Texas Fishing Forum

Carolina rig

Posted By: James Biggs

Carolina rig - 08/04/21 08:26 PM

Please check out my video. Thanks Allison1 for posting.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Carolina rig - 08/04/21 08:30 PM

Error on video James.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Carolina rig - 08/04/21 08:31 PM

Re: Carolina rig - 08/04/21 08:57 PM

Super Dog is way cool......... Nice vid James !
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Carolina rig - 08/04/21 09:49 PM

Good stuff James, I still have plans on scheduling something with you in the future sir.

I see the Dialed Baits shirt, is Brandon still around making those?

Re: Carolina rig - 08/04/21 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hook'em79
Good stuff James, I still have plans on scheduling something with you in the future sir.

I see the Dialed Baits shirt, is Brandon still around making those?

He’s got some things in the works.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Carolina rig - 08/04/21 11:38 PM

Could you please blurr out the chartreuse pepper fluke in your thumbnail? They don’t work………ever! bolt
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Carolina rig - 08/05/21 12:44 AM

After you put the bait in dip n dye, if you put them in the water it will lock the color in and it will no longer get on your carpet.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Carolina rig - 08/05/21 03:26 AM

thumb

Re: Carolina rig - 08/05/21 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Could you please blurr out the chartreuse pepper fluke in your thumbnail? They don’t work………ever! bolt

They are hard to find!
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Carolina rig - 08/05/21 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by James Biggs
Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

They are hard to find!

Yep! Can’t believe Zoom won’t make it.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Carolina rig - 08/06/21 01:06 AM

Great video James.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Carolina rig - 08/06/21 12:20 PM

Good info.
Good looking dog too
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Carolina rig - 08/06/21 03:57 PM

Good video James. I like the simplicity, same way I fish it. I think too many people over think this on the rigging.
Posted By: tangledup3

Re: Carolina rig - 08/07/21 12:49 AM

Great video looking forward to seeing more.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Carolina rig - 08/07/21 01:24 AM

Good information James
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Carolina rig - 08/07/21 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
Good video James. I like the simplicity, same way I fish it. I think too many people over think this on the rigging.

I agree ^^^^^ I’m guilty. Going to try this tomorrow. Thanks James.
Posted By: Ben B

Re: Carolina rig - 08/07/21 08:39 PM

Thanks for the vid James!

What are your thoughts on using braid for main line? Would like to hear others chime in on this as well. For me, braid and tungsten is super sensitive for feeling the bottom and detecting subtle bites, and also helps getting the expensive weight back if I get the leader hung up...but would like to hear others weigh in on pros/cons of this.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Carolina rig - 08/07/21 08:47 PM

I have a buddy that will only fish braid main mine in c-rig. Swears by it. Best feel.
Posted By: Ben B

Re: Carolina rig - 08/07/21 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
I have a buddy that will only fish braid main mine in c-rig. Swears by it. Best feel.

thumb

Re: Carolina rig - 08/07/21 09:05 PM

I use 40lb Suffix on my Crig rod. Have used fluoro too and like the feel of the braid better. To 15 lb fluro leader.

Re: Carolina rig - 08/08/21 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ben B

What are your thoughts on using braid for main line? Would like to hear others chime in on this as well. For me, braid and tungsten is super sensitive for feeling the bottom and detecting subtle bites, and also helps getting the expensive weight back if I get the leader hung up...but would like to hear others weigh in on pros/cons of this.

I feel like I get less bites with the main line braid. I also think if you aren’t careful it’s easier to break your 15lbs leader.
I think the the braid starts sawing on brush or timber it spooks big bass.

Re: Carolina rig - 08/08/21 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by James Biggs

I feel like I get less bites with the main line braid. I also think if you aren’t careful it’s easier to break your 15lbs leader.
I think the the braid starts sawing on brush or timber it spooks big bass.

Interesting take James. I’m pretty new at this but do like the sensitivity of the braid. That makes sense though
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Carolina rig - 08/08/21 08:29 PM

Three different guides on Fork told me years ago that you will get less bites using braid as a main line. All three of them said two customers would show up to throw a C-rig and the one with braid as a main line would always get less bites. They all said that you will still catch fish with it but the customer that wasn't using braid would always get more bites. They said they have seen it many times over.

Because of their observations and suggestion, I started using fluorocarbon line as my main line. One thing that I did notice after the switch from braid, when I get the weight snagged on timber I can pull it tight and then snap the rod back quickly and that usually will cause the weight to snap off of what it was hung on. Not always, but most of the time. Braid does not stretch so you do not get that sling shot effect with it to get your weight loose. Rarely do I get the hook hung on something, most of the time it is the weight stuck against a piece of timber.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Carolina rig - 08/09/21 02:03 PM

Great info James!
Posted By: Bofish

Re: Carolina rig - 08/12/21 03:24 PM

Nice video. Chartreuse Pepper french fries were my best Carolina rig bait ever
Posted By: Face Down Fishing

Re: Carolina rig - 08/13/21 12:28 AM

Hello....I'm new and this is 1st post. Great vid. I see you are in Grand Prairie....I am in Waxahachie but lived in Waxahachie for 10 years nd used to fish that giant pond off hwy 30 and still would if I had my boat. Anyways.....I have been fishing C-rigs for 30 plus years and don't fish it only in summer; I use it year round. 2 of my biggest fish, came in that pond off 30 in January on a C-rig....one on a 2 inch Mann's and one on a Keitech Flapper frog believe it or not. As much as I hate braid I use it as main and liter, as flouro sinks and alot of these baits just drag on bottom; and since I always want my lure floating as much as possible I use braid; unless it'a clear water pond. I use 3 baits....soft body frogs, 12 inch worms and fluke type baits. I typically run a longer liter....5 ft usually. I, like you, don't bother with beads and clackers and all that. For some reason I am still using toothpicks instead of bobber stops lol. Anyways nice vid for a technique more people should utilize as it is a big fish magnet. Jigs and C-rigs 80% of the time 100% of the year for me
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Carolina rig - 08/13/21 01:08 AM

James - This video and the square bill video were both really good. I noticed that you didn’t talk about the retrieve in either one. It looks like you dragged the plastic a bit and then paused. Do you ever change up the length of the pause because of water temp or clarity? Is there a situation where you’d do a constant slow crawl?

Thanks for taking the time to create and post your videos - much appreciated.
Posted By: Face Down Fishing

Re: Carolina rig - 08/13/21 01:48 AM

I know you didn't ask me....but for me.... Clear water, like really clear, even colder water.....I typically move it faster, not real fast as the fish aren't tryint to chase things as much, but warm water I def move it faster. Dirty water, which I prefer, I am using a bulky soft frog or giant 12-14 inch worm, which move alot of water, I slow down....meaning I make fast pulls to displace water but pause it much longer.....whether it be cold or warm water temps.

Re: Carolina rig - 08/13/21 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by PlanoTom
James - This video and the square bill video were both really good. I noticed that you didn’t talk about the retrieve in either one. It looks like you dragged the plastic a bit and then paused. Do you ever change up the length of the pause because of water temp or clarity? Is there a situation where you’d do a constant slow crawl?

Thanks for taking the time to create and post your videos - much appreciated.

As far as the c-rig retrieve, I fish it like this. Long cast, strip line & let it hit the bottom. Let it sit for 5-10 seconds with no movement. Reel up your slack, drag it on semi slack moving through rod upward, when you stop it put slack back in your line. I fish it mostly on slack, same as my dropshot & jig.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Carolina rig - 08/13/21 07:14 PM

FDF and James - thanks for the great responses. I fish mostly from a kayak so I have to make a single rod/reel do many things. For a C-rig, I use a Tungsten weight and then a Carolina Keeper. I really should fish it more.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum