Texas Fishing Forum

Falcon and Power Poles

Posted By: GABassCat

Falcon and Power Poles - 11/02/21 01:19 AM

Most all videos I have watched of Falcon show the wind howling. I have a Bass Cat Margay and had Power Poles put on so I could utilize them in heavy wind.

I want to visit Falcon in February. Are there lot of places near the shoreline when I can use my 8' Power Poles without having the boat get blown away?

Thanks guys.
Posted By: mhall1986

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/02/21 03:21 AM

I would think everywhere near the shoreline less than 8' you could use your power poles so the boat doesn't blow away.

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/02/21 09:37 AM

Steep sloping shorelines would preclude that now, yes?

Never been to Falcon. That's why I am asking.

And in February in 6' of water the fishing should be red hot, yes?

Looking for general intel.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/02/21 11:50 AM

Plenty of places. Running the lake in high winds though can get dangerous. Maybe not as bad with such low water level. Haven't been lower than 25 foot
Posted By: 361V

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/02/21 11:51 AM

If you are at Falcon in February during a long warming trend Power Poles can come in handy and expect really good “spring time” fishing. During a front? Not so much! Power Poles work on Falcon like any lake. Years ago I remember being in a friends boat and having the poles down anchored on a windy rocky hump(south wind) and catching fish with waves lapping over the transom. Fishing in February is 100% dependent on the weather patterns down south. I don’t have a crystal ball(and way too early to predict the weather patterns) but don’t go during a big cold front! If you are like most you have to go when you have the time scheduled off regardless of what Mother Nature decides to do to the weather. Always a good plan when going to Falcon if you are not up to date on fishing conditions: stop by Falcon Lake Tackle in Zapata and ask. They have a great tackle selection and the owner James is great about sharing up to date Falcon fishing reports. http://www.tackleandrods.com/
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/02/21 07:42 PM

Weather is everyting down there in February. Pay extra attention to the wind forecast especially if you are in a smaller boat. Even though its low a big wind will get the lake rolling. You do not want to get caught in the back of the Salanias and have to run back to the state park in 30 mph north winds. Oh, and yes, power poles will be a big benefit that time of the year.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/02/21 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by RedRaider3933
Weather is everyting down there in February. Pay extra attention to the wind forecast especially if you are in a smaller boat. Even though its low a big wind will get the lake rolling. You do not want to get caught in the back of the Salanias and have to run back to the state park in 30 mph north winds. Oh, and yes, power poles will be a big benefit that time of the year.

As low as Falcon is right now the only way you're launching at the state park is off the bank with a 4x4.
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/02/21 10:43 PM

I have used my Spot-Loc more on Falcon than PP, even in Feb. However I do use PP every time I launch at State Park off that muddy/rocky shoreline.

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/03/21 04:41 PM

Thanks so much for this information.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/03/21 05:59 PM

I would go to this website-https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@11&key=m%60ubDvyv%7CQ- and look at the current lake level to see how much water is fishable at the depth you are needing. Then I would decide if there is enough water for you to fish the way you like to fish. I would also call James at Falcon Lake Tackle to get his input before going.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/04/21 12:56 PM

There are ALWAYS shallow fish on Falcon.. Freezing cold or smokin' hot..

Lots of folks like to pole down while working a bed fish.. But our water clarity is usually just outside what you need to see a fish more than two feet deep.. Every year is different of course.. But there is nothing wrong with setting up on a spot and thoroughly fishing it whether you use poles or spotlock..

Poles are damn handy to have.. I am sure you will find use for them here as well.. No need to over think it, as Falcon is pretty basic fishing..

We'll surely be fishing shallow in February and as mentioned earlier, weather is the biggest factor.. These fish hate cold..

If you can come whenever you want, look for a spell of warming weather. If like most of us you're stuck with fishing the time you have off, We'll hope you get lucky and hit a warm stretch..

But I hear we have global warming kicking in so it'll probably never get below 85 this February..

We look forward to seeing you..
Posted By: Alan

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/04/21 01:26 PM

James is my hero. I faithfully read his fishing editorials. Keep on keeping on James.
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/04/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Alan
James is my hero. I faithfully read his fishing editorials. Keep on keeping on James.

http://www.tackleandrods.com/lake/flash.htm

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/06/21 08:56 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am definitely giving it a try.

And it's a long haul from Georgia !
Posted By: Matt Houston

Re: Falcon and Power Poles - 11/08/21 04:37 PM

It will be worth it. And one more vote for getting ahold of James for the best information, as well as a great place to pick up any tackle you need. He carries a lot of things you cant find anywhere except online. Mex licenses also.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum