Texas Fishing Forum

prop bait spinning itself

Posted By: basser38

prop bait spinning itself - 09/15/21 06:36 PM

How can I prevent topwater propbaits like a torpedo or plopper from spinning on itself, like the log rotation around? I only want the prop to spin, the prop spins freely, not sure if doing something there can help ensure it continues to. But would tying direct or adding a swivel or split ring help? What else, heavier line? Any ideas welcome. Thanks
Posted By: TheHaydonSmith

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/15/21 06:43 PM

Following
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/15/21 07:14 PM

If i’m understanding the question correct, you prob have debris in the gap between the prob and bait. i have had ploppers bind up with the smallest amount of slime in between there.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/15/21 07:15 PM

Bait Caster, or Spinning Reel? Are you working it too fast?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/15/21 07:46 PM

65lb test swivel.
Posted By: JeffLStevens

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/15/21 08:02 PM

I recently noticed this on Whopper Ploppers as well. Never had the issue with them before. Wondering if they changed something in manufacturing.
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/15/21 08:28 PM

I have to run a swivel in front of mine these days to prevent line tangling.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/16/21 12:05 AM

Any grass, dirt, leaf or any other debris can get between the prop and the body. If this happens the prop can't turn so the whole bait spins. This will destroy your line with twist if you've made a long cast. Check the prop often and as others have said, a high quality swivel will stop the line twist, but you still have to check the prop/blade.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/16/21 12:06 AM

Swivel
Posted By: basser38

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/16/21 02:13 AM

I actually tried a swivel this evening, it still spun around. I checked there is no debris, I kinda played with it spinning it with my finger and noticed sometimes it sticks a little due to friction, I think this is just the way its made but there might still be a way to lessen the rotation. Anyone else?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/16/21 03:17 AM

Hold it in your hand while driving and let the blade spin in the wind for a bit. It should wallow the prop hole a tad bigger.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/16/21 03:31 AM

Are you throwing it on a bait caster? What speed reel? What line choice? How did you spool the line?

If there is twist in the line, or memory, it affects the action. If you are using a spinning setup, I believe it could impart twist. If you have a high-speed reel and are burning it, it could impart twist.

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/226286-rigging-a-whopper-plopper/
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/16/21 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by bbassfishes
I have to run a swivel in front of mine these days to prevent line tangling.

thumb
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: prop bait spinning itself - 09/16/21 11:33 AM

Sometimes when you catch a fish it bends the wire or the blade on the back. A little tweaking and it will work till the next fish bends it again.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum