Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Conroe

Posted By: dk2429

Lake Conroe - 08/06/21 03:27 AM

Any one fished Conroe lately? Gonna be on it Saturday morning. Haven’t fished it in over a year so just wondering. I’m aware of the 10 foot wake boat swells by the way. I’ll be off before that
Posted By: JBranham

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/06/21 04:32 AM

It’s a grind like everywhere else.

Points and docks.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/06/21 05:11 PM

Hit up some rip rap early with a squarebill then do what JBranham said
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/06/21 10:26 PM

Any day you can catch a limit is a great day. August is probably in the top 3 tough months to fish on Conroe. It’s a grind. A hot grind. Fish are suspended with the thermocline. They will mostly be above 12 ft. Little telling where they will be one day to the next.

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/06/21 10:53 PM

Are these routes still safe to run? Dropping in at the 830 ramp, heading to the south end to pick up a friend at their house, then plan to start in at the back of the Stowaway creek.

I know about the big sand bar in front of Stowaway marina. Just wondering if these routes I marked are still clear today as I'll be running them early morning

Attached picture full-102057-41931-43fac357_2b8c_47c3_9e25_226c6b3388c8.png

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/06/21 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
Are these routes still safe to run? Dropping in at the 830 ramp, heading to the south end to pick up a friend at their house, then plan to start in at the back of the Stowaway creek.

I know about the big sand bar in front of Stowaway marina. Just wondering if these routes I marked are still clear today as I'll be running them early morning

They are good.

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/07/21 06:27 PM

I think I can safely say that today was my last rodeo at that clown show
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/07/21 06:58 PM

I say that every time I go! But it is a quicker trip then going to Rayburn.

I avoid it on the weekends, clown show is a nice way of saying what you really mean!

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/07/21 09:27 PM

It’s definitely a recreational lake first, fishing 3rd or 4th… Total pain in the [censored] to fish right now though and pretty much has been since Covid began.

Just about the time you’re ready to write it off it produces some of the bigger fish you may ever catch.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/07/21 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by JBranham

It’s definitely a recreational lake first, fishing 3rd or 4th… Total pain in the [censored] to fish right now though and pretty much has been since Covid began.

Just about the time you’re ready to write it off it produces some of the bigger fish you may ever catch.

Man that's no joke. Seems like since covid everybody and their dog has gotten a boat and is a Conroe.

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/08/21 02:15 AM

I’ll say, this morning was super nice. Dropped in at the 830 ramp at about 6am, super calm and beautiful. Ran up into the back of the creek that Stowaway is on, back up in Lake Paula. Didn’t do much to speak of

Wanted some “A/C” so decided to run down to April Plaza to crank some docks. I left that cove at about 9:30 to come out and see about 19,000 wake boats throwing 10ft swells all over the lake. Insanity. And the fishing was slow to fair to top it all off

I know Conroe has always been like this. I think today just topped it all off for me to not return

Oh yeah, and how could I forget? Went to go load up. Waited in line for 15 mins because of pure stupidity (see pics.)

Dude in the new Silverado was burning tires for 5 mins trying to get out and just couldn’t comprehend that you don’t floor it to get your rig up the ramp

And the dude in the red SUV is when I decided to trailer up to Cagle and drop in there. Before my very eyes he drops his boat in, then literally just pulls his rig straight ahead and parks in the area you back up in.

Attached picture 79DF23FE-8A0D-4238-B887-CD24A492E3FD.jpeg
Attached picture E2A4E944-B435-4F95-B344-FFE406C897AC.jpeg
Attached picture 6B80D8FC-3FD0-4229-A65F-E72F021DF6DF.jpeg
Attached picture AD3717A7-69CE-4074-AB15-36A6243A14F2.jpeg
Attached picture 827F070F-BF78-4A89-8648-F8E9F484866B.jpeg
Posted By: Todd B.

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/08/21 02:11 PM

First mistake was 830 Boat Ramp. The only thing you should do there is get a lawn chair and a beverage of choice and enjoy the show! Go to the parks to put in. I don’t know where you are coming from but if it’s north then just put in at Cagle. It is a hidden gem. You have to know how to run the lake but it is well worth the $5.00 to stay away from the “clown show.”

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/08/21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
First mistake was 830 Boat Ramp. The only thing you should do there is get a lawn chair and a beverage of choice and enjoy the show! Go to the parks to put in. I don’t know where you are coming from but if it’s north then just put in at Cagle. It is a hidden gym. You have to know how to run the lake but it is well worth the $5.00 to stay away from the “clown show.”

I did put in at Cagle in the evening time. Didn’t get a bite up that way. It was significantly more quiet however

For the south end, if you think I’m paying someone $20 for permission to back my rig down a concrete slab, you’re high. I’ll deal with the yahoos for that much!

Now, if the marina launches/loads the boat for me and provides some breakfast tacos, THEN I’ll give them $20

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/08/21 07:35 PM

Stow-A-Way ($10) or Cagle ($5) but it’s just best to be off the water by noon, different lake, or golf on TV in the AC.
Posted By: Todd B.

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/09/21 03:04 AM

That is exactly what I’m saying. I will not pay $20 at all either. There are some a bit cheaper than putting in off 105 but if it’s cheaper then when it’s time to come off the lake you will once again be in under the big top…
Posted By: Bofish

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/11/21 03:05 PM

I was fortunate to be able to fish Conroe in the late 70's - early 80's, and still wish I could have days like that. Conroe with hydrilla (or any lake) was unbelievable. Start the morning with buzzbait or spook, switch to a T-rig purple red flake worm, and go home when your arms got tired. We couldn't leave great alone:-(
Posted By: Bofish

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/14/21 04:44 PM

830 ramp must be the same 40 yrs later. My fishing buddy and our wives used to go to 830 ramp on Sunday afternoon and sit in the back of my truck watching the show! saw a couple of fights and the start on many divorces:-) Watched one guy who might have been drinking park his boat in the camper on his pickup!
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/14/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bofish
830 ramp must be the same 40 yrs later. My fishing buddy and our wives used to go to 830 ramp on Sunday afternoon and sit in the back of my truck watching the show! saw a couple of fights and the start on many divorces:-) Watched one guy who might have been drinking park his boat in the camper on his pickup!

It is a show for sure at the 830 ramp, usually a chit show

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/15/21 12:18 PM

Weekends. Put in North at Stowaway. Go south early if you want to fish any south stuff such as Rush creek. Start heading north by 10am. If you get off the lake by noon that’s when the worst come out. Lake is always rough when boat traffic is up at all. Wake boats are annoying. Doesn’t. Bother fishing., They are used to it, can actually put fish on structure.

If you go out looking for what is going to bother you it will. So go fishing and ignore the craziness.

Lake puts out pretty good average size fish. 25#+ stringer is possible.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/15/21 12:24 PM

Storm blew through yesterday evening at sundown capsizing a party boat, putting 53 people in the water. One passed away frown

Lake Conroe Party Boat Capsize Link
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Lake Conroe - 08/19/21 07:28 PM

Been launching at 830 for 30+ years. It can get a bit crowded at times and I have seen some idiots, just like anywhere else, but I have never once had an issue I would consider major. I guess I am just lucky and with some quick math at 30 +years (30-40 times a year at $10 a pop), I am also about 10 thousand on the plus side!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum