Texas Fishing Forum

Lithium Batteries

Posted By: Crick

Lithium Batteries - 10/06/21 03:09 PM

What is the best buy on and Lithium batterie and charger for Electronics.
Posted By: txsuperman

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/06/21 04:13 PM

check out Amped Outdoors. Best prices I've seen
Posted By: Walls

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/06/21 04:25 PM

You would have to define "best buy". I got a smoking deal on 3-60ah trolling batteries from Amped Outdoors a year and a half ago and they are awesome. BUT, the 125ah Ionic starter battery that I got a good deal on from "Drewtick" on BBC is a beast as well and comes with bluetooth and an app that tells me lots of information on the battery anytime I want to know it- most importantly the level of charge. I bought the 125ah first and was really torn on which trollers to buy....but the extra 10ah of the Amped batteries and the price ultimately made that decision for me. Some people would rather spend a bit more money and have the app, and I 100% understand that as well.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 12:39 PM

I just got back from the 2021 Crappie Expo and everyone I talked to from the Lithium Battery guys to the Boat Dealers and it was hands down, do not put a lithium battery on your starting motor.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
I just got back from the 2021 Crappie Expo and everyone I talked to from the Lithium Battery guys to the Boat Dealers and it was hands down, do not put a lithium battery on your starting motor.

Yet WRM is offering them on Nitro's, Triton's, and Rangers from the factory.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 01:22 PM

Must of talked to the wrong people at the booths. You can run lithium battery’s just fine as a cranking battery as long as the BMS is good in the battery. I’ve installed several on the cranking side with zero issues. I know 3 dealers at the show who would put lithium cranking batteries in any boat. Bass Pro wouldn’t be pushing them in his brand of boats if it wasn’t a true working battery

The only thing I don’t suggest is running a single 36v troller battery unless ur buying one 36v for a spare. That’s due to fact of it might go down and leave u without a troll system unlike the traditional 3 battery 12v set up where u can swap a wet cell in to get you by.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Exactly....the boat MFRs are doing but the motor MFRs are like nope, don't do it, you'll pay hmmm
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 01:27 PM

If using a battery purely for starting the boat engine, lead acid are perfectly fine for delivering a quick burst of high amperage (which discharges the battery maybe 2%) and then the alternator from the engine recharges the lead acid battery back to full charge quickly.

Not just small size and low weight, the advantages of lithium batteries include how deeply the battery can be discharged and the high number of cycles the battery can be recharged over it's lifespan.
Lithium batteries can be discharged as low as 80%, while lead acid don't like to be discharged deeper than 50%. Thus, lead acid batteries are perfectly fine dedicated to the starting motor because they don't get deeply discharged as long as the alternator recharges the battery, or you maintain the battery on a charger when the boat is moored.

Then, there's the issue of the alternator on the motor being designed to recharge lead acid batteries (not lithium batteries). Lithium battery chargers have built in over current and over voltage protection while charging (lithium batteries don't like over current charging when full, while lead acid batteries tolerate this just fine); thus charging from a standard alternator is best for regular lead acid batteries.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser

Exactly....the boat MFRs are doing but the motor MFRs are like nope, don't do it, you'll pay hmmm

Umm Mercury is fine with Lithium battery’s and so is Yamaha as long as it has a proper BMS system unlike a lot of the first lithium’s that didn’t causing tons of issues pushing them motor mfr to put out the notices
Posted By: Walls

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 01:42 PM

Well over 2 years, 200 motor hours on my Ionic 125ah starting battery. Also run two Carbon 12s, a Helix 12, Mega 360, lights, livewells, etc on it. (2014 Yamaha 250SHO). I do not think I have ever seen it below 70% on the app and have not had a single issue. cheers
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 03:48 PM

What about all the accessories that run off the cranking battery.
?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 04:15 PM

If I used a lithium battery as the cranking battery and also to run bilge/electonics/etc; I would make sure the lithium battery has a good battery management system (BMS) to prevent over current charging, and I would maintain charge it with a lithium battery charger (I would not just rely on the alternator to keep it charged). Alternators typically stop charging batteries at 13.9 volts. 12 Volt lithium batteries require to be charged to 14.5 volts to fully charge.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 04:21 PM

A few weeks ago Brunswick Marine (owner or Mercury Marine) bought ReLion. That ought to tell you something.
Posted By: WattoFish

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 06:10 PM

Just think about this....the known manufactures of lead (Intestate, Duracell, Optima, etc) have zero lithium offerings. Just like lobbyist and politicians...the long standing relationships with boat manufacturers run deep and none of those big manufacturers of lead batteries want to see battery life extended in years as that affects business for both parities.

The more competition will drive down cost, so even though early adopters pay more now it will eventually come down as the market (bass boat owners) demand the better product.

What may likely happen is the Ionics of the world will be offered millions and bought up by an Interstate. Then they just flip the marketing switch and re-wrap their branded NASCAR in Ionic logo's and they are off to the races.
Posted By: Bahala

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 06:19 PM

Speaking of Ionic batteries, they just upped their warranty from 8 to 11 years!

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 08:48 PM

Thanks for all the input, so what AH lithium battery do I need for Humminbird Helix Mega 8' and 12' only not cranking?
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/07/21 10:15 PM

Minimum 50ah
Posted By: Littledog

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/08/21 02:35 AM

I run a AGM for cranking, three 12v 60aHr lithiums for the Ghost and a 12v 60aHr lithium house battery for all electronics (Lowrance 16", 12",9" and Active Target)
I'm fishing lots of eel grass, hydrilla, etc. I VERY RARELY draw the trolling motor batteries down below 60%. The house battery gets to 50% a fair amount of the time.
Charging the TM batteries and the house battery on a 4 bank Power Pole charger. AGM has its own charger.
Triton 20TRX.

I really like having a house battery for all electronics. Keeps the electronics from seeing noise, cranking spikes, voltage drops, etc. that can happen if tied to other batteries.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/08/21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bahala

Not total replacement though. see below.

Period of Coverage:

First 30 days - Refund of original purchase price with return of battery
30 days to 5 Years - LithiumHub will repair battery free of charge. If repair is not possible battery replacement will be provided.
5 years to 8 years - LithiumHub will repair or replace battery with a service charge of $150 per battery.
8 years to 11 years - Replacement discount offer of 30% on a similar product valid for 30 days from notification.
Posted By: Bahala

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/08/21 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 6BOOMER
Originally Posted by Bahala

Not total replacement though. see below.

Period of Coverage:

First 30 days - Refund of original purchase price with return of battery
30 days to 5 Years - LithiumHub will repair battery free of charge. If repair is not possible battery replacement will be provided.
5 years to 8 years - LithiumHub will repair or replace battery with a service charge of $150 per battery.
8 years to 11 years - Replacement discount offer of 30% on a similar product valid for 30 days from notification.

Correct. And to further clarify, that warranty is for 30Ah and above batteries which we all mainly deal with on our boats. The smaller 9~20Ah batteries have a three year repair/total replacement warranty.

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/09/21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by WattoFish
Just think about this....the known manufactures of lead (Intestate, Duracell, Optima, etc) have zero lithium offerings. Just like lobbyist and politicians...the long standing relationships with boat manufacturers run deep and none of those big manufacturers of lead batteries want to see battery life extended in years as that affects business for both parities.

The more competition will drive down cost, so even though early adopters pay more now it will eventually come down as the market (bass boat owners) demand the better product.

What may likely happen is the Ionics of the world will be offered millions and bought up by an Interstate. Then they just flip the marketing switch and re-wrap their branded NASCAR in Ionic logo's and they are off to the races.

All lithium batteries come from China. Until their manufactured here or elsewhere the only competition is who's got the fanciest label and marketing.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/10/21 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by WattoFish

All lithium batteries come from China. Until their manufactured here or elsewhere the only competition is who's got the fanciest label and marketing.

Yes sir. That’s why I bought two of these 120 AH lithiums for $526 each, shipped, for my new Ranger. Cut out at least one middleman. The company that makes them in China has a solid rep.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L34BZWV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/17/21 02:55 PM

Thanks for all the responds, Still not sure about the 60ah or 100ah for a helix 8" and 12" units.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/17/21 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Crick
Thanks for all the responds, Still not sure about the 60ah or 100ah for a helix 8" and 12" units.

The specs show both of your graphs pulling 6 amps combined, if you keep them both on. Do you want a battery that last 10 hours before dead or one that last 16 1/2 hours before dead.

Re: Lithium Batteries - 10/18/21 11:32 PM

At my age 10hrs would suit me just find.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum