Texas Fishing Forum

Silencing a MK Fortrex??

Posted By: rkd

Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 06:15 PM

Not intending to start a MK vs MG vs Brand X debate. I have a 3 year old, 112lb Fortrex and am sticking with it. Prior TM was a MG Tour Edition so I am learning the new-to-me brackets/mounting system, prop, etc. My observation so far is the motor isn't exactly quiet. Shaft isn't bent and prop is just fine. Lots of creaking and grinding with normal usage. Are there any little tweaks I can apply to help lessen some of the noise? Specific spots to tighten and/or loosen? Soak the whole thing in PB Blaster? Thanks in advance for the ideas! (I'm ready for the "it'll be much quieter when you throw it in the trash and buy a ghost" comments)
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 06:20 PM

Earplugs are a dollar at Big Lots.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 06:21 PM

Is this in calm conditions or only when the front end is bouncing around in waves?
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 06:33 PM

Make sure your skeg is aligned.

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 06:54 PM

It's the fish that need the ear plugs! They're burying their heads in the grass when I get close. It is a little noisier in the wind/waves but can still grind when it's calm. Happens a lot when I am trying to make a quick "maneuver" around a stump, etc.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 07:08 PM

Spray the spring, mounts and contact points with rem oil. Then align skeg. It’s fairly easy but would recommend watching a video on it. Should be pretty quiet after that.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 07:22 PM

Mine is loud too, they are louder than MG. The shaft doesn't bend when you hit stuff though like an MG.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 08:55 PM

The first thing I would do with every new motor, is take it to Boras Marine and let him fine tune the motor and they know every trick in the book to make it run smoothly. Most of them that had a reverse back in the day shook the whole boat. They would go in and adjust the brushes to stop that noise also. The rubber cushions under each through the top cap bolt was another key to stop the grind.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 09:14 PM

It’s the plastic bushings in the pivot joints. They last about a year and you’ll know when they’re REALLY bad when they fall out on the deck.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 11:24 PM

You can loosen the two screws that hold the rear of the motor housing to the main housing. Put the motor on constant speed, about 70%. While the motor is turning, carefully rotate the end housing clockwise and counterclockwise until you find the sweet spot that produces the highest speed and least noise. Many, many owners are not even aware that this adjustment is even possible, much less try to do it.
Two things!

1….don’t get your hands in the way of the prop!!
2….don’t forget to retighten the end housing screws afterwards.

You can also balance the prop using a lawn mower blade balancing stand. File a little off of the heavier blade until the prop is perfectly balanced.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/15/21 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by rj74955
It’s the plastic bushings in the pivot joints. They last about a year and you’ll know when they’re REALLY bad when they fall out on the deck.

^this, there’s a video on youtube on how to replace them. Horrible design with junk plastic.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/16/21 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
Originally Posted by rj74955

^this, there’s a video on youtube on how to replace them. Horrible design with junk plastic.

Noisiest trolling motor mount in history. The day I finally pulled them off for good was a dang good day, I had 4 of them in my shop and gave them all to a guy I work with, I probably should have paid him to take them.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/16/21 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper
The first thing I would do with every new motor, is take it to Boras Marine and let him fine tune the motor and they know every trick in the book to make it run smoothly. Most of them that had a reverse back in the day shook the whole boat. They would go in and adjust the brushes to stop that noise also. The rubber cushions under each through the top cap bolt was another key to stop the grind.

Ha I’m surprised you ever have a troll motor that works after that.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/16/21 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
You can loosen the two screws that hold the rear of the motor housing to the main housing. Put the motor on constant speed, about 70%. While the motor is turning, carefully rotate the end housing clockwise and counterclockwise until you find the sweet spot that produces the highest speed and least noise. Many, many owners are not even aware that this adjustment is even possible, much less try to do it.
Two things!

1….don’t get your hands in the way of the prop!!
2….don’t forget to retighten the end housing screws afterwards.

You can also balance the prop using a lawn mower blade balancing stand. File a little off of the heavier blade until the prop is perfectly balanced.

This is good unfo. I also use grease on any points that pivot or slide against any other parts. I don't use spray oils, they wash off easy and usually leave things worse off than before you sprayed them. I will say, really check that the prop shaft isn't bent, they bend easier than people think. It only takes a small amount to make a bunch of racket

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/16/21 01:16 PM

Thanks to everyone. I saw a Youtube of the process Steez is recommending. I think I can pull that one off. I am not remotely close to being a mechanic so replacing the plastic bushings sounds challenging. I'll look up the videos for it. I'll assume I can take it to someplace like AllStar (closest TM repair shop to me) and they could replace the bushings????
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/16/21 02:26 PM

I'll third Steez's recommendations; that housing adjustment makes a big difference if the motor is out of tune to begin with. Super easy to do on your own.

The TH Marine Eliminator prop nut helps too. Noticeable reduction in vibration, minor sound reduction (honestly not much, but it does some).

Periodic re-greasing of joints like Skipper mentioned helps big time. WD40 is no good here, it and other spray-on lubes washes off on the very first trip. Marine grease worked into the joints with a brush or q-tip sort of applicator does well and lasts for several trips.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Silencing a MK Fortrex?? - 09/16/21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Outdoordude
I'll third Steez's recommendations; that housing adjustment makes a big difference if the motor is out of tune to begin with. Super easy to do on your own.

The TH Marine Eliminator prop nut helps too. Noticeable reduction in vibration, minor sound reduction (honestly not much, but it does some).

Periodic re-greasing of joints like Skipper mentioned helps big time. WD40 is no good here, it and other spray-on lubes washes off on the very first trip. Marine grease worked into the joints with a brush or q-tip sort of applicator does well and lasts for several trips.

spray white lithium grease works excellent and won't wash off like an oil will, comes with a tube to direct spray like wd40 does.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum