Texas Fishing Forum

NPFL new anglers

Posted By: Fishing on a string

NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 12:54 AM

Buddy Gross, Greg Hackney are joining the National Professional Fishing League next year along with 18 other new anglers. Sounds like the league is making a deep foot print in the Bass fishing world. Glad to see it getting the attention it deserves.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 01:06 AM

Sounds like they’ll be taking more money from other anglers.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 01:39 AM

They are going to grow because of their payout structure, their live broadcast over achieved this year, BASS was the same gold standard but didn't really improve their product while MLF may still have the deepest field their live needs improvement.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 02:12 AM

I’m sure they just want to have more opportunities to win some money. The league could be any league, it’s the money they are after.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 02:49 AM

So Hack left MLF to go back to BASS just to leave again?
I think this could be a trend with anglers just moving between the tours.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by SAKS

Maybe he is fishing both
Posted By: SC-001

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Fishing on a string
Buddy Gross, Greg Hackney are joining the National Professional Fishing League next year along with 18 other new anglers. Sounds like the league is making a deep foot print in the Bass fishing world. Glad to see it getting the attention it deserves.

Where are you seeing this news? I did a google search and came up with nothing. He could possibly fish both NPFL hasn't released their schedule left but I can't imagine there won't be some conflicts unless NPFL has more events toward and in the fall than the other tours.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brent S
Originally Posted by SAKS

Maybe he is fishing both

I bet he is. The NPFL is spread out enough. I doubt he leaves BASS ever again.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 08:33 AM

NPFL has stated in the past they would work around the Elites & Open schedules for their events.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 01:14 PM

Very interesting. Personally I like the NPFL schedule. Being a little more spread out throughout the year makes it more fair in my opinion. I wish BASS and MLF would do a few fall tournaments. Watching the BASS guys fish on lakes like Fork last fall at a time of the year when they really had to work to figure things out was very interesting to me.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 01:36 PM

be real interesting to know why Hackney left MLF to go back to BASS......
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap

Maybe MLF did not fit his style and he was going to be a middle pf the pack angler in MLF?

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Very interesting. Personally I like the NPFL schedule. Being a little more spread out throughout the year makes it more fair in my opinion. I wish BASS and MLF would do a few fall tournaments. Watching the BASS guys fish on lakes like Fork last fall at a time of the year when they really had to work to figure things out was very interesting to me.

Very much so, the reason they don't have more fall events its because many of the anglers want to deer/elk hunt and pressure the schedule to be done before then, it should not be this way and the season should end in october at the earliest, november would be better like last year.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 02:02 PM

I don't see anywhere on the bassin fan news sites saying Hackey, Gross and 18 other new guys are moving to NPFL, was this on a podcast or something?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

Maybe MLF did not fit his style and he was going to be a middle pf the pack angler in MLF?

Considering he won their championship. I don’t think that was the problem. Sounds more like promises not being kept and other shady dealings.
Posted By: rkd

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 02:51 PM

As a side note, pulling for J Biggs to do well in the last regular tournament of the year for the NPFL. A top 25 finish this week gets him into the championship tournament and he has solid experience on Grand. Go James!!
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 02:51 PM

They're just pulling a "John Cox"... Dan
Posted By: Fishing on a string

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 03:24 PM

It was released last night at the NPFL round table LIVE on their Facebook. There’s going to be 7 more names dropping tonight then 6 on Wednesday night. Go listen to their show on Facebook.

Or go here and watch https://thenationalprofessionalfishingleague.com/

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B

Considering he won their championship. I don’t think that was the problem. Sounds more like promises not being kept and other shady dealings.

I believe he won the championship for the cup events.

Actually, I think he competed in the cup events while he was a member of the BASS Elites

the BPT is a completely different deal
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 03:36 PM

It is good that they schedule around other major tournaments. It's a good business move for their live stream ad revenue, more eyes potentially to watch.

Any MLF guys moving to NPFL I wonder?

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 03:45 PM

The only feather missing in Hackney's hat is a Classic. He has a Forrest Wood Cup, FLW AOY & BASS AOY. Nobody has all 4.
Posted By: Neches

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 05:23 PM

They may be paying Hackney’s entree fees to get him to fish

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Neches
They may be paying Hackney’s entree fees to get him to fish

Or his sponsors wanted him there.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 05:30 PM

Hackney was well inside the AOY points for Redcrest both years he fished BPT. Had some good finishes too.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Hackney was well inside the AOY points for Redcrest both years he fished BPT. Had some good finishes too.

I think he honestly did not like fishing for numbers of smaller keepers.

And he has the luxury of being able to decide what he likes and wants because he isn't out there trying to pay the rent every month.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B

He did well in the Cup events but not the BPT and said it wasn't his style.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fishing on a string
It was released last night at the NPFL round table LIVE on their Facebook. There’s going to be 7 more names dropping tonight then 6 on Wednesday night. Go listen to their show on Facebook.

Or go here and watch https://thenationalprofessionalfishingleague.com/

They are taking a page out of the MLF way of doing things like when the Elite exodus happened and they had anglers announce they were joining the BPT in groups.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 07:25 PM

I will give them props on their trophy too, that is one nice looking piece of hardware.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 08:55 PM

I wish they would go to Palestine. thumb

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/28/21 08:57 PM

I wish they would go to Palestine. thumb

MLF is going there
Posted By: One fish Bill

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 12:43 AM

Money talks on NPFL, they let the Googan guy Terkela cheat on camera. Dq’d another guy for asking a spectator what someone else had in weight.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by One fish Bill
Money talks on NPFL, they let the Googan guy Terkela cheat on camera. Dq’d another guy for asking a spectator what someone else had in weight.

What, how did he cheat?
Posted By: One fish Bill

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 12:54 AM

Left the boat to land a fish.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 12:59 AM

Sounds par for that dude.
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by shotgunwilly

Sounds par for that dude.

I’m not a Googan guy but what are you talking about? Has he been accused or caught cheating before?

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 01:36 AM

He had a fish hung up in a bush and fell out trying to land it, landed it while out of the boat.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 01:42 AM

That guy is a douche, he would be one I would expect might cheat
Posted By: RichLindgren

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 01:52 AM

Very interesting, I am sure those guys are fishing both BASS & The League
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 04:06 AM

Swindle said on a podcast he was going to fish NPFL.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 02:03 PM

Only name they announced yesterday that's somewhat known was Brad Knight and that's just because he won the Forrest Wood cup once. I'm guessing NPFL is going to schedule around all Elite and TWPC and BPT which looking at the calendar can be done. First 4 weekends of January are open, 4th weekend of Feb, 1st and 3rd of Apr, 1st and 4th of May, 2nd and 4th of Jun, 1st, 2nd, 4th of Jul, 3rd of Aug and all of Sept other than BPT Mille lacs and all the rest of Oct/Nov. Some anglers will fish 2 tours I guess..
Posted By: GMTK

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 02:45 PM

Guys aren't voluntarily leaving the Elites to fish NPFL, many can fish both with no problem. There is a waiting list to join NPFL so there are clearly guys out there that have the entry fee money (or their sponsors do). And if you compare the NPFL to the Opens, it's a much larger payout, but also a larger entry fee for NPFL. Good for NPFL, if there is sponsor money there to pull it off, I hope they are successful. And by adding G man and Hack I will probably tune in.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 02:57 PM

Names so far:
Gary Atkins
Quentin Cappo
Darryl Davis
Todd Goad (spelling?)
Buddy Gross
Hackney
Justin Kimmel
Brad Knight
Logan Milsaps
Rick Mitchell
Brandon Mosley
Cody Parker
Adam Savage
Dustin Smith

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 03:12 PM

Are they cutting the bottom of this years field to add these 20 new anglers? This is kinda like the old Bassmaster Invitationals
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
Are they cutting the bottom of this years field to add these 20 new anglers? This is kinda like the old Bassmaster Invitationals

Won’t have to. I’d say 20+ will leave on their own. Pay to play got real expensive for the bottom half of that field.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 03:39 PM

It's a financial and physical beatdown to travel like they are doing, my hat is off to each one of the anglers.

Are their fields capped?

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 05:09 PM

It's a financial and physical beatdown to travel like they are doing, my hat is off to each one of the anglers.

Are their fields capped?

capped @ 125

Originally Posted by machoblanco61

Won’t have to. I’d say 20+ will leave on their own. Pay to play got real expensive for the bottom half of that field.

2 of them passed away from covid

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by GMTK
Guys aren't voluntarily leaving the Elites to fish NPFL, many can fish both with no problem. There is a waiting list to join NPFL so there are clearly guys out there that have the entry fee money (or their sponsors do). And if you compare the NPFL to the Opens, it's a much larger payout, but also a larger entry fee for NPFL. Good for NPFL, if there is sponsor money there to pull it off, I hope they are successful. And by adding G man and Hack I will probably tune in.

There has been discussion that up to 20 Elite spots will be cut. I have no clue who those bottom 20 are but Cappo might have been one.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 06:12 PM

Let me clarify - I have not read or heard about any Elites leaving Bass (on their own) to go fish NPFL. I assume (I have nothing to back it up) that some of the elites who get cut might try to fish NPFL; but it also sounds like NPFL is already going to have a full roster and there is a waiting list. NPFL had 108 guy this year on their roster at the beginning of the season.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
Originally Posted by GMTK

There has been discussion that up to 20 Elite spots will be cut. I have no clue who those bottom 20 are but Cappo might have been one.

He was. Actually they are cutting 23 Elites if all 12 opens invites accept, in anyone who qualified from the opens declines the cut will shrink by that number and Elite anglers that were on the cut bubble will retain their tour card.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/29/21 08:25 PM

Speaking of cuts, did the BPT cut any guys? Surprised no BPT anglers decided to fish the NPFL.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 09/30/21 01:22 AM

BPT hasn't announced but unless no one leaves/retires they would only be bumping one angler down to the pro circuit next year. They announced some more Elite anglers are fishing NPFL next year and one MLF pro circuit guy I've never heard of.
Posted By: LeonSulak

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/01/21 11:09 PM

It would be interesting if NPFL Teamed up with BASS next year to allow the 3 top anglers in AOY a spot on the Elites. They already have some current and former Elites for next year, as well as some that have qualified in the past.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/02/21 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by LeonSulak
It would be interesting if NPFL Teamed up with BASS next year to allow the 3 top anglers in AOY a spot on the Elites. They already have some current and former Elites for next year, as well as some that have qualified in the past.

Im sure TNPFL would love that but BASS has nothing to gain doing it, might as well invite the top 3 for TWPC and BPT as well, they are all competitors and one is not going to give the other any more credibility than they have to, no different that the BASS/FLW, Bassmasters/Redman days.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/03/21 12:01 AM

What’s the story with the AOY leader having his weight zeroed and him losing AOY
Posted By: MV

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/03/21 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
What’s the story with the AOY leader having his weight zeroed and him losing AOY

He broke down . 11 minute late lost 11 lb
Posted By: mudd

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/03/21 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by MV

Holy [censored]. That’s not the way to end ur season
Posted By: MV

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/03/21 01:22 AM

Heart breaking . Lost 10,000.00 and next years entries paid. Total 40 grand. The weigh master is good.

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/03/21 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by mudd
Originally Posted by MV

Wow!

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/03/21 05:20 PM

Holy carp, this is like when A-mart had the winning bag for that Elite event on the great lakes few years ago and broke down running to weigh in... but this was for AOY yikes

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/03/21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brent S
Originally Posted by MV

Wow!

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/03/21 06:24 PM

Last night on their website it said AOY story coming soon, now it just lists a page with the points total. Sup with that?

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/04/21 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by MV
Heart breaking . Lost 10,000.00 and next years entries paid. Total 40 grand. The weigh master is good.

Heartbreak for sure poor guy,
https://youtu.be/KGCTnEnGr5A?t=9840
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/04/21 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by MV

I bet he DONT want to thank his sponsors on this one! roflmao
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: NPFL new anglers - 10/04/21 02:28 AM

Weigh master was great on that. Sad deal for sure.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum