Posted By: MathGeek

Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/27/21 12:58 PM

Does it seem like cheating to you?

Posted By: MuglyFish

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/27/21 01:08 PM

if the fish bite, its not cheating grin
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/27/21 01:19 PM

Not cheating to me. I've caught a 1,000 bass trolling or strolling a DD22 at Fork over the years.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/27/21 02:03 PM

Strolling might have been invented by Lake Fork guide Dean Stroman many years ago. What he would do is, mainly using a DD22, is let out all the line on his reel over a road bed or another boat lane type place where there were no standing timber. He used both his big motor or trolling motor to move it along at a fair pace.
He often caught two bass on one crank bait,
He often complained about wearing out his trolling motors. Many 10 pound fish were caught by him or his customers.

Up in the Ozarks trolling for bass is pretty common.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/27/21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
Strolling might have been invented by Lake Fork guide Dean Stroman many years ago. What he would do is, mainly using a DD22, is let out all the line on his reel over a road bed or another boat lane type place where there were no standing timber. He used both his big motor or trolling motor to move it along at a fair pace.
He often caught two bass on one crank bait,
He often complained about wearing out his trolling motors. Many 10 pound fish were caught by him or his customers.

Up in the Ozarks trolling for bass is pretty common.

yep caught my share as a young un , Dad & i would troll near points etc . in summer on Table rock. We had a nice cabin up there for years my dad & uncles built. When i was in diapers looong ago. Miss that a lot
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/27/21 03:01 PM

I thought trolling was the only way to fish when I was a youngster. That's all my dad did.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/27/21 04:56 PM

Growing up My dad and I would troll in ponds for crappie, bluegill and bass. Lots of times jut with little crappie tubes or little crankbaits/jerk baits. I still troll anytime I'm in my john boat using just my trolling motor. Might catch a bonus fish!
Posted By: lunkerloser

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/27/21 07:48 PM

Thats how the pro's caught all those big bass out of Richland Chambers when they were there years ago. The lake hasn't been the same since.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/27/21 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by lunkerloser
Thats how the pro's caught all those big bass out of Richland Chambers when they were there years ago. The lake hasn't been the same since.

roflmao
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/28/21 01:24 AM

Ask the old timers on Falcon how well they do when trolling the dam grin
Posted By: Tyler Kalishek

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 01:33 AM

Wtf did I just watch? I see that bigger largemouth wasn’t dead yet hanging on the board
Posted By: 9094

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler Kalishek
Wtf did I just watch? I see that bigger largemouth wasn’t dead yet hanging on the board

This guy is a nutcase. And he doesn’t ever let anything go.
Don’t click on his stuff he is just posting to get clicks
Posted By: Kentucky

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 02:11 AM

Me and my dad would catch them all the time trolling bandits for crappie on Percy priest.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 02:36 AM

The first time I saw it was on Richland Chambers, trolling Bombers for Sandbass & Hybrids
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 05:57 PM

Back in the late 60s and early 70s we would troll Hellbenders at Rayburn in the summer. Caught tons of fish doing it. Messed around with trolling DD22s in the mid to late 90s and it still worked then. Found some deep structure that held fish that I still fish today.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 9094

A nutcase is a fisherman legally harvesting fish and putting up a video of it while sharing his faith with others.

Used to be a nutcase was a jihadist blowing people up.

What noun would one use to describe someone that keeps clicking on threads that they don't care for just to call the OP a nutcase and tell someone else NOT to click on it because they have superhuman powers to know the motivation of the OP. Hummm makes a lot of sense to me!

Boy how times have changed.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow

A nutcase is a fisherman legally harvesting fish and putting up a video of it while sharing his faith with others.

Used to be a nutcase was a jihadist blowing people up.

What noun would one use to describe someone that keeps clicking on threads that they don't care for just to call the OP a nutcase and tell someone else NOT to click on it because they have superhuman powers to know the motivation of the OP. Hummm makes a lot of sense to me!

Boy how times have changed.

I tend to agree. HIs videos are quirky but I enjoy them. He is taking fish legally I am sure (I would never call a guy a poacher without hard proof!!) and likes to share his channel. Sounds sane to me. You can always just not watch or if you dont enjoy it move on.

Trolling for bass works and is not cheating. Its no magic bullet! To do it well consistently is just as much of a puzzle and challenge as dragging a football jig.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 10:45 PM

Nutcase is an understatement
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 11:17 PM

What difference does it make? It'll just be a little fresher going into the skillet.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 11:45 PM

[quote=Tyler Kalishek]Wtf did I just watch? I see that bigger largemouth wasn’t dead yet hanging on the board [/quozms

Is it Mathgeek, or Methgeek,,,,whatever,,,, God does not like you nailing live fish to a board. Put them back in the water so they can live.

Who in their right mind nails live fish to a board attached to their boat???

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/29/21 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02

What difference does it make? It'll just be a little fresher going into the skillet.

Would you like being nailed to a board while you are still alive???
Posted By: Tyler Kalishek

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/30/21 01:13 AM

I don’t care that he kept the fish. Just noticed the fish was still moving during the video

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/31/21 10:36 PM

Here's my video on how we release stripers:

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/31/21 11:55 PM

Why do you nail live fish to a board????
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 08/31/21 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

Satanic ritual
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 09/01/21 12:39 AM

Must say that trolling for walleyes is a widely accepted and legal in tourneys. I have tried strolling at Fork with 10XD's and 8XDs after losing a couple in the trees I'm done.

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 09/01/21 03:05 PM

I don't. Hanging fish on nails for photos is common - though more in salt water fisheries. Many marinas have the boards with the nails for anglers to hang their catch and take pictures. You come along and hang the fish from the nails and take your pictures. A couple years ago I made a board with nails to facilitate a similar approach to pictures on the side of my boat.

When a fish is caught it goes into the ice chest where they die quickly. When I get back to the ramp, I hang the fish from the nails and take the pics and occasionally make a short video. On rare occasion, a fish shows some movement - akin to a chicken running around with its head cut off. Unless that bass lived for 46 minutes in my ice chest without any water, it isn't alive in the video. (I checked the time stamps on the raw video files.) And I didn't "nail" it to the board. The nail has been in the board for years. The fish is simply hanging from the board.

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 09/01/21 11:25 PM

The nail is in the board and you stick the fish on the nail and it is obvious that one bass was still alive from your video. It would not move that much if it were dead. The fish would not just hang on a board if you didn't jam a nail through them, so it is not just hanging on a board like you stated. It has a nail stuck through it, and you did that.

Why don't you just take pictures of them in the cooler on ice.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 09/01/21 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
Must say that trolling for walleyes is a widely accepted and legal in tourneys. I have tried strolling at Fork with 10XD's and 8XDs after losing a couple in the trees I'm done.

I tried it at ivie years ago, let out a mile of line. If there is one sandbass in the whole lake you wasted your time....
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Catching Big Bass Trolling - 09/01/21 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Satanic ritual

I dont watch his nonsense but I'm sure its satan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum