Texas Fishing Forum

Does this need to be repaired?

Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Does this need to be repaired? - 10/15/21 11:07 PM

I found some damage to my prop when I got off the water today. Is this something that needs to be repaired, or is it not a big deal? I did not notice any vibration or performance issues and don’t even know what I hit to cause this.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/15/21 11:09 PM

Yes, prop will vibrate, even though you can’t feel it, and damage prop shaft seals.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/15/21 11:11 PM

I’ve certainly ran worse. But sure it wouldn’t hurt to get it fixed.
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/15/21 11:13 PM

Thank y’all. That was what i figured, but was hoping I was wrong.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/15/21 11:14 PM

You could dual hammer it out and it’ll be fine. If you take it in to get fixed, there’s a 99.96% chance you’ll ding it up the very next time you take it out.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/15/21 11:43 PM

Straighten it out and plan on getting it reconditioned in the off season.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/16/21 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by rj74955
You could dual hammer it out and it’ll be fine. If you take it in to get fixed, there’s a 99.96% chance you’ll ding it up the very next time you take it out.

This plus a fine cut file on the burs .
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/16/21 03:08 AM

As was said prior, you will want it fixed, or you will pay for repairs to the lower unit later and have to get the prop fixed... you could always use this as an opportunity to buy a spare prop, then send this one out to get blueprinted, then you'll always have one ready to go while the other one gets repaired... just a thought... LOL...( I love spending other peoples money )
Posted By: angleiron

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/16/21 12:43 PM

Definitely needs fixed. Running it will just make it worse. I'd sent to one of the prop shops like Steve's.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/16/21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jonah's View
As was said prior, you will want it fixed, or you will pay for repairs to the lower unit later and have to get the prop fixed... you could always use this as an opportunity to buy a spare prop, then send this one out to get blueprinted, then you'll always have one ready to go while the other one gets repaired... just a thought... LOL...( I love spending other peoples money )

Buying props right now isnt the easiest task. And they are a bit expensive lately
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/16/21 02:05 PM

Yes fix it. No mention as to size but Hop has one for sale that is priced right.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/16/21 03:28 PM

I've for sure ran worse as well and it never caused any issues to the motor.

Fix it when you can but I wouldn't sweat about it
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/18/21 02:48 AM

Send it until you can afford or find a spare one. Then have it fixed up, that is nothing compared to props I have ran and ones many others have ran.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/18/21 11:26 AM

“Very minor”
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/18/21 01:41 PM

Mine looked a little less than that a couple of years ago and the prop shaft turned out to be bent. It was by luck I was at the boat dealer getting some other service done and I asked them what they thought. They checked it out and said if I had not caught this, I would have damaged my whole lower unit. So If you dont get it fixed now at least make sure the prop shaft is not bent.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/18/21 02:13 PM

Its fine, no issue running with it. But def could be a loss of performance.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/18/21 02:19 PM

Mine looks way worse. No big deal
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/18/21 03:34 PM

Might run it and be fine. Might damage your lower unit. Never know. I'd say you're at fairly low risk of having issues, but those issues could be expensive to repair. If it was my boat, I'd get it fixed.
Posted By: Schroeder

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/18/21 11:53 PM

I need to get my prob reconditioned as well. Where is the best place to take it close around the metroplex or within a reasonable distance?
Posted By: Jonah's View

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/22/21 04:33 PM

Really ?... I literally just bought one today, on-line, for almost the same price I did over 10years ago... back then it was a New in Box Mercury Tempest, this time was a Fury, a little over $700...
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by Jonah's View

Buying props right now isnt the easiest task. And they are a bit expensive lately
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/22/21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Schroeder
I need to get my prob reconditioned as well. Where is the best place to take it close around the metroplex or within a reasonable distance?

Closest is B&B Props in NRH. Used them several times and no issues at all.
Posted By: rh47

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/23/21 03:11 PM

Will vibrate
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Does this need to be repaired? - 10/25/21 02:28 PM

If I took my prop in every time I had a ding like that, I would be broke!! While it's true you may not be getting the proper performance, it will be minimal and while it may not be perfect, it's not gonna tear up any seals. I like to use a % method when it comes to servicing props. In that condition, I am at probably at about 30-40%. If I go out the next trip and do the same thing to it, then that % moves to around 75%. Once I get to 100%, it's time to take it in.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum