Texas Fishing Forum

Question about the jika rig

Posted By: kirbydog

Question about the jika rig - 09/17/21 07:05 PM

Usually with a jika rig the weight is attached to the eye of the hook and moves in tandem with the hook/bait.

Lately I have seen articles on the jika rig with the weight moving freely up and down the line (more like a finesse carolina rig. Seems to
me the fish is likely to hold onto the bait longer when it doesn't feel any weight.

How do you guys rig it? With or without the weight attached to the hook.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Question about the jika rig - 09/17/21 08:46 PM

The other method is called a free rig. It's supposed to be a good finesse presentation similar to drop shot or Tokyo rig.

I haven't tried it but I heard it's great around docks or trees.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Question about the jika rig - 09/18/21 02:49 AM

There's also one called a Gika rig which is another slight variation, saw it here and thought it was misspelled
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Question about the jika rig - 09/18/21 03:46 PM

whatever hook you want (literally) 2 split rings and a drop shot weight is all you need. Like mentioned that other rig is the "free rig" and Clark Rheem posted about it a couple weeks ago. I dont like the idea of a drop shot weight going up and down the fishing line because I feel micronicks can be a real possibility with the rig. Id hate for micronicks to be in that last few feet of fishing line. seems ripe for a break off

I feel the free rig is nothing new. Same way to do the exact same thing as a c rig....jus with a dropshot weight so you can call it a finesse technique. Id rather just run a mojo style rig with a bobber stop at some point along the line.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Question about the jika rig - 09/18/21 04:57 PM

That is Free Rigging. i use it in place of a Texas rig. It goes through timber/brush piles much better. .
Posted By: SwimbaitRanger

Re: Question about the jika rig - 09/18/21 11:23 PM

A Zoom Z-Craw Jr. is the best bait I’ve found to fish on the free rig
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Question about the jika rig - 09/19/21 02:18 AM

I used to use it a lot on Rayburn but I got away from using it, but not sure way, it works. We used to call it a Jap rig.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Question about the jika rig - 10/01/21 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
I used to use it a lot on Rayburn but I got away from using it, but not sure way, it works. We used to call it a Jap rig.

Whoa whoa whoa there pal. This is 2021 and that sort of language doesnt fly! Jika sir....Jika

roflmao
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Question about the jika rig - 10/01/21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by bockscar
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Whoa whoa whoa there pal. This is 2021 and that sort of language doesnt fly! Jika sir....Jika

roflmao

Jika this
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum