PM

There is some timber up on the Ft. Hood side of Belton and some in Stillhouse around the island and in the back of some coves - but NOTHING like Fork or east Texas lakes. No timber that should concern you when running.

Re: Belton, Whitney and Stillhouse Questions - 11/10/21 01:45 AM

Thanks for the info. Sounds good we normally go to Welsh, Martins Creek and Brandy Branch, Bob Sandlin NE corner of the state area over the holidays but thinking of exploring something different this year. Belton looks like it sets up alot like our Lake Tenkiller which is a good winter lake. We will have five days to fish so we normally hit three or four lakes.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Belton, Whitney and Stillhouse Questions - 11/11/21 05:27 PM

You are close to Texoma. It has good smallmouth.

Re: Belton, Whitney and Stillhouse Questions - 11/12/21 01:45 AM

Yea I want to do Texoma sometime. Smallmouth aren't important to this trip just a added bonus. When we started this 4 or 5 years ago it was to get away for a week and play on the power plant lakes in the grass. But they keep shutting down the plants and last year it was almost like fishing the cold water up here and it has lost some of its luster so to speak. So this year looking to go farther south and explore. Was thinking Falcon or Amstead but they are way down and the border mess make them sound not very fun or friendly. Then I found these lakes that make me think of a local lake around here that fishes good in the winter. There is no telling were we will end up. Only sure thing is it will be in Texas and on the water looking for bass unless a blizzard comes in. LOL
Posted By: 361V

Re: Belton, Whitney and Stillhouse Questions - 11/12/21 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MJS34
Thanks for the info. Sounds good we normally go to Welsh, Martins Creek and Brandy Branch,.
While any lake can be hit or miss at any given time be prepared for the choices of Belton, Stillhouse and Whitney to possibly be very stingy with their bass as compared to these power plant lakes(when generating) during winter time. You will undoubtedly find these way less crowded than the power plant lakes! Good luck and post your results!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum