Texas Fishing Forum

Bernie and his old MotorGuide

Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/18/21 04:24 PM

Do they still make these overseas or something, I know he's used these for years but the one he has now has a white directional indicator like they updated some of the cosmetics. I would love to buy another one of these just to stash away if they still exist. Still using the one I have. Was going to upgrade to the Force or Ghost a few years back until I saw the price and its only gone up since then, then I was going to upgrade to the new Tour last year but I keep hearing bad reviews and issues. So if its not broke not going to fix it until my current one dies.

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/18/21 04:28 PM

I also notice it sounds quieter that some of the other guys newer trollers.
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/18/21 05:21 PM

If someone gave me a motor guide in the box I’d empty it of electrical components (directly into trash) then use it as it should be. A trot line anchor.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/18/21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Used2fish
If someone gave me a motor guide in the box I’d empty it of electrical components (directly into trash) then use it as it should be. A trot line anchor.

Everyone has their opinion. I've only run Motorguide for almost 40 years. They have been extremely dependable and I wouldn't want any other brand
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/18/21 06:51 PM

Well 2usedfish probably doesn’t want it, but i know where there is a nice used 36v motor guide tour digital and mount for sale for $200.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/18/21 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Used2fish

Ive had both the old main brands, know there's some new players now, and out of those 2 always preferred the MG they just seemed to be more powerful for the rating that was on the side compared to MK.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/18/21 08:40 PM

I'll take a MotorGuide 7 days a week over a Minn Kota
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/18/21 08:43 PM

And he was complaining about hard boat control was. Re ties and boat drifts. Really surprised he doesn’t have spot lock.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/18/21 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
And he was complaining about hard boat control was. Re ties and boat drifts. Really surprised he doesn’t have spot lock.

Me too. Don’t complain about that with spit lock out there Bernie..... what a dork.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/19/21 12:47 AM

A lot less electronics to go south like some have had problems with, when your 2 hours from help. I can see his thought with big money at stake, it's not a club tournament.Noticed Ito is using MG. roflmao
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/19/21 02:17 AM

Motor guide had the market for years and was a better product until minnkota put out the fortrex. That caught them up atleast.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/19/21 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
I'll take a MotorGuide 7 days a week over a Minn Kota

I have a 36V Tour edition I'll sell ya for a great price its been sitting in storage for 2 years.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/19/21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Motor guide had the market for years and was a better product until minnkota put out the fortrex. That caught them up atleast.

+1

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/19/21 07:38 PM

Used or NIB?
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/20/21 11:40 PM

I've used both at different times for many years. Started with MG 24 v, then went to a 36v beast but when Minn Kota came out with the prop that cut through hydrilla I bought it.
Now with hardly any of that grass where I fish I don't really need it. But when I bought the Ranger it came with a 24v Fortrex and it works pretty darn good. Just wish that it had come with spot lock instead.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/20/21 11:50 PM

I never had any big issues with MK but didn't with MG either, the MG just had more power.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Bernie and his old MotorGuide - 07/21/21 01:31 PM

Started with RamGlide many years ago, switched to MG and over the years I've had an MK or two but was never satisfied with their durability or power. Gave away two old MG recently that were 20+ years old and still functioned fine. Currently runnin and Xi5.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum