Texas Fishing Forum

How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence?

Posted By: bockscar

How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/10/21 03:55 AM

Or another one of those smallie factories. And im talking prime time of the season too for smallie fishing (when would that be btw?). What kinda coin would you need to drop to get from TX to one of those epic smallie lakes up north, and hire a guide for at least 4-5 days? Im assuming i cant rent my own boat...and probably wouldnt want to...that water can get scary quick it seems and id be like a chicken with my head cut off looking for them too.

Wondering what you guys spent whove done it? If i did it figure id have to do at least 4 days considering the overall investment in the trip. would make more sense to do as many days as possible i figure

in case youre wondering why im posting this fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvPjpO-uGk&ab_channel=WheelerFishing
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/10/21 05:45 AM

Doing a quick search for flight, AirBnB, and rental car. Leaving August 17th and flying home August 22nd.

Flight on United from Houston to Syracuse, NY, $1,200.
Rental car (sedan) $880
Airbnb in Massena, NY $515
Guide trip with Travis Manson $575/Day (4 days total $2,300)

Total: $4,895. That doesn't include any food. If you split the rental car, Airbnb & guide cost, you're at ~$3,050

I'm certain you could find cheaper flights, possibly rental car (it's 2-3 hour drive from Syracuse to Massena), a place to stay and a cheaper guide.

It's a 27 hour drive from my house to Massena, NY according to Google Maps.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/10/21 07:32 AM

I think you could do Lake Michigan/Green Bay quite a bit cheaper.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/10/21 09:15 AM

Last time we did it was 2016. Costs are below for one person...

Rountrip Airfare to Chicago.....$380
Rental car daily.......$80X4days = $320
Gas total = $150 (4.5hr drive to Traverse City)
Hotel $149/nightX 4= $596
Guide service www.northernadventuresfishing.com (prime time is late May) $600/dayX4 = $2,500 ($100tip)
Food $100/dayX4 = $400

TOTAL = $4346

You could prolly whittle off some here and there if you are frugal, but some areas may be more expensive such as rental cars. I recently tried to get rental car for ABQ for next month bus travels, and the ones that I could even find was costing around $300/day. That's why I'm driving out there. I won't pay that for a sub-compact car. It's only a 9-hr drive. GL and I hope this helps.

Posted By: Weavertree

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/10/21 04:36 PM

I've pulled my boat (20' Skeeter) up north every May since 2008. A little preparation and its no big deal. Pulling my rig from Shreveport it typically takes 5 tanks of gas to get to Mille Lacs, Lake Michigan, Lake Erie and St. Claire. We stay at an Airbnb, cost per night runs $125 to $200. You don't need a guide; every smallmouth in the lake is pulling up into 10 fow or less depending on water clarity. 4 to 8' is generally in the money if rock is plentiful. They are not as hard to find as largemouth in general...just stay on the move till you find them. Week trip cost:
Gas...........+/-$700.00
Lodging... +/-$1700.00
Food........+/-$800.00

Total...$3200 for 2 people

It cost me about $2800 for myself, wife and grandson for a week on St. Claire in May this year. We caught the [censored] out of big smallmouth without a guide.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/10/21 09:18 PM

I’d recommend this option.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/10/21 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
Doing a quick search for flight, AirBnB, and rental car. Leaving August 17th and flying home August 22nd.

Rental car (sedan) $880

Total: $4,895. That doesn't include any food. If you split the rental car, Airbnb & guide cost, you're at ~$3,050

I'm certain you could find cheaper flights, possibly rental car (it's 2-3 hour drive from Syracuse to Massena), a place to stay and a cheaper guide.

Originally Posted by Monty Wright

Rental car (sedan) $880

Damn....but $5k is about what I was expecting! Harder to look at broken down like that! I usually just like to spend and regret it later roflmao

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Last time we did it was 2016. Costs are below for one person...

Rountrip Airfare to Chicago.....$380
Rental car daily.......$80X4days = $320
Gas total = $150 (4.5hr drive to Traverse City)
Hotel $149/nightX 4= $596
Guide service www.northernadventuresfishing.com (prime time is late May) $600/dayX4 = $2,500 ($100tip)
Food $100/dayX4 = $400

TOTAL = $4346

You could prolly whittle off some here and there if you are frugal, but some areas may be more expensive such as rental cars. I recently tried to get rental car for ABQ for next month bus travels, and the ones that I could even find was costing around $300/day. That's why I'm driving out there. I won't pay that for a sub-compact car. It's only a 9-hr drive. GL and I hope this helps.

NICE! Im frugal....but im not cheap. id definitely try and cut costs if I could....but for it being a rare/special occassion I wouldnt cheap out and let money affect the experience. Seems like a good ballpark you all are figuring at

Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher
I think you could do Lake Michigan/Green Bay quite a bit cheaper.

Thats what I was kinda wondering if I could do it cheaper at not as hot a spot....but....is the fishing just as good there? Id rather spend the money since its not gonna be a yearly thing (might be after LOL) if st lawrence fishes better.

Originally Posted by Weavertree
I've pulled my boat (20' Skeeter) up north every May since 2008. A little preparation and its no big deal. Pulling my rig from Shreveport it typically takes 5 tanks of gas to get to Mille Lacs, Lake Michigan, Lake Erie and St. Claire. We stay at an Airbnb, cost per night runs $125 to $200. You don't need a guide; every smallmouth in the lake is pulling up into 10 fow or less depending on water clarity. 4 to 8' is generally in the money if rock is plentiful. They are not as hard to find as largemouth in general...just stay on the move till you find them. Week trip cost:
Gas...........+/-$700.00
Lodging... +/-$1700.00
Food........+/-$800.00

Total...$3200 for 2 people

It cost me about $2800 for myself, wife and grandson for a week on St. Claire in May this year. We caught the [censored] out of big smallmouth without a guide.

Im in a tin rig...17 footer with a baby 50hp on it. Im sure id get swallowed up at 5mph wind out there with it roflmao
Originally Posted by forkduc
I’d recommend this option.

Wish I could....trust me, I built my boat for me! Love that thing! Only has 1 seat too, so I can have more places to stand! LOL its my fishing machine.....but not sure it can handle those waters and make it back to the ramp
Posted By: basseditor

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/11/21 01:36 AM

I'm going to Green Bay and Sturgeon Bay around June 1 next year. The above is great info. If fishing is good, I might stay most of the summer.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/12/21 01:49 PM

I've fished the St Lawrence and a couple of lakes in Minnesota, and I never used a guide. I'd say compared to Texas the fishing is 10 times easier. If you go to NY and the smallmouth don't cooperate (which is doubtful), you can always take a spinnerbait with a big willowleaf blade and fish the grass for Northern Pike. They're super aggressive and fun to catch.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/12/21 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by bockscar
Or another one of those smallie factories. And im talking prime time of the season too for smallie fishing (when would that be btw?). What kinda coin would you need to drop to get from TX to one of those epic smallie lakes up north, and hire a guide for at least 4-5 days? Im assuming i cant rent my own boat...and probably wouldnt want to...that water can get scary quick it seems and id be like a chicken with my head cut off looking for them too.

Wondering what you guys spent whove done it? If i did it figure id have to do at least 4 days considering the overall investment in the trip. would make more sense to do as many days as possible i figure

in case youre wondering why im posting this fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvPjpO-uGk&ab_channel=WheelerFishing

If you decide to try Maine let me know. Can be easily done for $3000/week all inclusive. Pre spawn early May in Down East Maine, spawn mid-May. Southern Maine (Portland) go a week earlier. Slightly smaller fish with 5's more difficult to find. Plenty of 3-3.5# fish. Lots of different lakes.
Posted By: R83steve

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/12/21 08:04 PM

I wonder what the small mouth fishing would be like in these areas between now and October? And which area would be preferred? I'd definitely tow my boat.
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/13/21 05:05 AM

I just got back from Minnesota for 1 week smallmouth fishing. Me and 3 buddies drove, mainly because of all the stuff we wanted to bring. Rented a 42 foot houseboat for 7 days on Rainey Lake. Took us a couple days to figure out the smallmouth, but got a bunch once we found them. Rented 2 17 foot aluminum boats to fish out of. Had a blast. $1500 per person.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/13/21 01:02 PM

fish
Posted By: BAllen91

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/13/21 01:14 PM

We went to St Clair last year. Drove up there (16 hrs) in my buddies wife's Honda Accord so gas was cheap (40 MPG) and fished three days with a guide. Our AirBNB was pretty cheap so I'd say it cost us about $1,500 each.

First time up there I was a little intimated of taking my own boat which is a FX20. We're going back in two weeks this time we're taking my truck/boat and staying at an AirBNB on the lake. It's going to be much more expensive but we'll get to fish 7 days and on our own clock, it's worth it.
Posted By: BAllen91

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/13/21 01:16 PM

Speaking of this...does anyone have a Navionics chip they want to sell/rent/loan that covers the north???
Posted By: westxbass82

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/13/21 02:18 PM

Don’t forget the cost of a flogger!!!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/13/21 03:11 PM

First class trip around $5K total
Posted By: Teeners boat

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? - 07/13/21 04:44 PM

What about Table Rock Lake, any smallies in that lake?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum