Texas Fishing Forum

Describe Boat Brand Performance..?

Posted By: DCott

Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/10/21 12:11 PM

For those of you who have ridden in or drove multiple different boats and configurations, how would you describe some of them?

Looking for the Great, good, bad, or ugly…
Posted By: Walls

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/10/21 12:16 PM

https://www.youtube.com/user/KenSmithFishing/videos

Scroll past the few dozen Basscat videos he's done recently and look for different brands (BC included) of his "great bass boat search" series. More objective information than you could ever get on a thread here. cheers
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/10/21 01:00 PM

BassCat fits three outta four. Great, good, and ugly.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/10/21 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Everyone has opinions lol. I personally think there isn't a better looking boat made than a Cat.

To the OP what brand are you looking at specifically?
Posted By: BCB

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/10/21 01:41 PM

SteezMacQueen,
Thanks for the compliment(s)... we are good with values of shared opinions as we all have them.
BCB

Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/10/21 02:26 PM

As as an outsider that looked at many brands before settling on my current rig...here's what I learned in 2018 when looking:

Nitro = Cheaper of the bunch starting out...then all the accessories add up. The ride of the new hull is nice and the deck is plenty for the average fisherman. Speed isn't the greatest but an experienced driver can make up for that. Looks are good but nothing that stands out as WOW.

Triton = I'd give it the same review as Nitro. This was my #3 pick when I was boat shopping if that helps due to the affordability at the time I was looking.

Ranger = Most expensive in most of the boats...well rigged from the start. The ride is slower than most hulls due to the weight and other attributes. They are to me like a Cadillac. Very nice fit / finish on the inside and have some neat gadgets. Ride in this boat in bigger water is up towards the top. Looks...man I haven't seen a Ranger in years that doesn't make you take another look. They also have some of the highest resale.

Phoenix = They are made very well. Ride very smooth. And one of the faster hulls I've been on. They lean towards the tournament angler so the fit / finish / layout is well thought out. The speed...well that's a whole next level. They also have this race look with the hull wings, if you're into that. This boat can handle some crazy water and I've been in a 618 in some ROUGH water and it handled it like a champ.

Skeeter = If I were in the market today...this would be on my short list. Only because I've been in several around here and the dealerships and services areas are a plenty. They have a great layout with plenty of space and storage. The ride is up there along with speed. You can get into a larger Skeeter for a decent price without being raked over the coals as well.

BCB = Layout is funky...but I like the well thought out portion of it. The ride is more like a Ferrari than a Cadillac. They flat out scoot. The fit / finish is very good and they seem to use some high quality materials / screws / fittings / etc. The one thing I can look past is the oh "s###" handle. It seems out of place in a bass boat, but when you're hauling tail you'll see why it's needed.

I left a few others off as I've had limited time on them or they are no longer being made (aka Legend).
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/10/21 04:25 PM

roflmao this for sure
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/10/21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by BCB
SteezMacQueen,
Thanks for the compliment(s)... we are good with values of shared opinions as we all have them.
BCB

cheers
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/10/21 07:39 PM

I will say I've noticed that BassCat has a different "feel" to them. They feel like the top cap and hull are one solid piece, feels different than the "jarring" feeling you get in most boats when its rough out.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/10/21 07:44 PM

Picked up a Phoenix a few weeks ago but my dream boat is still a Lynx
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/11/21 12:22 AM

Ugly is not one. You need to have your vision checked. Vexus, glass, now that is one ugly boat.

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/11/21 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
I will say I've noticed that BassCat has a different "feel" to them. They feel like the top cap and hull are one solid piece, feels different than the "jarring" feeling you get in most boats when its rough out.

Exactly, you don't feel your ribs bouncing out of place in a BassCat like you do with other boats.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/11/21 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
As as an outsider that looked at many brands before settling on my current rig...here's what I learned in 2018 when looking:

Nitro = Cheaper of the bunch starting out...then all the accessories add up. The ride of the new hull is nice and the deck is plenty for the average fisherman. Speed isn't the greatest but an experienced driver can make up for that. Looks are good but nothing that stands out as WOW.

Triton = I'd give it the same review as Nitro. This was my #3 pick when I was boat shopping if that helps due to the affordability at the time I was looking.

Ranger = Most expensive in most of the boats...well rigged from the start. The ride is slower than most hulls due to the weight and other attributes. They are to me like a Cadillac. Very nice fit / finish on the inside and have some neat gadgets. Ride in this boat in bigger water is up towards the top. Looks...man I haven't seen a Ranger in years that doesn't make you take another look. They also have some of the highest resale.

Phoenix = They are made very well. Ride very smooth. And one of the faster hulls I've been on. They lean towards the tournament angler so the fit / finish / layout is well thought out. The speed...well that's a whole next level. They also have this race look with the hull wings, if you're into that. This boat can handle some crazy water and I've been in a 618 in some ROUGH water and it handled it like a champ.

Skeeter = If I were in the market today...this would be on my short list. Only because I've been in several around here and the dealerships and services areas are a plenty. They have a great layout with plenty of space and storage. The ride is up there along with speed. You can get into a larger Skeeter for a decent price without being raked over the coals as well.

BCB = Layout is funky...but I like the well thought out portion of it. The ride is more like a Ferrari than a Cadillac. They flat out scoot. The fit / finish is very good and they seem to use some high quality materials / screws / fittings / etc. The one thing I can look past is the oh "s###" handle. It seems out of place in a bass boat, but when you're hauling tail you'll see why it's needed.

I left a few others off as I've had limited time on them or they are no longer being made (aka Legend).

This is pretty spot on imo, I run a Phoenix 21PHX and don't really have a complaint one. Then I drove and fished in a new Caymas and it had me second guessing my original purchase.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/11/21 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Duke 22
Originally Posted by avid_basser

This is pretty spot on imo, I run a Phoenix 21PHX and don't really have a complaint one. Then I drove and fished in a new Caymas and it had me second guessing my original purchase.

Those Caymas boats are some bad mo fos, I will have me one soon.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/11/21 02:44 AM

In the past year have ridden in Triton, Ranger, Nitro, and Phoenix boats. I rode in a Skeeter as well but its been a couple of years ago. I fish co-angler tournaments so it allows me to experience different boats and when a major tournament comes to northeast Texas you can usually get a test rides as well. The ride is what I really look for because of my age I don't want to take a beating. Based on that alone this is the order I'd put them in; smoothest being the first. Ranger, Nitro, Phoenix, Triton, and then Skeeter. If I had to choose a boat today based on ride alone plus reviews I've read the Phoenix would get my vote. Ranger and Nitro had a far superior ride but I've heard to many horror stories on both brands in recent years, I wouldn't rule out a Triton or a Skeeter because they are close to the Phoenix in ride and the difference could have actually been the conditions the day I rode in these two brands.
Oh and I just wanted to add Bass Cat just for shear speed. I haven't ridden in one but when I was fishing out of a Triton TRX21 in a BFL the guy I was fishing with tried to run down a Bass Cat: It was probably either a Puma or a Cougar, and we kept loosing ground to it. We must have followed it for 5 miles or better running wide open or nearly wide open and it was steadily pulling away. By the time we stopped following you could barely see it.. I'd really like to ride in a Bass Cat as well.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/11/21 01:20 PM

If ride is your only factor I don't think you can go wrong any these days. To me there is no stand out. And just speaking of boats made in the last few years not 20 years ago, and only considering the same length boats across brands.

If speed is a concern that is another conversation. Comes down to what you want to spend and your other wants.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/11/21 01:21 PM

If ride is your only factor I don't think you can go wrong any these days. To me there is no stand out. And just speaking of boats made in the last few years not 20 years ago, and only considering the same length boats across brands.

If speed is a concern that is another conversation. Comes down to what you want to spend and your other wants.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/11/21 05:05 PM

fishing as a co-angler in many different boats I'd say that a 3 years old 21' Legend is the driest. I recently fished in a fairly new Nitro which is 100% improved over the older boats. Fast and dry with much room to move around. Been in two different Phoenix's lately and both are good rides and fishing good. Also been in two 21' newer Rangers and were both great.
I like the Basscats but have not been in one in over a year.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/17/21 05:31 PM

Avid Basser knows his stuff. Pretty spot on with his reviews. They all have pro's and con's, just like pick ups. I will say this though, I have never been a BC fan until recently. I have always been loyal to Skeeter, but I have ridden in two new ones in the past 12 months and the ride is absolutely incredible. I still favor the Skeeter as far as looks and it's profile in the water, but I was thoroughly impressed with the ride of the BC's. I know Phoenix is an awesome boat as well.
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/18/21 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001

roflmao this for sure

THIS cheers
Posted By: KsChampion198

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/18/21 01:30 PM

I've been in several boats and owned a few different as well. Currently run a 2012 Ranger 518/200. It's been the best boat I've ever had. To me, it doesn't ride very well but it's a little rocket (legit 70+) on gps, plenty stable and is built very well built. That being said, my next boat will definitely be a Basscat. Just not sure which model. I got back and fourth between the cougar, Caracal and maybe a new Puma STS. Just depends how much I decide to spend. Coming from a Ranger guy, there isn't a better built boat out there than a cat.

Re: Describe Boat Brand Performance..? - 08/18/21 10:11 PM

I have an 04 BassCat Cougar and love it. I have a 2014 motor on it and have new electronics and a new trolling motor on it. The boat is rock solid, looks great, and performs very well, so I have no desire to replace it, but If I were in the market for another boat I would give a good look at the Caymas.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum