Texas Fishing Forum

Trinidad Lake CO.

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/07/21 04:27 PM

Planning a trip there next week and never been.

I know they have a huge variety of fish; SMB, LMB, Rainbow trout, Brown trout, Crappie, Walleye, Saguereye, Catfish, REAL perch, Hybrid Stripers and threadfin and gizzard shad.

Cannot find much else about fishing this lake. Hoping someone can offer tips or hints! I will be camping at the State Park and fishing from my kayak.

Would like to "target" SMB but will fish for any of the above...except the shad.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/07/21 04:35 PM

My only hint is to stay away from the State of Colorado. Rudest people on the planet inhabit that place.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/07/21 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
My only hint is to stay away from the State of Colorado. Rudest people on the planet inhabit that place.

That is shocking to me. I absolutely love the state and it's people from my experience. I will never leave God's Country, but if I did, it would only be to Colorado.

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/07/21 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by WALLS
Originally Posted by David Welcher

That is shocking to me. I absolutely love the state and it's people from my experience. I will never leave God's Country, but if I did, it would only be to Colorado.

This will be my first time to Colorado... been all around the world a few times literally but never stepped foot in Colorado. Crazy I some how have missed it.

Rude huh? The reviews of the park almost everyone mentioned how nice the staff is. I am sure they are lovely people there.

Hard to find fishing info on this spot though... really is just not much out there. Could be a sleeper spot! I see a 19inch smallmouth was caught last year, thats not too dang shabby!
Posted By: Walls

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/07/21 05:49 PM

To be honest, some of my best fishing "trips" have been when I go to a place I've never been. I fish the my strengths for the conditions and adjust as needed. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/07/21 10:59 PM

I'm from CO and I'm not rude. smile

Trinidad is a lake I've fished off and on for many years-I would target the smallies and largemouth. Very clear water but only 800 ac so your
kayak should be good there. Most of my smallies have come from the south side of the reservoir about mid lake. Fish any rock you find.

Good luck and I think you'll find the people here friendly and helpful.

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/07/21 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by kirbydog
I'm from CO and I'm not rude. smile

Trinidad is a lake I've fished off and on for many years-I would target the smallies and largemouth. Very clear water but only 800 ac so your
kayak should be good there. Most of my smallies have come from the south side of the reservoir about mid lake. Fish any rock you find.

Good luck and I think you'll find the people here friendly and helpful.

Sweet thank you! For sure plan to just go to the rocks. Thought the huge point near the ramp would be a good place to start. And the dam of course. Will look at that south side mid lake.

See yall...Colorado people are friendly.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/08/21 02:19 AM

banana best of luck on trip , never fished there. I have fished small lakes in s.w. colo. & streams. wish i was going also. one tip, clear water,light line ane be aware of your position in relation to the sun/ shadows they can be spooked easily.Dont know how long you are staying but usually by 2nd week of sept. high country is awesome, fall colors starting to show. Let us know how it was.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/08/21 04:20 AM

From what I experienced while in CO, they hate people from Texas and drive like psychos when they see your Texas license plate.

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/08/21 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
From what I experienced while in CO, they hate people from Texas and drive like psychos when they see your Texas license plate.

Well thats not fair. I am sure they are quite nice.

What you know about that lake though?

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/08/21 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lazy Ike
banana best of luck on trip , never fished there. I have fished small lakes in s.w. colo. & streams. wish i was going also. one tip, clear water,light line ane be aware of your position in relation to the sun/ shadows they can be spooked easily.Dont know how long you are staying but usually by 2nd week of sept. high country is awesome, fall colors starting to show. Let us know how it was.

Hey man if you want to go shoot me a DM. My camp site is all paid for and should be fine for two trucks. Even has power although I am tent camping. Going a week from tomorrow. Plan to come back Sunday.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/08/21 07:01 PM

Forgot to mention-the park grounds are very nice but be aware there are scorpions. Indoor showers are very nice and clean. Trinidad has some decent
restaurants-there is a mexican one on the highway just south of town (on 1-25, east side of the hwy). Wouldn't spend too much time on the dam-mostly stocker
trout. There is also a decent population of walleye that you'll catch fishing for the bass.
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/08/21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by kirbydog
Forgot to mention-the park grounds are very nice but be aware there are scorpions. Indoor showers are very nice and clean. Trinidad has some decent
restaurants-there is a mexican one on the highway just south of town (on 1-25, east side of the hwy). Wouldn't spend too much time on the dam-mostly stocker
trout. There is also a decent population of walleye that you'll catch fishing for the bass.

+1 on the Mexican restaurant. My son's favorite place to stop in CO.
Posted By: rickys

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/08/21 08:25 PM

I have to agree with a few of the comments on here. My last trip to Colorado this past year was not pleasant. The folks did not want people from Texas there. I talked with a friend from there, and he said it was mainly driven by the COVID deal. I will say I won't be back anytime soon. I'll go back to Idaho or Montana way before Colorado.
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/08/21 10:39 PM

I visited my daughter in March and July around Cañon City in my Texas plated car. I did not get any different treatment than previous years.
Posted By: rickys

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/08/21 10:45 PM

I will say the only bad treatment, last year, came from restaurants and tourist type places. You could just tell the people did not want you there, and in some cases told us they did not want us there. Only locals.
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/08/21 11:26 PM

I must be visiting a different Colorado then some of you. I have been going yearly for elk hunting, summer beat the Texas heat, and skiing for the last 20 years. I have never once been rude to or told I was not welcome. I have heard of that happening but never to anyone I know. The only thing that stood out this summer was that all the restaurants were short handed. Nobody can find help. Summer help is being priced out, only going to get worse.
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/10/21 06:27 PM

I've fished Trinidad lake many times, easy locate rocks for smallies. This time of year at sun up I'd throw a top water (chug bug), don't get a blow up grab a 3-4" brown/pumpkin tube hit the bank and walk it out. After 12:00 go deep with a drop shot and keep it short 6" or less.
If you want to have some fun go out at night, 3/4 oz #4 Black Colorado blade and a pink trailer slow rolled deep..that's how you get the big ones.
I don't know what the moon phase will be while you're there, if it's close to a full moon hit the dam. Chrome blue or black back husky jerk for Walleye & Wiper.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/10/21 07:20 PM

Would you say that trolling a husky jerk down 8-12 feet would be a good technique for those Walleye and Wiper?
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/10/21 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Would you say that trolling a husky jerk would be a good technique for those Walleye and Wiper?

Hit it right with the phase, the shad will get pushed up to the dam by both species and you can jerk horizontal to the dam face on a regular cast and retrieve.
If you want to cheat a bit there is a way.

Re: Trinidad Lake CO. - 09/11/21 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by TxSwimbaiter
Originally Posted by CCTX
Would you say that trolling a husky jerk would be a good technique for those Walleye and Wiper?

Hit it right with the phase, the shad will get pushed up to the dam by both species and you can jerk horizontal to the dam face on a regular cast and retrieve.
If you want to cheat a bit there is a way.

Very helpful thanks mate!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum