Texas Fishing Forum

Amistad - 3 day trip

Posted By: Time4Bourbon

Amistad - 3 day trip - 10/25/21 07:13 PM

Weekend trip on the big water with the kayaks - found a nice place near Cow Creek to set up camp that made the wind a non-issue. Fish were easy enough to find (minus Sunday) as they're starting their fall transition.....but anything over 2 - 3 pounds seems like a mystery right now. Most we caught were in 5 - 8', and usually on windblown secondary points. A few on main lake points when the wind was gusting hard Saturday. Mostly smallmouth over largemouth (I still find this super odd...). Square bills and then pretty much whatever you wanted under 7" on a t-rig. Red is getting bit very well. Some on umbrella rigs. The night bite with a black spinnerbait was decent....not great, but decent. Still nothing big at night though.

I still feel that I'm missing something... Granted, being in a kayak has its limits - and we're not using electronics. Talked to several folks in big boats that were just as stumped as we were. Not hard to have 20 - 30+ fish days so long as you do not mind a dink fest. Any others seeing the same? Any luck finding the bigger models?
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Amistad - 3 day trip - 10/26/21 11:33 AM

Take a look at any tournament results and it will give a good indication of how bad the lake is fishing.
Fifteen pounds will win most any 5 fish tournament and 7 will most likely get you a check. LOTS of zeros
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum