Texas Fishing Forum

Stratos & Phoenix..?

Posted By: DCott

Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 11:15 AM

They sure do look similar in ways. Is there any relation in the Stratos Evolutions and Phoenix boats?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 11:40 AM

I don’t see any similarities, other the the graphics are similar”ish” on the sides. Now the Vexus glass boats resemble the Stratos.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by DCott
They sure do look similar in ways. Is there any relation in the Stratos Evolutions and Phoenix boats?

I believe the owner of Phoenix was with Earl Bentz at Stratos, I do see some characteristics of the Stratos in the Phoenix boats.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Happykamper

I believe the owner of Phoenix was with Earl Bentz at Stratos, I do see some characteristics of the Stratos in the Phoenix boats.

The founders of Phoenix all came from Stratos. The started in the the old Bumble Plant with their molds and a year or two later came out with new new models and hulls.

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 01:37 PM

What are the similarities?
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 01:54 PM

The older '07-'10 models do share a lot of similarities. But they are not similar at all anymore. Not sure Stratos even makes a model over 18 feet long anymore. If they do I haven't seen it anywhere online or in stores.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
The older '07-'10 models do share a lot of similarities. But they are not similar at all anymore. Not sure Stratos even makes a model over 18 feet long anymore. If they do I haven't seen it anywhere online or in stores.

Stratos makes no boats anymore.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

The founders of Phoenix all came from Stratos. The started in the the old Bumble Plant with their molds and a year or two later came out with new new models and hulls.

This^^^^
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 04:41 PM

They were/ are both made in Tennessee... Clouse came from Stratos???... Dan
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 05:56 PM

thumb
Posted By: Mike2718

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 09:40 PM

I know this doesn’t really mean much but I thought I would just add that the owner of Phoenix, Gary Clouse, worked for Earl at Stratos then he worked for him at Triton. If I remember correctly, he was VP of Sales.

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 10:56 PM

[Linked Image]

Don’t look anything like a Stratos to me

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/27/21 11:27 PM

[Linked Image]

I think it has some similarities to the earlier Stratos boats.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 12:06 AM

Yes it does, climb in one. If you knew Stratos in the days that the Clouse crew was there, there is a ton on Stratos DNA in a Phoenix. They are the love child of Stratos and Bumble Bee.

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 12:27 AM

You need to look at some of the first few years of Phoenix. They were very close to Stratos.

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

Yes it does, climb in one. If you knew Stratos in the days that the Clouse crew was there, there is a ton on Stratos DNA in a Phoenix. They are the love child of Stratos and Bumble Bee.

Climb in one. It’s my boat
Posted By: MDM

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 12:28 AM

If I remember correctly OMC (Outboard Motor Corporation) owned Johnson and Evinrude in the late 80s and they added Stratos and Javelin bass boats to their brand. Had a Javelin back in the 90s, it had a quick hull for its time, especially with the 150 hp limit at Bassmaster tournaments at that time. The Phoenix boat of today has more design in common with the Javelin boat design than the Stratos. Believe the Javelin designer (think it was Allan Stinson) went on to Triton with Bentz/Clouse which explains the common elements with the Tritons TRs of the mid 2000s. Looked closely at the Phoenix 921 Elite II at the Bassmaster Classic and was surprised at the similarities of interior and exterior design with those Tritons and the Phoenix. The rep in the booth commented that a number of the Phoenix designers/engineers had come to Phoenix after being with Clouse at Triton.

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 12:42 AM

Yeah I don’t know, I looked at interior & exterior layouts on the Internet and they still don’t look similar. Someone name something specifically that looks similar.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
I don’t see any similarities, other the the graphics are similar”ish” on the sides. Now the Vexus glass boats resemble the Stratos.

I don't think the Vexus looks anything like a Stratos. To me it doesn't look like any of the others on the market, No other brand is that ugly.

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 01:02 AM

Yeah I don’t know, I looked at interior & exterior layouts on the Internet and they still don’t look similar. Someone name something specifically that looks similar.

Just pull up some pictures of the Stratos boats, maybe 2010 to whenever they quit building them, to me there are lots of similarities, is this a bad thing ?

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 01:05 AM

Just pull up some pictures of the Stratos boats, maybe 2010 to whenever they quit building them, to me there are lots of similarities, is this a bad thing ?

You mean the ones with the champion hulls

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 01:31 AM

Not too me, I just don’t see any resemblance. Granted, there’s only so many ways to do the interior layout. Unless your BassCat and then you make funky angles on everything.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

I don't think the Vexus looks anything like a Stratos. To me it doesn't look like any of the others on the market, No other brand is that ugly.

roflmao I’m just referring to the back swoopy thing on the topcap.
Posted By: C_Fisher

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 11:27 AM

go back to the mid-90's Stratos 201 and compare the hull to a 721. I think the bottom side is pretty much the same. The mid-90's stratos 201 was the boat to have back then!

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 11:59 AM

Not too me, I just don’t see any resemblance. Granted, there’s only so many ways to do the interior layout. Unless your BassCat and then you make funky angles on everything.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For sure not that Stratos model, it is butt ugly, maybe it was the ones built in the 90's.
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 02:05 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For sure not that Stratos model, it is butt ugly, maybe it was the ones built in the 90's.

Nah they looking nothing like the Stratos 90's hulls. Not even close.

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 02:38 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There are alot of similarities in the 2 older boats around 2008. I think its more in the lines and graphics. Definitely used the same console. Think hes still using it today too. Phoenix has for sure changed the look as of today without a doubt. But my honest opinion is, Gary is going to need to get innovative in the next few years. His boats have basically been the same for a while now.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 02:46 PM

One thing is certain.....the build quality is a heck.of a lot better on a Phoenix. The Stratos boats were not built well.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 02:55 PM

They are both boats, they do have that in common.....
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
One thing is certain.....the build quality is a heck.of a lot better on a Phoenix. The Stratos boats were not built well.

I know it's just antidotal but my 2008 Stratos200 ProXL was one heck of a boat. Both in fit and finish and performance wise... Dan
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/28/21 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

I know it's just antidotal but my 2008 Stratos200 ProXL was one heck of a boat. Both in fit and finish and performance wise... Dan

I had a 278 and 2 of the 201s and the fit and finish were not good. Lots of plastic, lots of stripped out screws and things just not holding up.
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Stratos & Phoenix..? - 07/29/21 12:44 AM

It is just a remodeled stratos but much better
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum