Texas Fishing Forum

Lakemaster Issues

Posted By: flippinskeeter

Lakemaster Issues - 07/20/21 01:11 AM

Am I the only one not impressed with Lakemaster? Purchased two chips earlier this year, and I really like the ability to highlight contour ranges, but beyond that it’s not living up to the hype. I’ve had my boat on Choke Canyon, Fayette, and Conroe and Conroe is the only quality chart. When offsetting for the current water levels, the south side of Choke was off by 3’ compared to the actual depth, the north side was accurate. Fayette has little detail, with 5’ contour lines. We’re my expectations too high?
Posted By: SwimbaitRanger

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/20/21 02:52 AM

IMHO, Navionics is better. And I run Humminbirds
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/20/21 03:29 AM

Agree about Choke. Fayette is not advertised as a high def lake and Navionics is better. I have not been on Conroe.
It is pretty good on Canyon, Medina, Travis, Buchanan, Amistad, and Falcon. I have both but mostly use Lakemaster.
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/20/21 03:53 AM

Depends on the lake for sure. Lakemaster is better on lakes around the metromess but not as good as navionics on some other lakes.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/20/21 03:56 AM

Garmin isn’t great on Choke either, Navionics seems to the the winner. Although while at BPS last weekend and messing with their Garmin graphs, the new maps seemed to be better than the map that my Garmin card has installed. I was always hoping to see a Hbird map, doesn’t sound impressive though.
Posted By: flippinskeeter

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/20/21 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Joel McBride
Depends on the lake for sure. Lakemaster is better on lakes around the metromess but not as good as navionics on some other lakes.
Seems like Navionics is better on the average lake, with a few exceptions of heavily trafficked lakes where Lakemaster is on par with Navionics.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/20/21 05:22 PM

I have lakemaster chips in my birds and navionics on my tablet. I often use both and compare. Most of the time they are pretty similar. Occaissionally 1 is more.accurate than the other.

Having the ability to adjust water levels on my graph puts lakemaster ahead IMO, at least for the lakes i fish.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/20/21 05:37 PM

I have ran both and I have been pleased with Lakemaster more. The coverage of lakes in and around me are better plus i do color code all my depth ranges. Plus I run Strike Smart when I am on lakes I know very little about to get me going in the right direction.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/21/21 05:38 PM

Lakemaster on Joe Pool is awful. They have the creeks in the right spots but other bottom features are mostly not there. I believe that they focused on lakes in the south.. Ga, Al, Tn, etc. Those maps are good, not so much in Texas.

BD
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/22/21 01:47 AM

Lakemaster and their inability to cover shoreline cover (docks and marinas) just kills me. I have both, but lately I've been running highlights on my Navionics in most lakes.
Posted By: RandyD

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/22/21 01:56 AM

it seems on Texas it's lake dependent... I've seen much better / accurate detail on Pines with Lakemaster compared to Navionics... Not sure about Fork,... they seem to be very close.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/22/21 02:22 AM

What is the consensus on garmin shading? Is that accurate or a gimmick..
I was blown away with it at first

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/22/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by outfishdya

The lake drawdown/offset feature and depth shading are excellent features. If the contour lines are accurate for your lake.

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/22/21 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

The lake drawdown/offset feature and depth shading are excellent features. If the contour lines are accurate for your lake.

They call it high def relief shading.....
It looks like they painted the lake bottom humps, creeks, and house foundations ....
It was completely different than my Lakemaster maps

[Linked Image]

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/22/21 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

They call it high def relief shading.....
It looks like they painted the lake bottom humps, creeks, and house foundations ....
It was completely different than my Lakemaster maps

[Linked Image]

Ahhhh gotcha, I thought you meant something else. First I’ve seen of that, I guess they incorporated it from Navionics. Can’t really see it being useful, looks pretty though I guess.

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/22/21 03:50 AM

I think it will be useful if it is accurate....
Hell, it would probably give mem more confidence to throw a few more casts out. That alone will probably equal more fish
Posted By: prosise

Re: Lakemaster Issues - 07/22/21 11:53 AM

Ditto, i totally agree. The drop on several ledges are way off and deprh doesn't match. I do think the loweance map is a skosh better. I have been updating my goto spots with autochart which helps.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum