Texas Fishing Forum

Scrounger baits

Posted By: Littledog

Scrounger baits - 10/08/21 02:54 AM

First, something I've really gotten on this year . . .
Everybody likes throwing top water and flukes at schooling fish this time of the year.
It usually pays off with a fish or two until the schooling stops and then things get tough.
If the schooling is whites or other stripes, you might not get any bass.

Lately I've been doing something that's new to me (the old pros on here have probably been doing this for years,)
I've been throwing a 3 1/2" blue shad castaic on a 1/4oz scrounger head.
I can cast it a mile which helps while fish are up but when they've gone down, that's when it really pays off.
Seems the larger bass tend to sit well below the schooling stuff and wait to pick off cripples that the stripe and small bass miss.
(think of the "old bull / young bull" joke)
Ripping the scrounger off the bottom and letting it fall will get the rod ripped out your hand.
Comes through grass pretty well also. The relatively light head gives in a nice speed fall.

Now my question;
I'm looking for a scrounger head for larger (5" and bigger) swim baits with a fairly tight, subtle wobble.
The heads I've tried so far give HUGE wobbles, almost rolling the bait 180 from side to side.
I dont want to buy every offering trying to find the right one.
What's your favorite head? Help appreciated.
Posted By: Gilbert M.

Re: Scrounger baits - 10/08/21 01:59 PM

Hog Farmer makes big ones, and I believe Jenko too. Look up Scottsboro tackle, they should have them also.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Scrounger baits - 10/08/21 02:18 PM

Jenko, and get you some of those Jerky Jake shads by Jenko and fish it just like you said jerking it up off the bottom.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Scrounger baits - 10/08/21 04:40 PM

Hog Farmer
Posted By: SwimbaitRanger

Re: Scrounger baits - 10/08/21 05:15 PM

Another vote for Hog farmer. The Kitana scroungers are nice but to me they just take longer to start up. Now the lighter weights may be good but I don’t like the 3/4 and 1 oz. Hog farmer all the way
Posted By: Littledog

Re: Scrounger baits - 10/08/21 10:31 PM

Thanks all. I’ll give Hog Farmer a try then Jenko if not satisfied.
I don’t like the heavier Kitana heads, way to much roll.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum