Texas Fishing Forum

Heard a dirty rumor

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Heard a dirty rumor - 09/29/21 08:52 PM

Has the grass been sprayed at Welsh? All over the lake? Had a buddy tell me that a friend of his told him the entire lake got sprayed. That true?
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/29/21 09:01 PM

Don’t know about Welsh but saw a spray boat chuggin’ toward behind the bridge on Athens last Friday. frown
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/29/21 09:13 PM

Welshole?
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/29/21 09:56 PM

Well they're shutting down the PP so let's spray the freaking grass too! 😠
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/29/21 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
Has the grass been sprayed at Welsh? All over the lake? Had a buddy tell me that a friend of his told him the entire lake got sprayed. That true?

Did he see them spray the grass or is he just guessing? Ask him if he actually saw them spraying the grass, then get back with us.
Posted By: elmoshorts

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/29/21 11:15 PM

Not sure if it was sprayed or not but I did also hear the grass was gone(at least not as much grass as there once was). I have not confirmed for myself.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 12:52 AM

I was there recently [9-22] and it's definitely not matted like it was. It's still there but just not on the surface like we are used to seeing
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 01:35 AM

Did the level come up (i.e. did they start pumping from pines) again?

If so, wouldn't that impact the matting on the surface for a time?
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 01:54 AM

Lake was noticeably low
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 02:25 AM

They can spray it and it will come back, needs to be knocked back a little every once in a while
Posted By: buda13

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 10:38 AM

The only lake Ive been to that made me say there’s to much grass… and I LOVE fishing grass. Hopefully if they are spraying they have someone doing it that will knock it back but won’t wipe it out completely.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
The only lake Ive been to that made me say there’s to much grass… and I LOVE fishing grass. Hopefully if they are spraying they have someone doing it that will knock it back but won’t wipe it out completely.

TOTALLY agree! I've said it for the last couple of years that Welsh was the one place I would love to see a little less grass. I wish they went with an acdurately estimated amount of carp vs spraying (if they actaully did that at all) but I don't think carp would live in those water temps.
Posted By: M. Massoletti

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 05:28 PM

From what I've heard is they sprayed the powerline right of ways leading to the power plant. Thought is the herbicide they used got into the lake and knocked the grass back. As far as pumping in water, I heard that since the plant is closing they are not gonna repair the pump that pumps the water from pines. It's an expensive repair for a plant that is closing.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 06:01 PM

bang bang bang

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by buda13

Welsh does NOT NEED ANY SPRAYING. When the water temps get over 100 degrees for quite a while the grass dies off on its own.

No need to ruin the lake by spraying like they have done to so many other lakes.

They were pumping water in two days ago.

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by M. Massoletti
From what I've heard is they sprayed the powerline right of ways leading to the power plant. Thought is the herbicide they used got into the lake and knocked the grass back. As far as pumping in water, I heard that since the plant is closing they are not gonna repair the pump that pumps the water from pines. It's an expensive repair for a plant that is closing.

The pump is working and has been for a while now.
Posted By: N2Bass

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 09/30/21 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by BriannShell

They are not shutting down the power plant.

But the plant will start an outage on 1 unit tomorrow until Nov 5th.

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 10/01/21 12:40 AM

I "heard" the fish weren't biting at Welsh, so it would be better to go somewhere else.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 10/01/21 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by N2Bass

The plant will shut down in 2028 in believe.
https://www.ktbs.com/news/coal-oper...2246af2-1fa4-11eb-9cec-0bfbe244bb2b.html

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 10/01/21 10:10 AM

Something happened out there in July because there were dead fish floating all over the place.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 10/01/21 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Something happened out there in July because there were dead fish floating all over the place.

Yep...its called the water at the dam was over 100 with the north end being closer to 108. A good friend was out there and sent me a video. Dead fish everywhere from end to end of the lake. Things have clearly calmed down now and I am sure in about another month or so all of the cold weather warm lake guys will be parking down to the county road to fish Welsh.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 10/01/21 01:08 PM

I love it when a post/statement starts with “from what I’ve heard”. Sit back because the conjecture is about to start flying. Kinda like after 32 years in the fire service whenever someone at work said “watch this” you better drop what you’re doing and watch that. Something funny(or catastrophic) was fixing to happen.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 10/01/21 02:09 PM

The two things that anglers hate the most, when things change and when things stay the same...
Posted By: N2Bass

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 10/01/21 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca

This is correct. As with all CCP (Coal Combustion Plants), they will produce less and less as they get closer to their shut down. What that means for Welsh anglers is, the water won't be as warm because the two units won't be online as much.

It makes me wonder how our state is going to adjust to the changes on how we get our electricity.

Just in the last few years - Oklaunion, Fairfield, Monticello, Hugo (dialed back significantly), Martin Lake (burning 100% PRB coal now), and Pirkey (2023 shut down), with more coming means our state will rely on natural gas and wind generation more and more. Hope we don't get another Feb 2021 again like we did this year or we are in big trouble.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 10/01/21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca

This is correct. As with all CCP (Coal Combustion Plants), they will produce less and less as they get closer to their shut down. What that means for Welsh anglers is, the water won't be as warm because the two units won't be online as much.

It makes me wonder how our state is going to adjust to the changes on how we get our electricity.

Just in the last few years - Oklaunion, Fairfield, Monticello, Hugo (dialed back significantly), Martin Lake (burning 100% PRB coal now), and Pirkey (2023 shut down), with more coming means our state will rely on natural gas and wind generation more and more. Hope we don't get another Feb 2021 again like we did this year or we are in big trouble.

Oh we're screwed. Just fact of the matter. The freeze proved that. Our electric grid thanks to ERCOT can't keep up without the CCP
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Heard a dirty rumor - 10/01/21 05:16 PM

PETA strikes again.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum