Texas Fishing Forum

Rock help

Posted By: Top Waters

Rock help - 09/13/21 05:55 PM

I have had a boat at Fork for nearly 20 years and had my share of hang ups on timber. I have recently started fishing lakes around DFW, Texoma in particular since i live north of McKinney, and have always heard of guys catching smallmouth and largemouth using shakey heads and Texas rigs around the rocky points and bluffs. I can't seem throw one without getting hung up between rocks and I know there has to be a better way. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong or not doing would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Rock help - 09/13/21 06:00 PM

Keep your weight less than 3/16 oz and you should hang up less. More sensitive rod / line / tungsten helps as well. It was one of those areas where spending a lot of extra money really improved my results.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Rock help - 09/13/21 06:11 PM

The angle of the presentation matters more with shakey head than other techniques. Long casts and working baits uphill are not good ways to fish it. It is this reason I rarely ever bank fish with the shakey head. Shorten the cast to get a better angle on the bait, you will crawl o er rocks better also. This being said, I lose 50 hooks a year on the dam. I poor my own and re tie often. Buy some edge headz from lvillelrat. They are affordable and work great.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Rock help - 09/14/21 12:44 AM

Round head z bend, Owner shakey head. They come in 3/16 oz and smaller.
Posted By: Top Waters

Re: Rock help - 09/17/21 04:03 PM

Thanks fellas.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Rock help - 09/18/21 02:55 AM

I fish a Ned rigs in rocky bodies of water. I am usually in no more than 20' of water. I get my crankbaits hung up inn the rocks as much as I do the Ned rigs. I just motor over to the other side of the rock and pull it out.
Posted By: BigVes

Re: Rock help - 09/20/21 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Slide_R
Keep your weight less than 3/16 oz and you should hang up less. More sensitive rod / line / tungsten helps as well. It was one of those areas where spending a lot of extra money really improved my results.

This👆🏼Fish the lightest weight you can get away with while still feeling the bottom. Keep your line tight as much as possible. A high quality sensitive rod and tungsten def helps a lot. Tight lines!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum