Texas Fishing Forum

Metro Area Lake Levels

Posted By: trackerman.

Metro Area Lake Levels - 09/08/21 05:48 PM

I have a really dumb question about why the Corp of Engineers/city of Ft. Worth water dept. or whoever is in charge, draws our local lakes down to pool level after our spring rains which usually brings them up way above pool level. It seems almost every year lately, we get a huge amount of rain and our area lakes go way above pool going into the summer. Then whoever is in charge decides to bring them back down to pool level knowing that with our hot summers and high usage, our local lakes get too low by August or Sept. Why do they not hold the lakes about 3 or 4 feet above pool and let evaporation/usage bring them back to normal by Aug/Sept., or worse, we get into a drought situation and all of a sudden water restrictions and hand wringing starts because our lakes are in dire straits because of excessive dry weather. I know I'm not a hydrologist, but common sense tells me let the lakes stay a bit high going into our Texas summers. If we get too much rain in the fall, draw the levels down to pool because water usage is lower. Now they are wanting to build more lakes in NE Texas, which takes land away from local landowners or public lands away from all of us, and costs more and more tax dollars, (don't get me wrong, I like fishing new lakes too), but sometimes I think the powers in charge have another agenda besides alleviating our water problems. I know this will probably open up a big can of worms, but was hoping someone here might shed some light on the subject. Thanks folks. JMHO.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Metro Area Lake Levels - 09/08/21 06:09 PM

Many of these lakes are for flood control. What happens if you leave the lakes above pool and you get a major flood? That could cause uncontrolled releases over emergency spillways that could do major harm downstream.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Metro Area Lake Levels - 09/08/21 06:20 PM

If whoever is in control of the Eagle Mountain release happens to read this… will you please turn the release rate up to about 250 CFS 3pm Saturday and leave it on till 3pm Sunday? cheers grin
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Metro Area Lake Levels - 09/08/21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
If whoever is in control of the Eagle Mountain release happens to read this… will you please turn the release rate up to about 250 CFS 3pm Saturday and leave it on till 3pm Sunday? cheers grin

We don't want a trickle, 500 CFS minimum.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Metro Area Lake Levels - 09/09/21 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Brent S
Originally Posted by buda13

We don't want a trickle, 500 CFS minimum.

2000 CFS cowboy
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Metro Area Lake Levels - 09/09/21 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Many of these lakes are for flood control. What happens if you leave the lakes above pool and you get a major flood? That could cause uncontrolled releases over emergency spillways that could do major harm downstream.
My first thought
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum