Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: free rig - 10/07/21 04:35 PM

Following
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: free rig - 10/07/21 04:56 PM

Doesn't do anything a t rig wont do
Posted By: SwimbaitRanger

Re: free rig - 10/07/21 05:14 PM

A free rig falls more vertically because of the ring in the weight. A Texas rig will glide further on a drag or hop because more of the line is inside the weight. The free rig has been my MVP this year since I first picked it up. Excels around vertical cover and pressured fish.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: free rig - 10/07/21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by SwimbaitRanger
A free rig falls more vertically because of the ring in the weight. A Texas rig will glide further on a drag or hop because more of the line is inside the weight. The free rig has been my MVP this year since I first picked it up. Excels around vertical cover and pressured fish.

Sure it does
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: free rig - 10/07/21 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Sure it does

That was pretty definitive. Where's the mic drop emoji?

Re: free rig - 10/07/21 10:50 PM

[quote=SwimbaitRanger]A free rig falls more vertically because of the ring in the weight. A Texas rig will glide further on a drag or hop because more of the line is inside the weight. The free rig has been my MVP this year since I first picked it up. Excels around vertical cover and pressured fish.

Sure it does[/quote
To your point it’s similar, I won’t deny that but the guy was standing directly over his tank jigging the two lures. I think it would have been a better test if he had made a cast into a pool and put some distance on it. Kind of like vertically fishing a drop shot vs casting a drop shot
Posted By: bassnman

Re: free rig - 10/07/21 11:46 PM

I agree the test was pretty worthless. A cast or a flip would have been more meaningful. I gotta think if the weights are the same weight and the baits are equal they are the same.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: free rig - 10/08/21 12:55 PM

I have seen one where you tie the wight on the end of the line and the bait is what is free to side up and down the line.

Re: free rig - 10/08/21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by harvey walker
I have seen one where you tie the wight on the end of the line and the bait is what is free to side up and down the line.

I could see that working but you’d probably have to buy hooks with a welded eye. I believe most are just rolled and the end of the wire can catch your knot every once in a while
Posted By: the skipper

Re: free rig - 10/08/21 07:35 PM

Would be hard to set the hook when a fish is 5ft from the weight. Plus I'm not sure it would cast worth a flip. Your weight would take off twice as far as your bait.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: free rig - 10/09/21 01:03 AM

[quote=SwimbaitRanger]A free rig falls more vertically because of the ring in the weight. A Texas rig will glide further on a drag or hop because more of the line is inside the weight. The free rig has been my MVP this year since I first picked it up. Excels around vertical cover and pressured fish.

Sure it does[/quote
To your point it’s similar, I won’t deny that but the guy was standing directly over his tank jigging the two lures. I think it would have been a better test if he had made a cast into a pool and put some distance on it. Kind of like vertically fishing a drop shot vs casting a drop shot

Never fished a free rig but the main difference in my mind is the texas rig sinker has a small hole the other sinker has a much larger opening for line to slide thru. Just saying and water tank was useless test.
May try it
Posted By: David Burton

Re: free rig - 10/09/21 01:37 AM

When I first started lure fishing as a kid, this was my Texas Rig - Family was bait fishing and I just leveraged the same weights we used for that...
Posted By: 361V

Re: free rig - 10/09/21 12:43 PM

Saw “Free Rig” and thought someone was giving away a boat! 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️. Seriously, hardly a “game changer”. Small differences to a normal T-rig and not as weedless.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: free rig - 10/10/21 12:36 AM

Have you tried the FREE RIG?

Yes I have (on a lake) and decided to just stick with the Tx. rig instead.
Posted By: Yankee_Bass

Re: free rig - 10/10/21 03:13 AM

Well, add a swivel and make it a Texalina rig! But seriously, the bell sinker would work really well for dragging hard bottom whereas a bullet is designed to come through grass.
Posted By: David Newton

Re: free rig - 10/11/21 02:54 AM

So across the pond, the big pond left of California, they absolutely do not use the Texas rig. It's all this free rig. Supposedly originated in Japan. They swear it is different than a Texas rig. First time someone showed me this rig I was like this is a t rig when you are out of worm weights because there is a pandemic and everyone is sold out so you had to slide on a dropshot weight.

There is a pool video on youtube as well as this tank test video. Not much difference In either video.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum