Texas Fishing Forum

Free rigging?

Posted By: 572Fitter

Free rigging? - 08/16/21 01:20 PM

Have you tried it and has it produced for you? Also,spinning gear or baitcasting?
Posted By: SwimbaitRanger

Re: Free rigging? - 08/16/21 06:33 PM

Baitcasting. 1/4 oz weight and a light wire hook to match bait size. Light wire like Owner J- hooks to allow the bait to glide. Caught my PB smallmouth on it yesterday
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Free rigging? - 08/16/21 07:14 PM

I tried it briefly 2 years ago without any success. I probably didn't give it a fair shake but I have multiple friends that swear by it.

Also, baitcast.
Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: Free rigging? - 08/16/21 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by SwimbaitRanger
Baitcasting. 1/4 oz weight and a light wire hook to match bait size. Light wire like Owner J- hooks to allow the bait to glide. Caught my PB smallmouth on it yesterday

So you hop it off the bottom and let slack in the line??
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Free rigging? - 08/16/21 09:17 PM

Isn't this same thing as tokyo rig? I've done the jika rig with some success but not a ton, honestly catch more on a biflle hardhead.
Posted By: SwimbaitRanger

Re: Free rigging? - 08/16/21 10:15 PM

Yeah you hop it and let the bait glide back down to the bottom. The difference in this and the Tokyo rig is that the bait is able to move more freely instead of being attached to the weight and wire. The best advantage is that it falls vertically and can stay in the strike zone longer than a Texas rig. A Texas rig will move farther with every lift and drop. The best situation is fishing vertical cover like standing timber, dock pilings, brush piles and grass edges.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Free rigging? - 08/17/21 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
Isn't this same thing as tokyo rig? I've done the jika rig with some success but not a ton, honestly catch more on a biflle hardhead.

I don't think so. It's just a traditional Texas Rig with a eye-ring weight rather than a line-through.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Free rigging? - 08/17/21 12:20 AM

Theirs only four rigs. Texas, Carolina, Alabama, and wacky(California???). No need for anything else.
Posted By: Clark Reehm

Re: Free rigging? - 08/17/21 02:10 AM

© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum