Texas Fishing Forum

(LAW) Anchored while fishing

Posted By: Hog hunter #1

(LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/18/21 05:05 PM

Is there a law that states a distance you have to be away from another vessel that is anchored while fishing?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/18/21 05:14 PM

No. If you are in a tournament then the tournament rules apply but no state law
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/18/21 05:17 PM

Most tournaments have rules about how close you can get to an anchored boat, but I am not aware of any actual boating laws when on a lake. There are laws about commercial and military boats.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/19/21 03:21 PM

start at page 22
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_l2000_0014.pdf

It is unlawful to
Operate at a rate of speed greater than is reasonable and prudent or greater than will permit the driver to stop the vessel within the assured clear distance ahead.
Operate in a manner to cause a hazardous wake or wash.
Operate in a circular course around another vessel, PWC, or individual engaged in water activities unless retrieving a downed or fallen water skier or a person engaged in similar activity.
Moor or attach to any buoy, beacon, light marker, stake, flag or other aid to safe operation, or to move, remove, displace, tamper with, damage or destroy the same.
Anchor in the traveled portion of a river or channel so as to prevent, impede, or interfere with safe passage of any other boat through the same area.
Operate within an area designated as bathing, fishing, swimming, or otherwise restricted.
Operate within a designated "no wake" area except at headway speed without creating a swell or wake.
Engage in water skiing, surfboarding or other similar activity between the hours of 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise. This shall not apply to vessels used in recognized water ski tournaments, competitions, exhibitions or trials, provided that the water area is adequately lighted.
Operate while intoxicated (loss of mental or physical faculties, or blood alcohol content of .08 or higher). 1st conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $2,000, confinement in jail not to exceed 180 days or both; 2nd conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $4,000, confinement not to exceed one year or both; 3rd conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $10,000, imprisonment for not more than 10 years or less than 2 years. **Failure to submit a specimen to determine blood alcohol content may result in suspension of your driver's license.
Operate any vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane or similar device, in a willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others and at a speed or in a manner to endanger or likely to endanger any person or property. (Conviction punishable by a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $2,000 or by confinement in jail not to exceed 180 days or both.)
Swim or dive within 200 yards of any sight-seeing or excursion boat except for maintenance purposes or unless within an enclosed area.
Operate within 50 feet of a "Diver Down Flag" or operate a boat within 150 feet of a "Diver Down Flag" except at headway/steerage speed.
Fail to comply with the USCG Inland Rules of the Road.
NEW: The engine cut-off switch must be worn by the operator on any vessel under 26 feet in length that is equipped with the ECOS, and the vessel is being operated at greater-than headway speed.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/boating/operation-of-your-boat
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/19/21 08:09 PM

You must be the dude looking for the guy anchored in the Bullet? I saw that on FB on a Lake Fork Page.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/19/21 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pintail711
You must be the dude looking for the guy anchored in the Bullet? I saw that on FB on a Lake Fork Page.

wanna share the back story? I quit fb a long time ago
Posted By: Hog hunter #1

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/19/21 09:04 PM

Pintail lol! Nope. Aint even fishing up there. Just a question, i thought there used to be a law about it. I got to looki g for it and couldn't find any info on it.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/19/21 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by Pintail711

wanna share the back story? I quit fb a long time ago

I couldn’t figure that out… some guy posted on there asking what this guy’s name was so he could “turn him in to the proper authorities”.. it was a younger guy in a new bullet, anchored fishing… I’ll see if I can find it.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/20/21 02:46 AM

Pretty much applies to every wakeboard boat made.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/20/21 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Greg W

flame
Posted By: Razorback

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/20/21 05:48 PM

But the law apparently doesn't apply to them. They are allowed to "enjoy the lake they way they choose to enjoy it." Just wait until I win the Powerball and get my retired Navy PT boat. We'll see how understanding wakeboarders are of my 12 foot wake as I cruise by them "enjoying the lake the way I choose to enjoy it."
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/20/21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Razorback

But the law apparently doesn't apply to them. They are allowed to "enjoy the lake they way they choose to enjoy it." Just wait until I win the Powerball and get my retired Navy PT boat. We'll see how understanding wakeboarders are of my 12 foot wake as I cruise by them "enjoying the lake the way I choose to enjoy it."

Hell yeah. I wanna go!
Posted By: JoeDouble

Re: (LAW) Anchored while fishing - 09/22/21 10:38 AM

Air boat would be a lot of fun
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum