Texas Fishing Forum

Broken rods

Posted By: spacejunkie

Broken rods - 08/17/21 06:15 PM

been watching a lot of fishing lately and have noticed quite a few rods being broken when boat flipping 2-3lbers. Anyone having a problem like this?

Posted on wrong page the first time.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Broken rods - 08/17/21 06:52 PM

A lot has to do with rod angle. You get the tip too vertical any rod can break on a small fish.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Broken rods - 08/17/21 06:54 PM

A lot has to do with 2 minute penalty fish landing violation rather than just flopping them on the carpet
Posted By: prosise

Re: Broken rods - 08/17/21 06:58 PM

It's not the arrow, it's the indian. And yes, I have done it. Not a good day when it happens. If you can win the big bucks, it doesn't matter. But for an old working man like me, it hurts. Unless theybsay (Ugly Stick, or East texas grass rake) you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Broken rods - 08/17/21 07:01 PM

It hurts no matter if you can afford it or not...I broke one of my go to rods and have yet to find a suitable replacement.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Broken rods - 08/17/21 07:37 PM

It seams to me that when I really start to love a rod for a certain presentation... I’ll break it lol especially my spinner bait rods! Lol I guess because I flip the bass in the boat if they are too big.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Broken rods - 08/17/21 08:45 PM

I broke three tips in the same day a couple months ago when I forgot to check where two of them were when I pulled my trolling motor up and dropped it down into place.
Now where I use to have 2 great 7’3” rods, I have 2 new 7’ rods.
The other one was I got hung up on the bottom and trying to pull or yank it free broke the other one. This one broke further down the shaft, that one ended up in the trash can.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Broken rods - 08/17/21 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by RedRaider3933
A lot has to do with rod angle. You get the tip too vertical any rod can break on a small fish.

i dont boat flip much...but yea, id say this. looks cooler when you just lift that tip right up so the fish passes right in front of the gopro.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Broken rods - 08/17/21 11:45 PM

Get you some Falcons. They don’t break like them Dobyns
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by dk2429

I wish that was true. I have three parts rods already this year. Granted one was used to beat a snake away from my boat. roflmao
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

I wish that was true. I have three parts rods already this year. Granted one was used to beat a snake away from my boat. roflmao

steezzz you were the reason I bought some falcon rods...
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 03:23 AM

It instills a ton of confidence in a brand of rods when I see them breaking when they shouldn't! sarcastic
Posted By: 9094

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 03:32 AM

I only do it with frogs or punching grass. The way to avoid it is to not buy the lightest thinnest rod available. Get a good heavy thick rod with a thicker tip. When fishing these two methods you don’t need overly sensitive but you do need tough. I have a couple of old All Star platinum 7’6” extra heavy action rods for punching and I use a heavy 7’6” graphite glass combination rod for frogs.
Never broke a one of these old rods boat flipping fish up to 6 lbs.
But everyone of the super light fast tip rods I try this with breaks sooner than later.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

steezzz you were the reason I bought some falcon rods...

Just don’t stomp on them. You’ll be fine.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 03:15 PM

If anyone has broken several rods of multiple brands then chances are the rods are not the problem.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 06:19 PM

Dobyns will break, but they have a great warranty.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
If anyone has broken several rods of multiple brands then chances are the rods are not the problem.

Correct Mark.
In 40 years of bass fishing I have broken 3 rods while actually fishing.
Posted By: Diezel_Rocker

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 06:59 PM

I was rigging up in the garage one day and just tied a popper on a rod; then leaned it up against a wall to grab another combo.

My idiot Labrador walked by wagging his tail and hooked the popper with his tail, he hauled [censored] dragging my Loomis rod behind him.

He then spun around really fast to try to bite the lure hooked into his tail, this made the rod sling into the garage door smashing it into about 4 pieces.

Fun times.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 07:25 PM

Most rods break due to angler mis-treatment, some will come with a factory defect where the material may have got laid to thin in a spot.
Posted By: salex

Re: Broken rods - 08/18/21 10:51 PM

My next door neighbor does all the repairs for SW Parts. It sure is nice to run across the alley for a quick repair.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Broken rods - 08/19/21 12:29 AM

Power Tackle, snuff said
Posted By: Bofish

Re: Broken rods - 08/20/21 02:56 PM

I agree with the Falcons. Been using LowRiders and Caras since they came out and haven't broken one yet. Most of my rods are now 10-15 years old and still catch as many fish as ever.
Posted By: Bofish

Re: Broken rods - 08/20/21 02:56 PM

I agree with the Falcons. Been using LowRiders and Caras since they came out and haven't broken one yet. Most of my rods are now 10-15 years old and still catch as many fish as ever.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Broken rods - 08/21/21 02:08 AM

Don’t break many rods. Last one was a Megabass that snapped on a cast of a 3/4 oz jig just out of warranty. Replaced it with a Dobyns since they have a more customer friendly warranty. Your mileage may vary.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum